Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    the pack is so big she can probably use it as a bivy sack.

:-)
    Emergency S.O.P. back in the day. "Empty your pack. Stick your feet in. Use the pack as a demi-bivy bag and your anorak to cover your torso."

Mags, my pack inventory in 1996 is the same as it is today: Rivendell Jensen Frameless with external pockets and a Dana Design Terraplane. Neither is broke. I ain't "fixing" them.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I am frankly amazed that the movie company was able to find that aluminum-plastic hybrid frame and high top rough out boots in her size. I'm guessing the source was "Closeouts R Us" online. Even I never owned such things.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Don't mind the haters Reese. HYOH baby doll. Can we hike a few miles together, anywhere, even in Alabama? Tell me all about your dreams and doubts. Here here cry on my shoulder. Let me give ya a hug. Sure Reesey pooh, I'll carry some of your gear for you. Ummm, I'm, uhh here to help Reese. Reese, you're too wasted to drive. I'm OK to drive. Sirens, flashing lights. May I see your license, proof of insurance. and registration sir? Yiccup. Shurly ossifer. Shutt up Reese, Shutt the heal up. Now u did it. Put your hands behind your back sir. No idea what she's really like in person but I'd hike with her. She seems like a jokester.

Section Hiker

When you're bashing Reese as Cheryl, I have to ask you, did you READ the book "Wild?" She was not a hiker before she hit that trail. She was a mess.

I think people are forgetting who she was before she did that hike, all the back story... I think it will work with Reese--the story is far more about a personal journey than a record-breaking super-hiker tale. Anish and Odyssa she was not.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

From what my wife tells me, Cheryl was basically penniless on the hike, and relied a lot on the generosity of trail angels and other hikers. I can't wait to read it.

I have no problem with Reese as Cheryl, I am just amazed that it caught someone's attention enough to make a movie out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    From what my wife tells me, Cheryl was basically penniless on the hike, and relied a lot on the generosity of trail angels and other hikers. I can't wait to read it.

I have no problem with Reese as Cheryl, I am just amazed that it caught someone's attention enough to make a movie out of it.
    Probably largely due to some pretty big book sales, the numbers are what they are, and the buzzards just follow suite...coarse someone dose have to take a chance that it'll not bomb at the box office. I look forward to seeing it.

Stop it stop it Slbirnerd. Stop making sense. I only want to continue seeing events, stories told, and the bigger picture through my eyes and as things pertain to what I'd do. I demand only fanatical UL solo thru-hiking cowboy camping trail runners only long distance speed record breaking male Caucasian oriented Vegan trail food eating NO mountain bikes allowed hiking trail stories! And damn it I only want to here about east coast AT oriented hiking.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Mags, my pack inventory in 1996 is the same as it is today: Rivendell Jensen Frameless with external pockets and a Dana Design Terraplane. Neither is broke. I ain't "fixing" them.

Wayne
    Good to know.

I'd rather not use my 1996 gear which is not far off the Terraplane (EMS 5500) and I'll leave the heavy leather boots for when I am ski touring rather than on a well maintained trail. Still have a whisperlite and the steel pots are now the car camping kit.

Me in 1996 IIRC with my buddy Tim.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-30-2013 at 14:53.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I see no resemblance at all. And, why didn't they consider a blonde haired Zoey Deschanel for the role? Does Reese even know French? I want a French actress casted in the lead role. Is Reese hung up on the Swedish anti-spanking issue? Reese has the capability to play this roll very well. The producers and director thought so too, and I think she will but that isn't just determined by her.

I started reading the book a while back after checking it out from the library back but couldn't really relate to it and stopped early on. But I'll go to any movie Reese Witherspoon stars in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I want a French actress casted in the lead role.
    Cuz they don't shave?

So are the majority of male long distance hikers French?

The fact that she was a mess before she stepped on the trail and the details of it is exactly why I haven't read this book. I'm too tired reading repetitive stories...I'm getting old...I've seen too many similar movies, read too many similar books, listened to too many similar stories before.

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    When you're bashing Reese as Cheryl, I have to ask you, did you READ the book "Wild?" She was not a hiker before she hit that trail. She was a mess.

I think people are forgetting who she was before she did that hike, all the back story... I think it will work with Reese--the story is far more about a personal journey than a record-breaking super-hiker tale. Anish and Odyssa she was not.
    Let me go

Long as it ain't sub titled...don't care....took me thirty years to get through Tora Tora Tora, and I anin't goin through that again.

No it aint. That's a pic of a younger Chris ODonnell(Robin in batman and Robin) and Cuba Gooding Jr. who played in the never released epic The way to the top of Mt Washington. I hear they drove to the summit and if you look closely those packs were stuffed with old crunched newspapers.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    But I'll go to any movie Reese Witherspoon stars in.
    I agree, except of course, Four Christmases.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Good to know.

I'd rather not use my 1996 gear which is not far off the Terraplane (EMS 5500) and I'll leave the heavy leather boots for when I am ski touring rather than on a well maintained trail. Still have a whisperlite and the steel pots are now the car camping kit.

Me in 1996 IIRC with my buddy Tim.

clearly you were doing it wrong

Images

Hiking John & Robin_NEW.jpg
    Sorry to say this is me in 1982 at Tuckerman's Ravine. Note the boots and socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin2013AT View Post
    Hiking John & Robin_NEW.jpg
    Sorry to say this is me in 1982 at Tuckerman's Ravine. Note the boots and socks.
    And when I hiked the AT we always hiked wherever we went uphill and ate only dirt and white bread AND we liked it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++