WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

I don't think anyone on here is arguing that this is the best way to accomplish her goals, but we didn't get a vote on her plans. All I am saying and I think others agree, is that although we might have gone about this in another way, what she is doing has purpose, and we don't have any significant objections to the way she is going about it. Nothing she is doing is causing irreversible damage to areas she is leaving the flags.

My view is "Ok, not the best idea, but if it gets even one person to think about the people in this country that have given everything to preserve our liberty and security, then I am not going to nit pick about the way she is doing it.". I'll just give her a simple "Thank You", and move on.

I walked along a wooded path
    whereby I stumbled upon a tattered flag
    The inscription read: PFC Fallen Hero
    I saluted and remembered..

Journal Entries

doesnt bother me really
    but no, they dont belong there, no one will see them
    what if everyone left something in the woods

it would seem on public lands that they might need to request some sort of permit for something like that, and it would probably be denied.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    WE send these men and women into harm's way ....
    Who is this "WE" you speak for?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Who is this "WE" you speak for?

Rain Man

My take on his use of 'We" is "Our Nation".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The same we as in "We the people", I expect; we who vote anyway.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    My take on his use of 'We" is "Our Nation".

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    The same we as in "We the people", I expect; we who vote anyway.
    Some folks get it.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Rainman always like to ask indirect troll type questions like that lol even though he gets it he likes to take it offensively.

I dont like the idea of people placing flags or ribbons for what they think is important... because of course everyone can agree that people have the right to the have "importanties" so now we let fallen soldiers have a ribbon, why on the AT I do not know. But next I think we should breast cancer awareness pink ribbons on the trail. Oh and gay rights people? they should prolly tie a little rainbow ribbon on a limb or two... Now Peta...oh boy they need lots of ribbons but what about the pow's? Now we are running out of limbs and shelters and staffs
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    ...But next I think we should breast cancer awareness pink ribbons on the trail. Oh and gay rights people? they should prolly tie a little rainbow ribbon on a limb or two... Now Peta...oh boy they need lots of ribbons but what about the pow's? Now we are running out of limbs and shelters and staffs
    I have seen everyone of those things while hiking, especially the breast cancer awareness stuff.

Did I think it was a good idea? No, did it bother me? well I did get tired of seeing pink ribbons after awhile, but no it didn't bother me.

As for Rain Man, I have never met him, but from reading his posts he seems like an OK guy to me.

He has strong beliefs and stands up for them. Nothing wrong with that.

Images

Rainman is more than just an ok guy. Three years ago my dad was back in Nashville visiting family when he was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident. I was out there two and a half months looking after dad and in that time I had a stranger --Rainman -- give me his phone number and an open offer to go somewhere if I needed a break. I also got a few emails checking up on me.

I never got to meet him but I have always been grateful of his offer and kindness.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I have no problem with memorials as long as they don't destroy anything, don't litter on anything, and aren't religious in nature. Religious displays have no business being on public lands.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    I have no problem with memorials as long as they don't destroy anything, don't litter on anything, and aren't religious in nature. Religious displays have no business being on public lands.
    That's what Nero days are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    As I understand it we live in a land that embraces freedom of religion, not freedom from it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    As I understand it we live in a land that embraces freedom of religion, not freedom from it.
    Yea that whole "free exercise thereof" thing. confuses a lot of people

Images

Yea that whole "free exercise thereof" thing. confuses a lot of people
    although it acknowledges freedom of religion, it also dictates separation of church and state.so now you need to think about how to memorialize christian soldiers in wilderness areas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    although it acknowledges freedom of religion, it also dictates separation of church and state.so now you need to think about how to memorialize christian soldiers in wilderness areas.
    It does not dictate "separation of church and state", it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

But even if it did dictate a separation of church and state, that effects what the government can do, not what a private citizen can do.

The generalization of the first amendment by using the phase "separation of church and state", does not overrule the actual text of the first amendment.

Once we start redefining one part of the first amendment to favor government restrictions on protected behavior, the other parts will quickly follow.

Be careful what you ask for.

Images

It does not dictate "separation of church and state", it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

But even if it did dictate a separation of church and state, that effects what the government can do, not what a private citizen can do.

The generalization of the first amendment by using the phase "separation of church and state", does not overrule the actual text of the first amendment.

Once we start redefining one part of the first amendment to favor government restrictions on protected behavior, the other parts will quickly follow.

Be careful what you ask for.
    id rather keep both church and state out of the woods.including memorials in designated wilderness areas.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    WE send these men and women into harm's way to a life of sheer terror, privation and filth, make their families orphans and widows; whine about closed national parks without a peep for the soldier who may not be paid because of politcal games... and we are now going to whine and debate about temporary memorials to those that have died for us?
    Do not confuse a difference of opinion - on whether this is the most appropriate way (or, indeed, an appropriate way at all) to honour the memory of our dead, with a difference of principle - on whether our dead deserve the honours. (Or read my original post again: how I feel on this subject is best summarized by: "It's complicated.")

I happen to believe that it would be far better to put the memorials in the public square, where far more will pass and remember, and where gratitude will not be mixed with puzzlement at, "why here?"
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    id rather keep both church and state out of the woods.including memorials in designated wilderness areas.
    Fair enough. I respect that.

Images

Fair enough. I respect that.

mutual respect is a wonderful thing. we can agree to disagree with civility.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++