WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

I didn't figure many being easy to draw in given the thru-hikers individualistic attitude and need to be moving on, especially by Rutland when they have been hiking for 4-5 months and are nearing the completion of their grand endeavor. --bfitz
    I would think this the case, too. But hearing how some thru-hikers obsess over hamburgers makes me think otherwise.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by njordan2 View Post
    They sound like decent people. Hippies. But decent people.
    They actually hand out little pamphlets that say things like, "Why the Hippie movement failed", and "Hippiecrit". They look like cult members to me.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    Buddhism isn't technically a religion because it has no deity to worship or pie in the sky when you die if you've been good and submitted to whatever social norms your oppressors wish you to abide by (i.e. wear your burka and shut up).
    Buddhists do not wear burkas. You really should avoid this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    Buddhism isn't technically a religion because it has no deity to worship or pie in the sky when you die if you've been good and submitted to whatever social norms your oppressors wish you to abide by (i.e. wear your burka and shut up).
    hmmm......

Actually that's a very fun game. You say "X isn't a religion because Yadda yadda yadda. Awesome game. It can be applied to any religion, and atheism also, of course. The because Yadda yadda yadda part is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Buddhists do not wear burkas. You really should avoid this topic.
    You need to reread his post. His point was that Buddhists do not have the sort of system that leads to things like the wearing of burkas.

In other words, he wasn't saying that Buddhists wear burkas. In fact, he was stating the opposite.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    You need to reread his post. His point was that Buddhists do not have the sort of system that leads to things like the wearing of burkas.

In other words, he wasn't saying that Buddhists wear burkas. In fact, he was stating the opposite.
    OK, now explain how Buddhism is not a religion or how any variation of technical should be in a sentence with religion.

Images

OK, now explain how Buddhism is not a religion or how any variation of technical should be in a sentence with religion.
    "Technical discussion of religion on an internet forum is crass."

That was easy. Got another one?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post

Crass??????? Where did that come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post

OK, I looked up your last few posts. Now I understand.

Images

OK, I looked up your last few posts. Now I understand.

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    Goin' hikin' tomorrow.
    Last edited by Skidsteer; 08-17-2010 at 21:34.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I don't bother explaining other people's points of view. I explain the content of a post when someone misreads it and then makes snarky comments based on their misunderstanding.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

re·li·gion
       /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ Show Spelled[ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
    –noun
    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    Admittedly, the second definition does refer to buddhism as a religion, but personally I tend toward defining religion as something requiring a god, and any set of beliefs that does not require worship of a "superhuman agency or agencies" as more of a philosophy, but it's true my definitions are anything but technical, except when intentionally using them as a basis for comparison, in which case the technicalities imposed by my definitions become necessarily valid. In any case, if you believe the gods' favor (or wrath) depend on a funny outfit or hairdo, or withdrawing from personal relationships with family members and/or loved ones, or assigning certain groups of people subservient status, you're probably in a cult. (Blue Jay et al: note use of the word "probably")

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    *warning: this post contains the meaning of life for you deep thinkers.
    Is the only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory

L.I.B Hal the Hiker finished the trail. tell Delta KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I was actually born in a Twelve Tribes community in West Minister Station, VT-- just south of Bellows Falls, VT. About an hour's drive from Rutland. I traveled on foot quite some time. I was born on the farm the Tribe still owns today. I only lived there for 3 months-- my parents had lived there 4 months prior to my birth. They also married in the community. Over the summer, I spent a week both at the farm in West Minister and the cafe/hostel in Rutland.

My take on the community is that they are a serious, over-worked, pious people. It is rare that you find folk who dedicate themselves fully to anything, and you can see in their faces a true devotion to matters holy-- both in the labor of thought and labor of the body. They don't really know how to relax. They are all workaholics, and this mentality is passed on to the children. The claims of child labor aren't completely unfounded. But let look at children today, in the larger American society. They live a life of excess, boredom, and amusement. I helped out an 12 year old boy who knew how to work a grain mill. Not only how to work it, but how to repair it as well. These are practical skills that most children don't have access to.

They are overworked, both by pressure of community leaders and also by their own guilt. They are God-fearing men. And one of the problems is that you don't really get to see the profits of your labor. All of the economics are hidden from sight.

They don't respect there women. The women in the community live under the ancient idea of the virtue of obedience. The women are even more worked than the men, even on the sabbath.

As with any serious devotion to faith or ideas, extreme consequences follow. The members of the faith hold humble, loving souls. They truly try everyday to love their fellow man and God as much as they can. They are very aware of their own short comings.

Also, my name is Chazaq. My name comes from the community. They have the custom of naming their children ancient Hebrew. It is the only mark I have saved from my birth in the community!

tell it to the marines.

fake fake fake.
    cult on rye with mayo on the side
    i hope i never am a 12 tribes
    hurt the kids
    bannish the women
    keep the cash
    and pay no tax.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chazaq View Post
    But let look at children today, in the larger American society. They live a life of excess, boredom, and amusement.
    Yeah, its called being a kid.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Cool Twelve Tribes Documentary.

My name is David Pike and I am the adminstrator/moderator and news editor for http://www.factnet.org/ and have been approached by a film production company http://www.crazylegsproductions.com/ to help with a new pilot/series they are making on cults for MSNBC.

Here is what I was sent...
    "We are producers partnered with a major news outlet, and are seeking families or individuals who were formerly involved in a demanding groups/organizations to share their stories. We are interested in both positive and negative experiences, and hope to hear from those who have separated from the group within the last 9 months. If you would like additional information, please email [email protected] and describe your current situation. Thank you."

I have been on the phone with them and the Twelve Tribes is on the "short list" to be the focus of the pilot. If not the pilot then for an episode for sure.

Chazaq, if you would care to be a part of this then please email the address above and they will be sure to contact you. You might get an auto response right away but they will email you personally within 48 hours.

If you have ex-member friends that might want to help please share this with them. And about the "9 month" thing... they are actually wanting to hear from all ex-members but are very interested in he newly exited and how they have re-adapted to functioning in the "world"

Also if you have any other questions you can email me at [email protected]. And yes I am a ex-member who lived in community for 7 years and finally left in 2004.

Thanks! And thanks White Blaze for allowing me to post here.

BTW I actually lived in Ritland for 6 months in 2002 and worked at the "Back Homer Again Cafe" and also helped build the hostel upstairs and the shoe store next door.

Nabashalam, how do we know you aren't trying to hunt down and recapture escaped cult members?

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++