WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nice Out

Default Nice Out

How many of you have made a "lifestyle choice", to live where you can go walk a couple of miles, spend the night under the stars, maybe even on the AT, without having to decide to ahead of time.
    Just decided. Going walkin'. See you tomorrow. I know I'm not the only one.

I wish ... right now I have to drive 2 hrs to get to the trailhead ... there are closer places, but none in which I can escape ...

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    How many of you have made a "lifestyle choice", to live where you can go walk a couple of miles, spend the night under the stars, maybe even on the AT, without having to decide to ahead of time.
    me. for the last 28 years. i'm walkin' trash

Images

Soon. Yep...soon.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

The best things in life are free.
    Simple is good.

Not yet. I may live to hike but I haven't made it to the hike to live phase yet.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Right there with you & LW, aficion. Now that I'm no longer a part of the working world (nor married, nor saddled with home ownership, kids are adults), I've purposely adopted a very minimalist way of living. Lot's of places to "disappear" here in my neck of the woods. Many notable trails in my area , incl. 20 min. to the NET (aka M-M Trail), 45 min. to the AT (Mt. Greylock) & an hour to the LT at the Vt-Ma line or the Taconic crest Trail. Easy access to wherever I please in Ma, Vt, NH, Me, Ct & NY............all with beautiful & remote places/trails that I can get to....whenever I feel like it!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Surprisingly nice trails on VA side of Potomac upriver from DC but no legal camping so only good for day hikes.

i can cure "springer fever" any time i want

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i can cure "springer fever" any time i want
    yeah but i got the beach.
    oh frack, hurricanes , i forgot.
    well the mtns are only 90 minutes away.

Me! I choose to live in Hawaii part of the yr, changed my career choice(majors) mid stream, adopted a simpler non status quo seeking less materialistic attitude(don't own a TV for example, prefer to walk, cycle, or take public transit, etc), question consumption, question habits as they can quickly turn into grabby addictions, live very frugally(realistically could be raking in a high six figure paycheck if I wanted), sold all my businesses, am willing to routinely live out of a backpack for long periods, etc all so that I can enjoy the outdoors, commune with NATURE MORE OFTEN, feel like I'm living on the edge at times, and possibly be exposed to a greater awareness. I enjoy embracing the unknown as I know in that place is the realm of all possibilities. I want to know I'm truly alive, to realize and display in my actions that Life is a precious gift, that each moment is to be cherished, to be mindful how I spend my time as it's a HUGELY valuable commodity in the few decades we walk the Earth. What might that say about me. Last thing I want is to live my life from a Lazy Boy Recliner(or in front of a computer or gabbing away or through a soap opera or ir-reality TV show) as I complacently fall into a stupor letting myself be badly brain washed by the airwaves dying a slow death of mediocrity and mundane living. Reeks of the worst odor to me.

Ahh, breathe, breathe. However, one should not assume you need live in the backcountry or in places like Maine or Hawaii or Alaska to enjoy the outdoors. I notice plenty of mindful intelligent city planners and developers offering outdoor space to pursue activities like cycling/running/hiking trails, gardening, paddling, athletic fields, etc. Heck, if I'm creative and open enough to the possibilities I can be in a major city and find solitude, sereneness, stars, green fields, contentment, places to enjoyably stroll, laugh, something to appreciate, etc as those things aren't always things and they are as much internal as external. Look at what my friend Snorkel did when she did that 3 day 100 mile hike through LA as articled in a recent edition of Backpacker mag. She went in with a right attitude(and kept hold of it), took the hike in context of what it was(not what it wasn't!), focused on mostly the good things and the things to appreciate yet kept her awareness up, focused on finding ways to appreciate the trek, stayed true to who she is at heart, AND as a result had a decent experience. Love it. Way to go Snorkel!

U know I have to give credit to 10-k too. He helped me see things differently. I was starting to get a little pissy in my accounts of the GA Pinhoti section through Dalton. He said something to the effect: "You just gotta take the hike in that section for what it currently is." In affect saying don't look at that section for what it isn't. Look at it from the perspective of of the possible benefits that it affords. I took something meaningful and helpful advice by what he said. I had to cease being so negative about that section. If I had taken the attitude as 10-k said when I hiked that section I would have likely had a better experience through that section. Why do I say all that. Because it relates to having a greater appreciation for opps that are available. It helps in noticing the varied beauty all around. And, it affects are lives and our lifestyles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Me! I choose to live in Hawaii part of the yr, changed my career choice(majors) mid stream, adopted a simpler non status quo seeking less materialistic attitude(don't own a TV for example, prefer to walk, cycle, or take public transit, etc), question consumption, question habits as they can quickly turn into grabby addictions, live very frugally(realistically could be raking in a high six figure paycheck if I wanted), sold all my businesses, am willing to routinely live out of a backpack for long periods, etc all so that I can enjoy the outdoors, commune with NATURE MORE OFTEN, feel like I'm living on the edge at times, and possibly be exposed to a greater awareness. I enjoy embracing the unknown as I know in that place is the realm of all possibilities. I want to know I'm truly alive, to realize and display in my actions that Life is a precious gift, that each moment is to be cherished, to be mindful how I spend my time as it's a HUGELY valuable commodity in the few decades we walk the Earth. What might that say about me. Last thing I want is to live my life from a Lazy Boy Recliner(or in front of a computer or gabbing away or through a soap opera or ir-reality TV show) as I complacently fall into a stupor letting myself be badly brain washed by the airwaves dying a slow death of mediocrity and mundane living. Reeks of the worst odor to me.

