WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've incorporated the option of doing the loop into my Denver-Durango 2014 thru hike - with the idea of keeping the Collegiate East half of the loop optional depending on how the trip is going when I get to the point where I have to decide.

I plan to mail a resupply box to Twin Lakes and from there I'll hike the Collegiate West route picking up a resupply at Monarch Crest Store. I would continue past Monarch Pass/highway 50 and meet the main CT route in Segment 15 and turn northbound at that junction returning to cross highway 50 and hitch into Poncha Springs/Salida, stay at the hostel and resupply. The next day, I would either hitch up 285/24 to Twin Lakes or arrange a paid shuttle (probably $$$). Then resume the CT southbound on the Collegiate East route with the supplies purchased in Salida. When I reach US 50 again on the Collegiate East, go back to Salida, resupply, and then continue on southbound, probably choosing the Monarch Pass trailhead and repeating a short segment of the Collegiate West since there would be less elevation gain vs. repeating the short segment of the Collegiate East.

If I don't feel up to doing the loop, I will retain the option of just continuing south when the Collegiate west rejoins the main trail in Segment 15. I would plan to put enough supplies in the Monarch Crest Store resupply box to get to Creede in case I choose this option. Since I won't be mailing any supplies to Salida and instead resupplying in town, there won't be any wasted resupply box if I decide to skip the loop.

This seems workable to me based on my research as well as the good information posted above - if anyone sees a major flaw in my thinking, please let me know! Thanks!

There are 25 miles of new trail opening on the Collegiate West route this year. This includes some spectacular new high altitude hiking, and will be a major highlight for both the CT and CDT. About 16 miles of it is on the divide at altitudes between 12,000' and 12,800'. Because of the location and elevation, I anticipate snow may often be an issue in the early season. Depending upon when you start your hike, it might make sense to do the east side first to give the west a few more days to melt out.

A number of hikers hiked the entire loop last summer, but I am not aware of any that did so as part of a thru hike. That would probably be a first.

Efforts are presently underway at the CTF to produce a new mapbook for the 2014 season that will show all the new trail. It should be done sometime in January and updated waypoints will be available for downloading then. If you are dying of curiosity the route can be found in the CDT waypoints for Colorado, which are available now.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Efforts are presently underway at the CTF to produce a new mapbook for the 2014 season that will show all the new trail. It should be done sometime in January and updated waypoints will be available for downloading then. If you are dying of curiosity the route can be found in the CDT waypoints for Colorado, which are available now.
    Do you know whether the CTF offer maps just for the new Collegiate West route? I have the current (2013) map book. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Do you know whether the CTF offer maps just for the new Collegiate West route? I have the current (2013) map book. Thanks.
    I don't have the answer for that right now. If you want to e-mail me in mid January I should know something.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Check me on this but the CDT maps in this area can be used for the Collegiate West Colorado Trail Route. Look at those CDT maps and the CT maps that are available and you should have the maps you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Check me on this but the CDT maps in this area can be used for the Collegiate West Colorado Trail Route. Look at those CDT maps and the CT maps that are available and you should have the maps you need.
    This is new trail that was not in service last summer - it has never been open before. The CT and the Collegiate Peaks Loop Mapbooks which were published last winter for 2013, depict the old route which follows Jeep roads. The only publication that currently shows this is the new CDT Colorado Mapbook which was published a month ago for 2014 hikers. The current CT Guidebook and Data Book do not show it and they will not be updated for a couple of years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++