WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Are you OK with memorials being placed in the Three Ridges Wilderness?

There's a group of people- "Hiking for Virginia Fallen Heroes" ,that has a page on Facebook which states that their intent is to do 203" tribute hikes" to honor 203 servicemen from Virginia who made the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq and Afghanistan. Part of the tribute hike is to leave behind flags with ribbons tied to the staff with information about the fallen hero. There are several flags in the Three Ridges Wilderness. I'm having trouble getting comfortable with this effort in this place on Leave no trace grounds. This land was set aside by the government to remain wild forever. To me it seems like the right action but in the wrong place, inserting an agenda inconsistent with the intended purpose of the place. How do you feel about it? I understand this topic could be "loaded" and ask posters to be civil and thoughtful. I'm not trolling.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scudder View Post
    There's a group of people- "Hiking for Virginia Fallen Heroes" ,that has a page on Facebook which states that their intent is to do 203" tribute hikes" to honor 203 servicemen from Virginia who made the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq and Afghanistan. Part of the tribute hike is to leave behind flags with ribbons tied to the staff with information about the fallen hero. There are several flags in the Three Ridges Wilderness. I'm having trouble getting comfortable with this effort in this place on Leave no trace grounds. This land was set aside by the government to remain wild forever. To me it seems like the right action but in the wrong place, inserting an agenda inconsistent with the intended purpose of the place. How do you feel about it? I understand this topic could be "loaded" and ask posters to be civil and thoughtful. I'm not trolling.
    i agree with it being the right action in the wrong place. and i dont see the significance of these fallen heroes being honored in the woods.

I agree. Nice idea, poorly thought out execution.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

If they are not permanent, I'm fine with it.

What is the difference between me seeing a flag and ribbon or seeing another hiker, or even the trail I am walking on, all three are not part of the wilderness. You said we are talking about a hand full of flags, I pick up more power bar wrappers than that on any hike I have done in VA.

I say just respect their intent and don't sweat the small stuff, and if you are really worried about it maybe a respectful message to them on facebook to see if they have a plan to recover the flags after a reasonable period of time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Awkward at best... but people will do what they want. - I hike around my local park and remove 3-5 pounds of trashed caution tape hanging from the trees each year.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    If they are not permanent, I'm fine with it.

What is the difference between me seeing a flag and ribbon or seeing another hiker, or even the trail I am walking on, all three are not part of the wilderness. You said we are talking about a hand full of flags, I pick up more power bar wrappers than that on any hike I have done in VA.

I say just respect their intent and don't sweat the small stuff, and if you are really worried about it maybe a respectful message to them on facebook to see if they have a plan to recover the flags after a reasonable period of time.
    +1 its just not something I can get upset about.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

I agree with the thought having had a nephew killed by a IED in the Iraq war in 2007. I applaud this groups effort but agree that the placement of memorial flags on national forest land is not consistent with proper trail etiquette.

Having bridges in the fallen soldiers hometown renamed in their memory is one way the state recognizes it's hero's , and I'm completely fine with that.
    I know this groups intentions are good, so I hope they rethink the placement of those memorials.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

i'm ok with them. shelters are more an eyesore than anything. i'm a Marine so i'm biased

We saw one of these types of memorials on a summit in the Whites this past August. It didn't bother me to find it there. I just looked at the photo and thought about how young he was to give his life for his country. Our country still raises up heroes despite everything else we think is wrong with it.

I'm more than ok with it. Our fallen deserve our recognition and respect. No harm will come to the great outdoors, which also deserves our respect and appreciation, by honoring their memory in this way. A true wilderness, without trails, would not serve the purpose, as not enough souls would encounter the temporary markers. My hat is off to those who bring such an effort. Good question....thoughtful answers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    We saw one of these types of memorials on a summit in the Whites this past August. It didn't bother me to find it there. I just looked at the photo and thought about how young he was to give his life for his country. Our country still raises up heroes despite everything else we think is wrong with it.
    Second time tonight I find myself echoing your sentiments.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I don't think it's appropriate in a Wilderness Area.
    Well, they've painted an American flag on the rocks at Lehigh Gap in PA, and another flag on a mountain near Bear Mt., NY, which I personally find a lot more upsetting than some small temporary remembrance.

Well, they've painted an American flag on the rocks at Lehigh Gap in PA, and another flag on a mountain near Bear Mt., NY, which I personally find a lot more upsetting than some small temporary remembrance.
    Those locations are not Wilderness Areas. The OP specifically asked about Wilderness Areas which, under the Wilderness Act of 1964, are supposed to be kept pristine. There are plenty of other places to honor the fallen.

Doesn't bother me at all. Compared to shelters, overly blazed trails and sunflower seed shells a simple flag isn't an eye-sore.

I guess people need to stop leaving little remembrances on Little Ottie's grave, too, then, if it's inside a wilderness area, which I think it is. I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Those locations are not Wilderness Areas. The OP specifically asked about Wilderness Areas which, under the Wilderness Act of 1964, are supposed to be kept pristine. There are plenty of other places to honor the fallen.
    Where are the 3 Ridges in VA... isn't that near Buena Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    I think Buena Vista is a condo community in Florida.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I guess people need to stop leaving little remembrances on Little Ottie's grave, too, then, if it's inside a wilderness area, which I think it is. I could be mistaken.
    It lies just north of The James River Face wilderness in the National Forest. Ottie likes his presents and his presence is very real.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    East Northeast of Montebello. Includes Mau Har Trail which is a beautiful blue blazer.
    Last edited by aficion; 11-03-2013 at 22:36.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++