WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default New Custom ULA Catalyst (cuben fiber black)

I just received my new custom ULA Catalyst backpack in black cuben fiber today. I am absolutely thrilled with how the pack came out. The pack is well constructed, and fits me nicely. I also love the fact that it was made in the USA.

I am not a ultralight extremist by no means, but I can see the benefits of better and lighter gear. Hopefully, I am not disappointed in how the pack performs. My next step is taping the seems with cuben tape, and see how all my gear packs out. I still have a few gear replacements and additions I need to make, but I think that is a never ending do loop for most hikers.

I am a new ENO hammock user, so I am just beginning to learn the various seasonal issues associated with hammock camping. Any tips on gear or packing would be appreciated. I would also be glad to answer any questions or feedback on new pack. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ramblin around your city, rambling around your town...

sweet pack....
    do you know the weight?

hammock camping in the cold can be sweet if you have the right insulation. I would recommend going with an underquilt but many do cold weather with pads.

Images

Thanks Slowfeet! I am a fairly big guy (6'; 255lbs), so this pack is sized for me (Torso-L, Hipbelt-XL). Out of the box it weighs 45.86* oz. A standard Catalyst with (Torso-M, Hipbelt-M) weighs 48* oz.

* includes all removable items, so pack would be even less without the removable items.

• Hydration Sleeve (~1.4 oz)
    • Internal Mesh Pocket (~1.1 oz)
    • Water Bottle Holsters (~0.8 oz)
    • Handloops (~0.8 oz)

I took my boys cold weather camping last weekend to GSMNP and it got down to 27°F. The boys used a truck sun screen as a cold break under their 15° mummy bags and they were fine, although it moved on them some in the night. I used a cheap silver emergency blanket, and the new ENO ignitor top quilt and I was toasty. My only complaint about the top quilt was the length could be a few more inches longer. Next purchase is ENO's blaster under quilt.

I am so jealous! I dyed mine black and it came out great tho I would have rather had black to begin with
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Images

Hey Blonde Ambition. I never go a day without gear envy, so understand. What did you use to die your pack? Braver than me.

I used the Rite dye, came out great. I used the bathtub and used the bleach to clean the tub afterwards, can't even tell black dye was in the tub. Well other than the tub is really clean haha.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=66099
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Thats a sweet pack but only a 4ox difference.I would think it was more..Love to hear how it handles...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

The Catalyst is an amazing pack. A guy from Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus sold me one years ago and I love it. If I did change packs, it'd be a smaller, lighter one from the ULA line. It seems the more I hike and upgrade my gear, the less room I need. Go figure..

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Thanks Slowfeet! I am a fairly big guy (6'; 255lbs), so this pack is sized for me (Torso-L, Hipbelt-XL). Out of the box it weighs 45.86* oz. A standard Catalyst with (Torso-M, Hipbelt-M) weighs 48* oz.

* includes all removable items, so pack would be even less without the removable items.

• Hydration Sleeve (~1.4 oz)
    • Internal Mesh Pocket (~1.1 oz)
    • Water Bottle Holsters (~0.8 oz)
    • Handloops (~0.8 oz)

I took my boys cold weather camping last weekend to GSMNP and it got down to 27°F. The boys used a truck sun screen as a cold break under their 15° mummy bags and they were fine, although it moved on them some in the night. I used a cheap silver emergency blanket, and the new ENO ignitor top quilt and I was toasty. My only complaint about the top quilt was the length could be a few more inches longer. Next purchase is ENO's blaster under quilt.

Help me understand ... this is about a 2oz weight savings, which isn't much. What would be the other advantages of having a cuben pack over a regular pack?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    Help me understand ... this is about a 2oz weight savings, which isn't much. What would be the other advantages of having a cuben pack over a regular pack?
    My guess: it'd be (more) waterproof without a pack cover. I thought there would be more weight savings as well when I read the thread title.

According to the ULA website, cuben is a $100 option and saves 3-4 ounces: http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/cuben-pack.htm
    I know that some people pay more than $25/ounce to lighten up so maybe the pricing makes sense. I'm not sure it would for me. My Circuit is a great pack but if I wanted to really lighten up, I'd be inclined to try the zpacks ArcBlast which is a pound lighter than the Circuit rather than paying $325 for a cuben circuit to save just a few ounces.

Images

I probably need to find a better scale, I had to guesstimate and convert to oz.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    My guess: it'd be (more) waterproof without a pack cover. I thought there would be more weight savings as well when I read the thread title.
    Yes, it is essentially a waterproof pack, especially after I tape the seams with cuben tape.

Images

It's more than a 2 oz. savings, I probaly need a better scale. Also, my pack is larger than standard medium pack, which means it would weigh more than 48 oz. in its original material.

Besides, I am not advocating that anyone go drop $300+ on a cuben pack, it is just something I wanted.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    Thats a sweet pack but only a 4ox difference.I would think it was more..Love to hear how it handles...
    Thanks Hobbs. I will get a better scale and make sure I am correct on weight. I am sure my pack based on size would have been more than 48 oz in its original material. The 48 oz pack weight according to ULA is based on a medium torso and belt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GeoRed View Post
    The Catalyst is an amazing pack. A guy from Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus sold me one years ago and I love it. If I did change packs, it'd be a smaller, lighter one from the ULA line. It seems the more I hike and upgrade my gear, the less room I need. Go figure..
    Agree. I seem to be needing less and less each outing, especially as the gear gets better.

Ramblin around your city, rambling around your town...

"Next purchase is ENO's blaster under quilt."

check out hammockforums for other possible UQ options.
    you might be able to find something cheaper, warmer, and lighter.

Personally for most UL gear I tend to stay away from commercial companies cor several reasons. The main is that their concept and the standards that are placed by UL backpackers seem to have a significant difference. Check out cottage shops if your really looking to get your weight down. I've been an advid hammock camler for years and can give you some advice to cut some significant weight while not sacrificing on quality or comfort. If you wanna drop a few ounces off of your existing set up change your suspension out for dutch wear whoopie hooks. Also I'd recommend checking out hammock gear. Adam is a great guy to work with. I have 2 TQs and 2 UQs that I bought from them along with a cuban fly. If you need help with teying to figure out what will work best for you give Adam a call and he will take the time to tell you. For my UQ I personally use a Phoniex 0 for winter and a Phoniex 40 for 2 season. I also you a TQ burrow 0 for winter and a 30 for 3 season. You can also pay a few extra bucks to get additional ounces of down to dial down your UQ and TQ ratings. If your looking to go lighter on your hammock check out Papasmurf aka Randy from dream hammocks. I love my Darien UL @ 13.2oz on mybscales with full suspension. Also since the Phoniex isn't a full UQ Gossamer Gear sells a night lite torso pad that I use for my pack that pulls double duty for my legs and feet in my hammock. Think module for hamocking and its a good way to manage your weight based on the seasons your backpacking in and conditions you'll be in.

That is one sweet piece of gear! I look forward to picking up a catalyst in the near future, not cuben though.
    I recommend heading over to hammoc forums and checking out the manufactures section, you can find some awesome under and top quilts made in the USA on par with the level of quality of that pack

The hybrid cuben will be a little less weight as is, but it really shines when it rains. Ever had a nylon pack or tarp out in a rain storm? They will pick up quite a bit of weight from absorbing rain water. This pack will not have that problem.

Ryan

++ New Posts ++