WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Exclamation Andrew Skurka Lecture - 11/12/13 - Randolph NJ

Boy Scout Troop 95, Sussex District, Patriot's Path Council is sponsoring Andrew Skurka to speak at Randolph Middle School, Tuesday 11/12/13 at 7:00pm.

Andrew will be presenting his 110 minute Gear and Skills Clinic with an emphasis on Philmont and how to prepare for it. There will also be a gear raffle during the intermission.

Andrew Skurka is an accomplished adventure athlete, speaker, guide, and writer. The 31-year-old is most well known for his solo long-distance backpacking trips, notably the 4,700-mile 6-month Alaska-Yukon Expedition, the 6,875-mile 7-month Great Western Loop, and the 7,775-mile 11-month Sea-to-Sea Route. In total, he has backpacked, skied, and packrafted 30,000+ miles through many of the world’s most prized backcountry and wilderness areas—the equivalent of traveling 1.2 times around Earth’s equator! He is the author of The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide: Tools & Tips to Hit the Trail.

The cost is $12 for individuals and $8 per person for groups of 20 or more.

If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm going to try getting there. THX for the info.

I saw Andrew in Western Michigan in April, 2012 and he has a great presentation, you and others will learn from him. He's also a good guy, has an easy going personality and shows no ego at all. I also enjoyed his book.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    I saw Andrew in Western Michigan in April, 2012 and he has a great presentation, you and others will learn from him. He's also a good guy, has an easy going personality and shows no ego at all. I also enjoyed his book.
    I was wondering who he is, what he's done, what his presentations are about, his character, personality, if he ever did anything interesting or anything worthwhile to follow up on, ever wrote a book, had a website, was ever sponsored, what his back round story was, etc Does he hike? If so does he walk the talk? Does he have anything worthwhile to say about long distance hiking? I heard something about a Great Western Loop, American Discovery Trail, 7000 mile Walk across Antarctica, the PCT, CDT, AT, Hayduke Tr, Sierra High Route etc etc etc. Think he has anything good to share about those things. If he hikes is he a good ambassador of his sport/activity. And, most of all I want to know who cuts his hair?

Major Dancin Bananas and Smiley Grins for Andrew Skurka.

it's just walkn'. get fit and do it

LW, when you " just walk" across Antarctica or from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean or complete a 7000 mile Great Western Loop come back and tell me that. Maybe then I'll see it more your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    LW, when you " just walk" across Antarctica or from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean or complete a 7000 mile Great Western Loop come back and tell me that. Maybe then I'll see it more your way.
    Andy hasn't hiked across Antarctica, or the American Discovery trail for that matter.

It may just be walking, but it sure is a LOT of it.

And Michael Jordan was "just" a basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    And Michael Jordan was "just" a basketball player.
    Michael Jordan was (and still is) more overrated than Andrew Skurka. I saw Jordan play in person multiple times and would gladly trade all of those for the chance to see Skurka in person. Unfortunately NJ is just too stinking far away.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by ajwatson View Post
    Andy hasn't hiked across Antarctica, or the American Discovery trail for that matter.

It may just be walking, but it sure is a LOT of it.
    I stand corrected. Thanking you for checking me. He did the 7775 mile Sea to Sea Route(which I think does overlap the ADT a bit, correct me if I'm wrong) from the Atlantic to Pacific through all four seasons as a thru-hike which is pretty damn impressive to this long distance hiker. Got my poles mixed up too. Should have said 4700 mile Alaska Yukon Expedition. Pretty damn impressive as well. And, lets not forget the Alaska Four Range 800 mile hike(that was some grueling terrain from what I know) and a very impressive 1st place finish in the 180 mile Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic with only 2 hrs of sleep. I don't always get so excited about hiking resumes but he's right up there with some of the most innovative hikers in the modern era. And, let's not marginalize his many achievements; it's not just the number of miles, it's also the way in which he does them and what he has creatively come up with WHILE staying fairly grounded. He didn't just hike(LOL) the 6900 or so mile Great Western Loop he came up with it as well as creating other routes. . He doesn't get recognized for BSing about long distance hiking but pushing the boundaries by doing it. He conducts himself well. It's also the way in which his character shines in representing the long distance hiking community. It's typically the whole person I'm looking at with who I name. Some of the most impressive hikers from a trail mileage stand pt who are well traveled(various terrains, geographical regions big mileage long distance hikers in recent memory who are still out there displaying good character and routinely pushing the boundaries of long distance hiking IMO are Andy and Nimblewill Nomad(what's he up to?, something like 60K +trail miles on different trails, he's a character when he gets going).

There are a great many impressive hiking achievements but a few others that immediately come to mind, AND I KNOW I'M LEAVING OUT MANY: Earl Schaffer(he must have gotten lost and bewildered regularly determining which way to proceed in his AT Bushwack(LOL) so many times(he said that too), intrepid character, we have it as ATers SO easy compared to what he did), Bill Irwin(I can't fathom hiking blind for 2000+miles, tripping and falling as many times as he says he did and yet he kept getting up, that's determination and heart), Thomas also did the AT as a blind person(unassisted, pretty ballsy) JPD(averaging that daily mileage, chugga chugga choo choo, top shelf character, whew), Trauma, Williamson(nice guy, actually almost all that I ever was fortunate to meet are damn nice folks!), Swami, Flying Brian, Tapon, Billy Goat, Yogi(she'll shortly have two Crowns), etc, I like what Schlosberg and Treinish did in the Andes too. I could go on and on. There are so many to recognize as hikers and even more that help make it happen, trail maintainers, trail angels............... Feel free to throw some out there.

Most of his Alaska hike was filmed by National Geographic and can be see here> http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...ecture-nglive/

Journal Entries

I think Skurka is pretty awesome guy, and a great athlete and leader in the field of extended wilderness backpacking, if that can even be called a field. It might just be a field of 1.

But this is just to make him a few bucks. Even superstar hikers gotta make a living, and they have to do it off of their own accomplisments. That means endorsements, books, talks, etc.

He has a philmont list in his book. Its an incomplete list however, missing a few things Philmont requires. Im sure he knows by now what needed to be included that wasnt.

The great thing about Skurka, is he THINKS. he tests concepts in real world conditions on trips, and he reports. He tests cutting edge ways of doing things light, and then disseminates it to others.

For instance, hes about the only one who has experimented with and described the use of vapor barriers in serious extended winter hiking and camping to keep down from de-lofting due to moisture absorption.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-30-2013 at 21:29.

++ New Posts ++