Ahh, breathe, breathe. However, one should not assume you need live in the backcountry or in places like Maine or Hawaii or Alaska to enjoy the outdoors. I notice plenty of mindful intelligent city planners and developers offering outdoor space to pursue activities like cycling/running/hiking trails, gardening, paddling, athletic fields, etc. Heck, if I'm creative and open enough to the possibilities I can be in a major city and find solitude, sereneness, stars, green fields, contentment, places to enjoyably stroll, laugh, something to appreciate, etc as those things aren't always things and they are as much internal as external. Look at what my friend Snorkel did when she did that 3 day 100 mile hike through LA as articled in a recent edition of Backpacker mag. She went in with a right attitude(and kept hold of it), took the hike in context of what it was(not what it wasn't!), focused on mostly the good things and the things to appreciate yet kept her awareness up, focused on finding ways to appreciate the trek, stayed true to who she is at heart, AND as a result had a decent experience. Love it. Way to go Snorkel!

U know I have to give credit to 10-k too. He helped me see things differently. I was starting to get a little pissy in my accounts of the GA Pinhoti section through Dalton. He said something to the effect: "You just gotta take the hike in that section for what it currently is." In affect saying don't look at that section for what it isn't. Look at it from the perspective of of the possible benefits that it affords. I took something meaningful and helpful advice by what he said. I had to cease being so negative about that section. If I had taken the attitude as 10-k said when I hiked that section I would have likely had a better experience through that section. Why do I say all that. Because it relates to having a greater appreciation for opps that are available. It helps in noticing the varied beauty all around. And, it affects are lives and our lifestyles.
    Okay, I hear everything you said, Dogwood, and I agree 100%. :>)

Now, just transfer everything you just said about finding beauty in all surroundings & think about all the different people you meet. Same thing. Don't ever try to squeeze others into a mold of how you think they should be, think or act. I've been there. Don't see people for what they are not. Except them just the way they are & find the beauty in them. It's there, Dogwood... it's there. You are a deep thinker, that's why I like to share this with you. I enjoy deep thinkers. :>)

aficion... good for you for getting outside tonight.

I was sitting in my car in a parking lot right by I81 waiting to go for a walk/run with my daughter this afternoon. I was looking up at the sky admiring the clouds & blue sky when all of a sudden a flock of starlings appeared in the sky. They moved together is such a beautiful way, it blew my mind. I was in awe.

My reaction to seeing something like that is always the same.... a beautiful sunset, sunrise too many things to even try to list. I have this intense desire to worship the creator of these things. Every fiber of my being wants to bow down & worship the Creator. I love to be outside to enjoy the creation.

I understand that things aren't perfect, far from it, but I want to embrace the good things.
    There are still a lot of good things to be found, when you pay attention to it.

Every day I'm thankful for where I live and that most other people live some place else.
    SAM_0657.jpg For example, todays sun set.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Not as close as I'd like to be to the AT, but I'm really close to several rivers, and I can kayak in less than 30 minutes! That helps me "scratch the itch" in between the times when I can go hiking.

Images

... to live where you can go walk a couple of miles, ... without having to decide to ahead of time. Just decided. Going walkin'. See you tomorrow. I know I'm not the only one.
    Oh, the irony. As you were posting, I was returning from just such a day! Two friends (one back in town for a day) invited me on Tuesday night to go day hike with them on Thursday. So ... I went! Not on the AT, but a very nice trail where I've never set foot a couple of hours away on the Cumberland Plateau here in Tennessee. What a beautiful day it was, and great footpath along a river.

Now we plan to take some beginners there some time soon and spread the free wealth.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Every day I'm thankful for where I live and that most other people live some place else.
    Slo-go'en's doing it right.

The view out my front door every morning makes the long train ride to work worth it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I don't live close to any really good trail but being retired I have plenty of time to drive a few hours to get to some nice trails. My wife is pretty good about my addiction so everything is cool. Most times I decide to leave pretty much as a spur of the moment thing. Not as good as living in Damascus but it will have to do.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Slo-go'en's doing it right.

The view out my front door every morning makes the long train ride to work worth it.
    +1 on this......living in a locale that is convenient to the lifestyle makes things much easier! BTW....congrats Shelton, Ct for being chosen to supply the WH Xmas tree this year......though, I don't really approve of killing trees for that purpose!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Ottie asked me to share his Halloween Sunrise.

He liked his presents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++