WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I want to go, but i can't commit yet, I will let everyone know once we get closer to January.
    That sounds like a good time! Wish I could go too! Don't forget to take lots of pics!

Teach, you'll figure this out with a lil help from ur friends. You're smart like that...

You'll have so much FUN!

Teach-
    Saw this in the corner of the link you posted- Kelty makes good enough specialty bags-http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...roduct_rr_5_37

That said- when you are talking one odd trip (specialty gear)- maybe better off spending some bucks on some more useful supplements.
    As Malto mentioned-
    You pad is probably a bit lite- but rather than dropping dough on a winter model- how about picking up a blue foamy or Zrest- cost $20-$40 to supplement your current pad.
    I just got GoLite's new catalogue- lots of new options including this- http://www.golite.com/Womens-Bitterr...et-P47082.aspx
    Dropping $200 on a sweet down puffy is a nice and more likely to be used investment.
    Zpacks goose hood or similar may even do the job in combo with your pad. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/gooosehood.shtml
    While a bit wasteful- for a single trip- $20 worth of handwarmer packets strategically placed in your pits, inner thighs, socks and even hat will get you through the trip too if this is a one time deal.

If you are thinking of taking the summer quilt plunge- an M50/Apex quilt with a drawstring footbox would slip right over and supplement your current bag for around $100. Materials at Thru-hiker.com

BUT- since you are on the back end of the height bell curve- check out the usual clearance suspects- you can find zero degree youth bags (usually cut for 5'6) that may do the job for cheaper than any of the above items. Short wide mens cold weather bags can also be found for cheap- or in Mags closet.

Have you thought about hot water bottles?
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Hey Teacher, if this is really for a one time trip, call your local REI or East Mountain Sports and ask about gear rentals, you may be able to rent a zero degree bag and winter pad from the for a much lower price than it would cost to buy new gear.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Anyone have an opiniion?

don't think anyone will have an opiniion(what's that?)

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I want to go, but i can't commit yet, I will let everyone know once we get closer to January.
    BUT YOU SHOULD BE COMMITTED !! (as should the rest of us )
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you Teacher, and am waiting for the colder temps of the fall to blow in so I can do some experiments in the back yard.
    So where do we try this? Your backyard or mine?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks everyone....you've certainly helped me organize my thoughts a bit a look at my options.

1) I already own a pair of CCF pads, so adding them to our inflatables.
    2) I can use the fleece liner I have inside my current bag...though it might be a little close.
    3) I have hand/foot/body warmers my son brought home from bootcamp, or I could get more from a hiking dept.
    4) I can make myself a lightweight quilt or "boot"....I have the means and materials already.
    5) I need a down or puffy jacket anyway....sleeping in it is easy enough. I might look into some down pants and booties too.

Ok....so this appears to be no real problem, just a case of figuring out what's really necessary. Thanks everyone for the ideas, and for getting me to focus so I can figure out what will work best for us. I know I can come up with a jury-rig to satisfy almost any need, but sometimes it's better to just buy your way through it. Having help with that decision is the beauty of having WB friends.....that and hot muffins on a cold morning from a homemade penny stove!

Oh, and if all else fails, I'll be sleeping in proximity to a 12yr old furnace...I should survive.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I'm going to need something warmer than the Kelty Cosmic 20 Down for the winter I suspect. Does anyone have a favorite or a suggestion? I found this one, and the weight/warmth/price ration seems good, but I really have no clue.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...14966.12669396
    I like the green.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I like the green.
    Me too! It's a selling point for me!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

There's a fair chance that what we hit in Harriman will be only slightly more severe than what we had last weekend. Temps hovering aorund freezing and sloppy wet snow are par for the course there. The place doesn't get mountain weather; it's all at a pretty low elevation.

Unless the weatherman comes up with something really nasty, I'll plan on my 20 degree bag, layering my Thermarest with a blue foam pad and maybe a piece of Reflectix, wearing fleecies (and my puffy if I must) to bed, and sleeping with my tent buttoned up (I have the Tarptent Notch with the half-solid side panels, so it's warmer than some.) I think my tent might be warmer than the cabin was, at least once the fire was out. I got quite a draft between the door and the cracked window behind my bunk.

This plan may get revised if I happen to score a terrific price on a winter-weight bag between now and then.

Some of the older shelters in Harriman have fireplaces.

If you're "fine once you're warmed up," then one of us will boil you up a hot water bottle so you won't need to get into a cold bag. (That's also a good way to ensure that you have water that isn't frozen in the morning!)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

As we have said in other similar winter bag discussions, the sleeping bag is the tip of the iceberg (pun intended) when it comes to a winter sleeping system.
    What will you be wearing in the bag? Will there be a Nalgene bottle of hot water wrapped in a stuff sack or two inside your bag? Wool on your head, hands & feet? Down booties? All of these things are important. What is between you and the ground has already been addressed: more R-Value is better.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Just happened to notice a women's petite winter bag at the REI outlet: http://www.rei.com/product/864278/bi...-2012-closeout . That one is cheaper than the one you saw at Dick's, and would be overklll for Harriman - meaning that even a cold sleeper like you should be good with it.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think it would behoove me to upgrade some of my items, such as hat, gloves, etc., which can be done at little cost. I have a few "magic" items to help, but I think some wooly mittens are in order.

Of course once I warm up, all this stuff will be strewn across the tent floor and icy in the morning....or stuffed in the boot of the bag!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Just happened to notice a women's petite winter bag at the REI outlet: http://www.rei.com/product/864278/bi...-2012-closeout . That one is cheaper than the one you saw at Dick's, and would be overklll for Harriman - meaning that even a cold sleeper like you should be good with it.
    I did notice this one, AK, but I'm not a fan of the BA system of having no bottom insulation and requiring you buy their pad to fit into a pocket, increasing their already steep price. It looks really wonderful and toasty though!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime:1811933
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I did notice this one, AK, but I'm not a fan of the BA system of having no bottom insulation and requiring you buy their pad to fit into a pocket, increasing their already steep price. It looks really wonderful and toasty though!
    most inflatable pads will fit the Big Agnes sleeve okay

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    most inflatable pads will fit the Big Agnes sleeve okay
    See HB? I didn't know that! I'm already doing it all wrong!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    So where do we try this? Your backyard or mine?
    Both, I can get wifi out to about 30 feet in the side yard....might even have to sign back up for "Skype"

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh no! Now I have to get one of those stupid snuggy things so I can use my arms out of the sleeping bag to be on the computer? That doesn't sound quite right......

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Both, I can get wifi out to about 30 feet in the side yard....might even have to sign back up for "Skype"
    Ahh.... Sweet!! :>)

Teach, you got it made girl. With all these friends helping you out?

I mean, the guys heating up hot water bottles for ya!?! You are LOVED!! Snacktime will have a blast too, I'm sure.

You helped out Buddy and fam. & thought of someone else. Then , it all comes right back around to you and Snacktime. Ah- mazin!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++