Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Wild Reese Witherspoon portrays the PCT's most famous section hiker

Link to the Daily Mail article.

I'm not sure how I feel about this film. Surely it will bring more hikers to Campo, giddy to head North. Is that a good thing?
    Although they aren't needed to complete a thru, a significant increase in hikers is going to put a massive strain on the trail angels from KM South.
    Will the increase in thru hikers force the park service to discontinue the PCT NP permit or, will they charge $100 for this convenience?
    I'm guessing the entrepreneurial minded will benefit, as will the PCTA and ALDHA West.
    The plumbing at Lake Morena is going to get wrecked and ADZPCTKO will become a legit thruhiker festival.

Those more obscure out routes from the PCT/JMT will possibly see greater use. Let's see, where will the majority quit who got romanticized by Reese, the story, and the movie portraying the Hollywood version of a PCT thru bail or how will a PCT thru be cheapened? Hopefully, my negative account is totally off base. Hopefully, MOST will get something good from the hike and equally give something(s) good back!

"ADZPCTKO will become a legit thruhiker festival." I don't know if you're implying something negative with that statement but I thought it already was, a VERY WELL RUN one at that. Overall, those involved in Damascus at Trail Days do a very good job as well. PCT hiker numbers already tax the resources of trail angels like the Saufleys. I can't see them expanding much beyond their current capacity. Donna knows that. It's turned into an overwhelming like job for them when a certain number of hikers is reached there. As much as they may not want to they may have to start turning some away at times. That's their call. They may have to or a system put into place that spreads out the bubble. I've been there when 300+ hikers roamed nearly every inch outside the house inside the walls. Impact becomes too great and the NPS will take measures. The site of the ADZPCTO can be changed as it has been in the past. Shame, that is a nice location. this is all hypothesizing though.

Well, I sure hope they don't ruin the movie by makin' Reese perform all those steamier parts

Images

My wife is in the middle of that book and I can't wait to read it after she's done. I did have to laugh at the article when it said Reese W had muscular legs. Her thighs and calves are the same circumference, which in my book, is not muscular.

AHHHHH, the buzz on the moe-vie has started by hikers. Whew, I don't want to guess where this will lead. I know others will opine extensively.

Good choice for the role. She's got the drinking part down pat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQIRkZjmEP8

Is this movie set in the 80s? External frame pack, leather boots, and no trekking poles.

the pack is so big she can probably use it as a bivy sack.

:-)
    Let me go

At least the pack "looks" like a pack. On TV sit coms they usually use an external that is stuffed to the max with paper or styrofoam and shape of the pack is perfectly straight and has 90 degree corners.

Images

I do have to give anyone props who can carry a pack that is 90% as heavy as they are.

If she gets hurt hiking during the filming she can hire noted attorney Elle Woods to handle the lawsuit.

the wheel in the sky keeps on turning. And it's only started. the frenzy is on. i'm staying out of the soon to be bloody water when tiger and great whites are roaming the area.

Images

I did notice that her calves are way too skinny for a hiker.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I was chuckling how during watching The Way the 'full' pack Martin Sheen picked up and hoisted on his back behaved like an empty pack (stuffed with styrofoam) it was.
    Let me go

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Is this movie set in the 80s? External frame pack, leather boots, and no trekking poles.
    1995. GEar is about right for that time esp if a person was new to backpacking. Pretty much what I did on my first trips in 1996.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I was chuckling how during watching The Way the 'full' pack Martin Sheen picked up and hoisted on his back behaved like an empty pack (stuffed with styrofoam) it was.
    Noticed it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "ADZPCTKO will become a legit thruhiker festival." I don't know if you're implying something negative with that statement but I thought it already was, a VERY WELL RUN one at that. Overall, those involved in Damascus at Trail Days do a very good job as well.
    I just checked the site. On the about us page, it specifically says the event "has gone legit," it's now a registered 501c3 charitable organization. So... I'm a stooge. The event is awesome, the name is awful. The clunky 8 letter acronym is unnecessary, it can't be pronounced as a word and is hard to remember. PCT Kick Off, Launch Party, Opening Weekend, Hiker Trash Border Bash, The Crest Fest or something else might be better but, given it's legal now, the name is unlikely to change. Its not a big deal really, everyone calls it the PCT kickoff anyway.

Just for fun, who wants to bet that this will be the final image of the movie. The image will be shown for ~30 seconds, during which a short paragraph accounting for Strayed's present day whereabouts is superimposed to fade in and out. Along with the image, an obscure pop song or cover will be playing. Image fades to black, role credits. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Well, I sure hope they don't ruin the movie by makin' Reese perform all those steamier parts
    She's definitely pink blaze material.

Fairway, we weren't on the same page. Thanks for clarifying "legit." Gotcha now.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    She's definitely pink blaze material.
    Uhh I'm not commenting on that in my comment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++