WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Super Mica, How's The Fit?

I'm planing on ordering a Marmot Super Mica Rain Jacket but I'm not sure about the size. None of the outfitters near me stock the jacket so I'm unable to try one on.
    I'm almost 6' 1", 195lbs. Sometimes I wear a large sometimes an XL. The most I'd wear under the jacket would be my lightweight fleece jacket.
    So, my question is to all the super mica owners out there. Do the jackets run snug?
    I know I can always send the jacket back but I'm trying to get it right the first time. I'm leaning toward an XL. I'll have to find one on sale cuz they're a little $$$$$ too.

I'm 5'10" 185 and a large fits me. With room for a fleece or a couple layers underneath. If you want I can post a pic of me wearing it. Not sure if that helps you or not.

Based on what you said prolly XL. Somewhat of an athletic fit. I for one don't want an overly tight fitting rain/wind jacket. Long limbed or a growing spare tire around the waist even more of a reason to go w/ XL.

Images

I am 6'2, 220. I normally wear a XL in most everything. My Super Mica is an XL and fits perfect. Sleeves are long enough, there is enough room to layer my MB Alpine light parka. I could not layer a puffy if I had a large, but I could probably layer a 100/200 fleece. But with a large the sleeves and back would be too short.

Mine is several years old, and I don't know if they changed their sizing since I bought mine. Seems like everyone else has gone to a more athletic fit in the last couple of years.

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to get an XL. Right now Backcountry.com has the Super Mica for 30 percent off (that's $50.00 off) so I ordered one. Free 2 day shipping too. The one I ordered is one of the newer ones, you can tell by the color (cinder). I'll let you how it fits in a few days. Big Marmot sale at backcountry now.

Images

I don't think you will regret it. It breathes much better than the precip I had, and weighs significantly less. Although it is very light, it is still a full featured rain shell. I like mine a lot.

I am 5'10" 200 and have an XXL. I find it perfect for the field where I want it big enough to fit over my puffy winter stuff. If this were for city use I would prefer the XL.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I am 5'10" 200 and have an XXL. I find it perfect for the field where I want it big enough to fit over my puffy winter stuff. If this were for city use I would prefer the XL.
    Chin, did you use yours much on your thru? How did the DWR hold up over the long term? Mine has held up just fine, but I not a thru hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Chin, did you use yours much on your thru? How did the DWR hold up over the long term? Mine has held up just fine, but I not a thru hiker.
    I only got my Super Mica in the Whites when my other, old Montbell, jacket wasn't cutting it anymore. So I cannot comment on its durability. I experimented with different raingear (Packa vs traditional jacket) on my trip. The Super Mica did well for the 6 weeks I used it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

How did the DWR hold up over the long term?
    Technically, the super mica is not a DWR (treated) fabric it's a laminated jacket. Made with 2 fabrics pressed together. MemBrainŽStrata™ & 100% Nylon Ripstop 2.2 oz/yd.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Technically, the super mica is not a DWR (treated) fabric it's a laminated jacket. Made with 2 fabrics pressed together. MemBrainŽStrata™ & 100% Nylon Ripstop 2.2 oz/yd.
    Before I bought the Super Mica I called Marmot several times to talk about the Membrain coating and the fabric they use to compare it to my Precip and other W/B fabrics.

They told me it does have a DWR coating and that it is supposed to be better than the Precip. The DWR keeps the outer fabric from wetting out, which keeps the fabric breathable. If the outer fabric wets out, the fabric is still water proof, but the surface tension of the water on the surface of the membrane keeps the fabric from breathing.

I was concerned because there were many reports online of the fabric wetting out. Both Marmot and Backcountry.com told me if it does wet out, "wash it with powered detergent, dry it in a hot dryer and it will restore the DWR coating" and "If it still wets out, just give them a call and they will make it right."

So far, a couple of years later it is still working fine. I have washed it twice I think, not because of a wetting out problem, just because it was getting a little ripe

Before I bought the Super Mica I called Marmot several times to talk about the Membrain coating and the fabric they use to compare it to my Precip and other W/B fabrics.

They told me it does have a DWR coating and that it is supposed to be better than the Precip. The DWR keeps the outer fabric from wetting out, which keeps the fabric breathable. If the outer fabric wets out, the fabric is still water proof, but the surface tension of the water on the surface of the membrane keeps the fabric from breathing.

I was concerned because there were many reports online of the fabric wetting out. Both Marmot and Backcountry.com told me if it does wet out, "wash it with powered detergent, dry it in a hot dryer and it will restore the DWR coating" and "If it still wets out, just give them a call and they will make it right."

So far, a couple of years later it is still working fine. I have washed it twice I think, not because of a wetting out problem, just because it was getting a little ripe
    I stand corrected. I should have realized the nylon ripstop fabric has a DWR (durable water repellant) treatment to keep from wetting out.

They told me it(Super Mica) does have a DWR coating and that it is supposed to be better than the Precip. Glad u mentioned the DWR too and I'll totally agree with the comparison to the PreCip. I've used both.

Chairman, BackCountry is good about being fair with returns too. NEVER had an issue with a return at BackCountry.

Overall, U might consider it like this Chairman. Get an XL and if it's a bit too big U still have a usable jacket. Too small with a Large size and you really backed yourself into a corner of greater potential for unusability.

I got my Super Mica today. The XL is a perfect fit for me. Once I saw the Super Mica was an "athletic fit" (which is code for it's going to fit snug) I knew I had to go with the larger size. Thanks for the help.

++ New Posts ++