WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Steal your brother's Notch for a weekend. If you like it, keep it. If not, let us know more about what want from yor shelter.

Good Luck
    Good idea here, another thought--how sure are you that you can "go back" to sleeping in a tent?? Hamocks tend to spoil one.

I have the Skyscape-X. 16.5 ounces for the whole set-up (tent and stakes). You're hard pressed to find a fully enclosed one piece system that has double walled characteristics. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? To me it is.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelosborne View Post
    +1 on the Solo Plus, I just got mine yesterday and it's a palace for me at 5'7. Very quick and easy to set up and mine comes in at 19 oz with tent, extended beak, all guy lines, and ten stakes
    Apparently zPacks is coming out with something called the Hexamid Solplex based on this comparison chart:

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/tent_comparison.shtml

I don't see anything on their website about it other than this chart which I found a link to on the Sticks Blog facebook page.

Might be worth taking a look at that although I can't imagine that I would switch from my Hexamid Twin which really is a "palace for one" and only weighs 4 ounces more than the Solo.

I'm happy with my TarpTent Notch. I'm 6'2" and used to bigger (and heavier) tents. I wondered if I'd really fit in the Notch, and yes I do, glad I bought it. Setup is as easy as in Henry S's video.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    +1 love mine .
    See one more thing we agree on.

Shonryu,

If you have not played with a Lightheart tent in person, you should before making your decision. There are lighter tents, but for a combination of space, ease of set up, ventilation and weather protection, not much comes close.

If you ever get to northern VA you can check out mine.

www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

I have a six moon design tent and I love it

I have not had a chance to see either in person, but from their web sites the SMD Trekker and the Lightheart Solo seem similar in wight, price, and design. Anyone have experience with both able to comment on what might distinguish on from another?

Images

Been using the tarptent Contrail for several years, very nice. I'm 6'3" and use poles. Pretty good amount of space inside for you and your gear. I've shared it with a squirmy 3yr old as well. No probs with wind Max Patch (~30mph) and it's had snow dumped on it a few times too.

pic 062 snowy tarptent.jpgpic 182 1 Nov tent dan tarptent on Max Patch.jpg
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    See one more thing we agree on.

Shonryu,

If you have not played with a Lightheart tent in person, you should before making your decision. There are lighter tents, but for a combination of space, ease of set up, ventilation and weather protection, not much comes close.

If you ever get to northern VA you can check out mine.
    Just wanted to make sure someone had mentioned the Lightheart. To me it has the best characteristics of a double wall tent (condensation stays out where it out to be) and a single wall tent (the fly is always there and correctly oriented)

Journal Entries
    Images

+1 Notch. I'm pleased with mine. But I will add - while hiking up to Ice Lake in the Wallowas (Eastern Oregon) a severe thunderstorm rolled in. Being in an area with little tree/canopy coverage, I began staring at my metal tipped hiking poles on either side of my body, suspending my tent in the air and a panic attack.

While the outside tent profile does have slope, sitting between 2 metal tipped sticks pointing straight up in the air still scared the CRAP out of me. Something to think of....if I bought another tent, it would be the 2 person Rainbow for exactly this concern; especially if I was a hiker of the West.

Along the AT, there is usually AMPLE canopy coverage... Guess it goes along with experience. Eventually I will learn WHERE and how to pitch a tent - maybe I'll learn how to set up a tarp!
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

"sitting between 2 metal tipped sticks pointing straight up in the air still scared the CRAP out of me."
    You can set it up with the handles up, still I don't get at all how the pole tips sitting inside those grommets would scare you (?)
    Breakfast-in-the-rain_zps828dd91f.jpg

that is a flattering picture lol

that is a flattering picture
    In my case it is, I only look better when I have my balaclava on.

I think that my wife solved the "scared" mystery.
    Lightning,
    Funny that I have had many electrical storms inside similar set ups never thought of it.
    In fact I don't remember ever having seen comments on anyone having been zapped from tent or trekking poles.

Take a look at the Marmot EOS 1 person, i used it on my 2012 thru and it work out great.

I just saw a cool video for one from Z-paks. You should check that out. It looks in function very similar to my MSR Hubba. I love my Hubba. It sets up fast. I believe it is fairly light.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I'm a hammock guy too. I converted about 3 years ago and haven't slept in a tent since. I'm planning a thru for 2014 and I'm about 90% sure I'm switch back over to a tent for a thru hike. I picked up a TT Notch. I can setup a hammock shelter(tarp, UQ, hammock) really fast, but the Tarptent seems to be much simpler. It also weights less and I won't have to carry around a pack of guy lines. Another reason is that if I tent it, I'll have my mat with me in case I wanted to stay in a shelter or someones floor. The tent just seems more versatile in this case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++