WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Gear Weight

Default Gear Weight

I AM PLANNING ON SECTION HIKING THE AT NEXT YEAR. I HAVE BEEN CHECKING ON MY GEAR AND BUYING AS I GO . MY BASE WEIGHT IS 11 POUNDS . WITH THE REST OF MY STUFF I AM LOOKING AT 23TO25 POUNDS . IS THIS GOOD.

You cant expect much more without dropping the big bucks and even then youll stop at around 8 pounds. Also, if you are hiking with a friend you will be able to share gear/food and maybe save a little weight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by out-n-about
    I AM PLANNING ON SECTION HIKING THE AT NEXT YEAR. I HAVE BEEN CHECKING ON MY GEAR AND BUYING AS I GO . MY BASE WEIGHT IS 11 POUNDS . WITH THE REST OF MY STUFF I AM LOOKING AT 23TO25 POUNDS . IS THIS GOOD.
    i average arond 22 lbs with food and fuel and water in summer 2 liters water is 4 lbs neo

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You should be fine at this weight, out-n-about, assuming that you weigh more than 90 pounds soaking wet. I'm a little concerned that you may have cut out too much weight given your experience (which I'm implying based on your question). See if you can get out on a short 2-3 day hike where you can easily get out of the woods so you can test out all of your equipment. Shoot for a total pack weight that's around 15% of your reasonably fit body weight. Carrying less weight is possible, but you want to make sure you have the right mix of equipment for the AT and your experience level. Carrying more weight is certainly possible also (up to 25%), but you won't enjoy the walking as much and you won't be able to cover as much ground over time.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++