WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fontana to Smokemont

Hello BMT fans!

My son, best friend and I continue our journey November 22-27. We are going to section hike from Fontana Dam to Smokemont. The last time were were in this area was last April when we did Davenport down to Smokemont. Mighty nice, even snowy on the north end.

Just wondering if anyone has been on this section lately and if there are any trail updates that would be helpful. Thanks.

Peace,

PapaG

El Sordo
    Images

just keep in mind that campsite #78 is accesible by boat only.
    Dyslexics Untie!

I was on several of these sections in July. Trail was in pretty good shape then. But, we have had a LOT of rain this summer, so there may be sections that are overgrown.

Not sure if you plan to pick up the BMT from Sassafras Gap (near Shuckstack), or at campsite #90. My recommendation would be to hike up the AT to Shuckstack, then down Lost Cove. That trail is one of the steepest in the park, and you wont want to start your next section hike by hiking UP Lost Cove.

Have a great hike. I will be in the general area that same week (24-29), but will only be crossing the BMT, not actually hiking on the BMT.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

just keep in mind that campsite #78 is accesible by boat only.

as well as CS 72.........

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    I was on several of these sections in July. Trail was in pretty good shape then. But, we have had a LOT of rain this summer, so there may be sections that are overgrown.

Not sure if you plan to pick up the BMT from Sassafras Gap (near Shuckstack), or at campsite #90. My recommendation would be to hike up the AT to Shuckstack, then down Lost Cove. That trail is one of the steepest in the park, and you wont want to start your next section hike by hiking UP Lost Cove.

Have a great hike. I will be in the general area that same week (24-29), but will only be crossing the BMT, not actually hiking on the BMT.
    Thanks for the advice. I will check the map. It seems like I would hike the AT out of Fontana Dam and watch for where the BMT crosses and jump on it there.

El Sordo
    Images

when I hiked that section I got on the Lakeshore Trail immediately after crossing the dam and did not hike the AT except for the walk across the dam.
    Dyslexics Untie!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    when I hiked that section I got on the Lakeshore Trail immediately after crossing the dam and did not hike the AT except for the walk across the dam.
    I believe Ox is assuming the OP is attempting to eventually section-hike the entire BMT (or at least the BMT that exists in GSMNP). By starting at Fontana, if the Op does NOT hike up the AT and down Lost Cove Trail, and if he next section hikes the BMT heading south, he will need to hike Lake Shore to campsite #90, and then pickup the BMT heading UP Lost Cove Trail.

But my advice to the OP, if he's wanting to completing the BMT in GSMNP, and has not completed the section between Twenty Mile Ranger Station and the AT, then DON'T start at Fontana. By starting at Fontana, you have to waste the 1st 5.2 miles of your hike on the up-n-down hills of the 1st segment of Lakeshore Trail just to reach the BMT at campsite #90. But if you start at Twenty Mile Ranger Station, you start your hike with the 1st 5 miles of the BMT between Twenty Mile and campsite #90.

Alternately, if the OP has (or plans to) hike the BMT from the south to Twenty Mile Ranger Station up to the AT (then taking the AT to Fontana), Then Ox's suggestion of starting by going up the AT makes a lot of sense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I believe Ox is assuming the OP is attempting to eventually section-hike the entire BMT (or at least the BMT that exists in GSMNP). By starting at Fontana, if the Op does NOT hike up the AT and down Lost Cove Trail, and if he next section hikes the BMT heading south, he will need to hike Lake Shore to campsite #90, and then pickup the BMT heading UP Lost Cove Trail.

But my advice to the OP, if he's wanting to completing the BMT in GSMNP, and has not completed the section between Twenty Mile Ranger Station and the AT, then DON'T start at Fontana. By starting at Fontana, you have to waste the 1st 5.2 miles of your hike on the up-n-down hills of the 1st segment of Lakeshore Trail just to reach the BMT at campsite #90. But if you start at Twenty Mile Ranger Station, you start your hike with the 1st 5 miles of the BMT between Twenty Mile and campsite #90.

Alternately, if the OP has (or plans to) hike the BMT from the south to Twenty Mile Ranger Station up to the AT (then taking the AT to Fontana), Then Ox's suggestion of starting by going up the AT makes a lot of sense as well.
    And the OP says...

Thanks for the suggestions. Up until now we have hiked sections of the AT from Amicalola to Fontana. In April last year we decided to do the BMT through the park because we don't like to sleep in shelters. Our first BMT trip took us from Big Creek Creek Campground down to Smokemont Campground at Route 441. Now we are picking it up from Fontana (where we originally left the AT last November after having walked there from the NOC). I think that by starting at Fontana it probably makes sense to use the Lakeshore Trail.

-PapaG

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGarrettP View Post
    I think that by starting at Fontana it probably makes sense to use the Lakeshore Trail.

-PapaG
    earlier this year I hiked from Hiawassee to Fontana on the AT, then took the BMT thru the Smokies. The lakeshore trail is the way to go from Fontana. between lake views, especially at this time of the year when I would imagine all the leaves are gone and walking by the old vehicles, homesteads, etc. you will really enjoy this hike. I saw maybe 4 other hikers (several horseback campers too) on the BMT and at this time of year, you may have the place to yourself. I am a bit envious.

I was just there this weekend. We had about an inch of snow on top of leconte down to about 4500ft.

Great info! Thanks for posting. I can't wait to be back on the BMT!

<quote> I believe Ox is assuming the OP is attempting to eventually section-hike the entire BMT (or at least the BMT that exists in GSMNP). <quote>

Yes, I am assuming that at some point OP would continue the hike between 20 mile Ranger Station and Fontana. And not knowing which direction this hike was headed (East vs. West), I thought that knowing what the UPhill Lost Cove was like might help in planning this hike and the next one.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Thank, everyone. I have already hiked the northern pat of the Smokies section of the BMT and look forward to one day completing the entire trail. Last Mark I think we saw one other hiker. That makes for a much better wilderness experience for my group!

Hey Papa G. I'm starting the BMT in the spring and would love to hear about your trip. Care to give us a report?

++ New Posts ++