WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I would change "bacon" to "pre-cooked bacon". It will still give off a little grease when you warm it up that could be used for cooking the eggs, but not so much that you have to worry about disposal. Would save all of that cooking time too.

I don't see the problem with bacon grease on the trail. Cool it down, spoon it into a squeezy-tube or ziploc, and you've got a great source of flavor and fat to add to your next few meals.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    I don't see the problem with bacon grease on the trail. Cool it down, spoon it into a squeezy-tube or ziploc, and you've got a great source of flavor and fat to add to your next few meals.
    I just posted a new post regarding the grease dilemma. I love to cook the bacon first and then cook the eggs but I hardly ever use all the grease since bacon produces ALOT of grease. I usually just empty the hot grease in a jar. But I didn't know what to do with it on the trail. However, this has answered my question along with the statement from the poster that worked at the cabin and gave away the jars (sorry, I'm not sure how to go back without losing my post). I'll take along a small container. Either a nalgene bottle or a plastic one. Glass may break and wouldn't that be a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Anybody else tried these? They taste just like what you'd get at a diner and one container makes an enormous amount. http://www.zestuous.com/wp-content/u...ungry-Jack.jpg
    The cheesy ones are great and would be the perfect use for some leftover bacon grease.

How long will eggs last un-refrigerated? I'm sure the temperature has a play in that, but say on an 85 degree day.

Chris ?
    Do you mean before the little ones start growing inside ? adds a little crunch to your scrambled eggs.
    Seriously, get an appropriate size zipp lock, at the end of the day cool down the extra eggs, during the day at stream stops, cool them down.
    If in doubt hard boil them. Great crumbled in Ramen, some sandwiches, or just the way they are.
    They last much longer hand boiled than raw. A good bit of salt sprinkled on the shells will keep some of the bacteria away.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Chris ?
    Do you mean before the little ones start growing inside ? adds a little crunch to your scrambled eggs.
    "A balut or balot is a developing duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam."

I lived in the Philippines for two years while in the USAF and never did try that. Ain't gawna. I hardly eat meat as it is. But it does exist. I've only seen eggs refrigerated in USA stores. I've never been to Europe so I don't know about there but the places I've lived in Central America and Asia have eggs in cartons sitting on the shelf with other dry foods. So I'm not sure how long eggs keep unrefrigerated. But I would eat them as soon as possible.

Sometimes, we equate things "done right" with doing things we are most familiar. Since the OP started by listing wts of all the ingredients in his B'fast "done right" recipe and still failing to account for the wt of the packaging, cookware, leftovers(potential bacon grease), etc he might consider powdered eggs(reconstituting them) and dry REAL Bacon Bits and whatever else he would like to flavor his eggs with. ANY eggs can be flavored in ways to make them taste like anything no matter if you're eating them cooked cracked from the shell or reconstituting. Powdered eggs(which go pretty far as far as carried volume) would be much lighter wt, less potential inconvenience in carrying, less waste, etc.

Although, I can attest how delish fresh pan fried bacon can be it does pose two potential issues 1) it's one of the strongest unnatural odors we can introduce into the woods that attract animals like bears. Pan frying any type of meat is going to be a strong critter enticement! Another strong unnatural odor that strongly attracts wildlife like bears is fish, cooked or uncooked, like sardines, etc. 2) bacon grease - this is NOT something I would want to carry in bear, wolf, coyote, rodent areas(aren't they every where?) nor dumping into the woods, ESPECIALLY AT CAMPING AREAS, because it surely is going to habituate these types of wildlife with humans.

If I wanted eggs and bacon on hikes I would go with the powdered eggs and either REAL Bacon Bits or that pre cooked bacon not fried to a crisp AND BEING EXTREMELY CAREFUL TO CONSUME and CLEAN up everything in a mindful way of how my B'fast "done right" will affect others who come after me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I've done the pre-scrambled eggs in the carton thing. You can burn the carton when your done.

!
    That's the 1st I heard of that!!! That's great...I love eggs. Got a link to a video? Will the eggs expand upward and over the top of the carton?

LOL. I don't think that's what he meant Zelph. Or did he? Maybe the laugh is on me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky:1811115
    No reason to have a special egg case. Just the foam egg container from the store is fine if you're careful with it. Put it in a big ziploc and wrap it in your fleece in the top of your pack.
    +1

I like to Di a liquid bfast. It help you get out of camp early. It uses no fuel, rehydrates you for the morning and tastes great.

2x carnation instant breakfast
    2x hot chocolate
    2-4x instant coffee
    32oz water bottle

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    LOL. I don't think that's what he meant Zelph. Or did he? Maybe the laugh is on me.
    I'm laughing with you, only a stove nut like me would think of that. Take a look at me boiling water in an a paper container. I'm using an 8 gram fancee feest style stove:

Now....cooking a container of scrambled eggs like he mentioned takes on a whole new meaning

Wow! I can't believe I'll be the first to mention eggs and bacon in a paper bag!

http://youtu.be/RB8Fz5XvcsM

Tada! All your backwoods culinary woes solved by this noob! I feel accomplished. ^_^

You can place the bacon at the bottom of the bag too. I feel like that's more efficient.

Also, one simple way of telling if an egg is bad is to drop it in a few inches of water, if it sinks it's still good, if it floats DO NOT eat. Bacteria has gotten to it.

These are pretty good. The process in which they are made is a little different.
    I know the OP is talking about fresh which there is no substitute cause I get guaranteed double yolkers for $2.00 for 15 from the trade day and they are the bomb. But these are the best I've tasted as far as substitutes go.
    http://www.nutriom.com/#all-natural-egg-crystals
    Last edited by atmilkman; 02-07-2014 at 19:50.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Wow! I can't believe I'll be the first to mention eggs and bacon in a paper bag!

http://youtu.be/RB8Fz5XvcsM

Tada! All your backwoods culinary woes solved by this noob! I feel accomplished. ^_^

You can place the bacon at the bottom of the bag too. I feel like that's more efficient.

Also, one simple way of telling if an egg is bad is to drop it in a few inches of water, if it sinks it's still good, if it floats DO NOT eat. Bacteria has gotten to it.
    I've done that a couple of times. It does work, although you have to watch for flareups, which leads to bacon flambe in a rather spectacular display.

Quote Originally Posted by Siarl:1845586
    I've only seen eggs refrigerated in USA stores. I've never been to Europe so I don't know about there but the places I've lived in Central America and Asia have eggs in cartons sitting on the shelf with other dry foods.
    Eggs have a natural protective coating on them to keep out bacteria while the chick develops. Here in America, we insist on making everything as clean as possible and so wash off the eggs (and therefore the coating) before eggs go to stores. After the coating is removed, they'll only last about 2 days unrefrigerated before they begin to go funky. Cooling at streams will help them last a bit longer, but the bacteria will still have crept into the egg pores by then.

Unwashed eggs, on the other hand, can last 2+ weeks unless the temp is just too high. Buy them locally (I've prearranged this with the help of something like craigslist) and make sure to double check that they have not been washed.

Images

Default breakfast done right

Fresh non fertilized eggs can last a week without refrigeration
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries
    Images

Two things I have learned. Eggs attract polecats and the point about bacon grease has been mentioned. It is way too messy and brings in critters for months. Town is the place for breakfast hook ups.

In Caribbean temps unrefrigerated eggs last three weeks. They should be turned occasionally and unlike a boat, if they sink they are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    How long will eggs last un-refrigerated? I'm sure the temperature has a play in that, but say on an 85 degree day.
    Depends on if the eggs have been refrigerated before. I think you have a month or two if they have not been refrigerated.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++