WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

[QUOTE=aficion;1813581]
    Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    If there was some connection between these lands and the actual person that would make sense.

The connection is; these are American public lands and we are discussing allowing them to be used to memorialize those who gave their lives in American Services. Our country, and the liberty we enjoy, are a direct result of the efforts of folks willing to give their all to establish and protect it. If you find it difficult to get the connection, reality must be challenging for you. Enjoy the stars. The woods do not exist for the exclusive use of entitled backpackers.
    A beautiful spot in the mountains where we stop and enjoy the view and feel blessed to live in a country that has decided to preserve the place for future generations, is exactly where we need a small flag with the name of a fallen hero.

The connection is obvious to me. We enjoy the blessings of this nation because of the people those small flags represent, and without their sacrifice we would not have the view to enjoy.

I would much rather see a temporary flag than the long term damage of a fire ring or a name carved into a tree.
    Pretty much sums it up for me.

hey I'm all about spreadin ashes and walking off the war, but unless the person being memorialized had a love of the trail/woods/hiking I really don't see the connection. If you do set out these effigies, pick em up before they turn into macab weather worn unidentifiable trash deposits. Other than that, go for it.

I just don't get it. As already stated unless there is some intimate connection to that place why put it in a wilderness area. There are many more appropriate places that allow the family and the public to remember the person and reflect upon their sacrifice than the middle of the forest. The argument that because it has been done before or that because there is trash, graffitti, shelters, etc there allows anything to be put there just doesn't make sense. The effort should be in preserving these areas rather than adding more things that don't belong there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the ATC should take note also then and stop allowing more and more shelters and privies to be built
    Good Point. The White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire many years ago removed some shelters in Federally designated Wilderness Areas. The ones I know about weren't on the AT. Not sure about the AT in Wilderness Areas

I haven't seen one in a few years now, but in Georgia for a while every year or so I'd come across a memorial (and sometimes a burial site also) to a dog that had hiked on the GA AT with the owner. They generally would last only part of a season, when (presumably) the trail maintainers would pack them out. Usually they were placed on a blue blaze; I'm guessing hoping they would last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I haven't seen one in a few years now, but in Georgia for a while every year or so I'd come across a memorial (and sometimes a burial site also) to a dog that had hiked on the GA AT with the owner. They generally would last only part of a season, when (presumably) the trail maintainers would pack them out. Usually they were placed on a blue blaze; I'm guessing hoping they would last longer.
    A few years ago I climbed the Albert Mt. firetower and saw a poem taped to the underside of the platform. A hiker had left it in memorial to his dog. It was actually quite touching and I wish I had copied it down.

I know some see a weathered memorial and think: "They just don't care...". However, when I see a weathered memorial out away from a city/town it causes me to think more; it makes me feel more reflective and introspective and to some extent nostalgic.

Although, pigeon-sh1t-covered statues never has that effect on me

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Here's a thought. Instead of leaving ribbons along the trail to weather, fade and eventually be removed as trash I would like to suggest printing a memorial page for each of our lost soldiers with information, memorial poems, pictures, etc and pasting it inside a shelter log. More information could be placed on a full page than a single ribbon, it would become a permeant part of the trail record, and many more people would get to see it.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Sevsa View Post
    I just don't get it. As already stated unless there is some intimate connection to that place why put it in a wilderness area. There are many more appropriate places that allow the family and the public to remember the person and reflect upon their sacrifice than the middle of the forest. The argument that because it has been done before or that because there is trash, graffitti, shelters, etc there allows anything to be put there just doesn't make sense. The effort should be in preserving these areas rather than adding more things that don't belong there.
    You obviously don't. These places would not exist, as public lands in a free society without the sacrifices of those who established, maintained, and protected American liberty. What better place to show our respect and gratitude? I submit that those being remembered, and those making the effort to honor them, have earned the right to go out there and do so. The beneficiaries of their largesse, who don't get it, are the only losers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Here's a thought. Instead of leaving ribbons along the trail to weather, fade and eventually be removed as trash I would like to suggest printing a memorial page for each of our lost soldiers with information, memorial poems, pictures, etc and pasting it inside a shelter log. More information could be placed on a full page than a single ribbon, it would become a permeant part of the trail record, and many more people would get to see it.
    the shelter logs are replaced every year.

Images

aficoin,

Maybe if a sign read "This view brought to you by people that paid more than taxes"? Maybe that would get the idea across.

The point I was trying to make and I think aficoin is trying to make is that the flags and ribbons are not there for the service members or their families, they are being placed there so others don't forget the cost of freedom. What better place to do that than the places where we feel the most free?

The flags will be picked up and packed out eventually, so no long term damage to the wilderness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sevsa View Post

Well, it makes sense to me. Normally seeing things in black and white is viewed as a cognitive distortion. But, in this particular case, I feel this thinking is acceptable. So yes, I see this as an all or nothing deal.

I don't have a problem with it because....

1) It's not permanent like the other "traces". 2) It has real meaning and purpose.

These hero's should not be limited to where or when they should be honored. I have no problem with this place being a great place to be remembered. Who am I to say, nay?

I just read Don H post... that is an excellent idea!

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    aficoin,

Maybe if a sign read "This view brought to you by people that paid more than taxes"? Maybe that would get the idea across.

The point I was trying to make and I think aficoin is trying to make is that the flags and ribbons are not there for the service members or their families, they are being placed there so others don't forget the cost of freedom. What better place to do that than the places where we feel the most free?

The flags will be picked up and packed out eventually, so no long term damage to the wilderness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    You hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    [/B]

I don't have a problem with it because....

1) It's not permanent like the other "traces". !

Trash isn't permanent, either. Neither are fire rings.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment, but this logic doesn't really make sense in terms of LNT.

It just seems like kind of a weird idea to place these little flags with handwritten tags in the middle of the wilderness, where people may or may not stumble upon them. But maybe it gives the woman who is heading up the effort some sort of peace?
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    You obviously don't. These places would not exist, as public lands in a free society without the sacrifices of those who established, maintained, and protected American liberty. What better place to show our respect and gratitude? I submit that those being remembered, and those making the effort to honor them, have earned the right to go out there and do so. The beneficiaries of their largesse, who don't get it, are the only losers.

I think you've probably put more thought into this than the woman who is organizing the whole project. It would make more sense to me to put each flag along a trail in or near the fallen soldier's hometown, but it's not like I was asked to vote on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Trash isn't permanent, either. Neither are fire rings.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment, but this logic doesn't really make sense in terms of LNT.

It just seems like kind of a weird idea to place these little flags with handwritten tags in the middle of the wilderness, where people may or may not stumble upon them. But maybe it gives the woman who is heading up the effort some sort of peace?
    It gives me some sort of admiration for taking up the task of reminding our entitled generations where their liberty springs from.

It gives me some sort of admiration for taking up the task of reminding our entitled generations where their liberty springs from.
    Somehow, I doubt the entitled ones will even give them a passing glance or thought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Somehow, I doubt the entitled ones will even give them a passing glance or thought.
    I think that those of the entitled class would be offended that they are being reminded that they owe anyone anything.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I think that those of the entitled class would be offended that they are being reminded that they owe anyone anything.
    Spot on .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tuckahoe64 View Post
    i think that those of the entitled class would be offended that they are being reminded that they owe anyone anything.
    b i n g o !!!
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++