WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT 560 miles 10-K's Avatar

Default Hiking further by hiking less?

My normal MO is to get up around 4:30/5:00 AM and be on the trail hiking before 5:30 and not stopping until just before dark. Doing this I can get in 24-28 miles every day but after a week or so I have to take a day off because I'm fairly spent.

So... taking an average of 25 mpd * 6 days = 150 miles per week.

However, when I just hiked the Springer to Erwin section I had it setup where I would be going into a town roughly every other day (until GSMNP) so in order to maximize my time in town I stopped short at 21ish miles every day.

21 mpd * 7 days = 147 miles per week. Just 3 miles short of my normal pace.

The difference is that 21 miles a day has no noticeable effect on my energy level nor am I sore - my thought was that I could hike 21 mpd indefinitely......

I say all that to say this: Have you ever noticed that you can actually go as far by hiking less each day than if you hike as far as you physically can day in and day out.

.... I'm probably the last person to figure this out...

i start walkin' around 8 am and quit around 3 pm or so. i'm all about campin'

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I'd go stark raving mad.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    ... I'm probably the last person to figure this out...
    I think even Aesop had a handle on it.

Could it be said - "it's just camping".
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'd go stark raving mad.
    I am stark raving mad. I do both, regularly. Night hike too. I can sit and watch the grass grow for hours and be happy as a clam. Next day I might not want to sit still or stop at the end of the day. Part of the joy of being out there is being able to switch things up, whether for good reason, or just on a whim. You learn to use, and trust, your gut, especially if you don't filter or treat.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    I am stark raving mad. I do both, regularly. Night hike too. I can sit and watch the grass grow for hours and be happy as a clam. Next day I might not want to sit still or stop at the end of the day. Part of the joy of being out there is being able to switch things up, whether for good reason, or just on a whim. You learn to use, and trust, your gut, especially if you don't filter or treat.
    +1 on this!!! Some days it's about walkin' & enjoying the scenery as it goes by.......some days it's about sittin' & enjoying a beauty location!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

It probably can be explained with an inverted U curve and the law of diminishing returns (after you reach your optimal hiking rate).
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

10-K, you do in one day what it would take me a week to do. I enjoy hiking about 7-8 miles and then stopping at the best view, stream, etc campsite to rest up and enjoy the company I am with. Maybe if I can get in shape, I could go farther in a day, but right now, I just have to be happy with my miniscule distance.

Gotta post to WB!

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I think even Aesop had a handle on it.
    Ha! Tortoise and the Hare. Of course.

Journal Entries

My big mile days tended to be days I slept in and got a late start, usually one of the last or the last to leave camp. I figured it made me feel more energized so I hiked faster, also perhaps feeling a need to keep up with my social bubble helped, but in the evening I ended up being energized to go extra distance. In the south this meant 20-30 mile days (one 36 miler also), while stopping due to the end of the day, not the end of the energy. Frequent town stops and neros were my main rest, only zeroing down there due to friend visits and weather.

In the north however everything changes.

I want to know what Just Bill thinks about all this.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    10-K, you do in one day what it would take me a week to do. I enjoy hiking about 7-8 miles and then stopping at the best view, stream, etc campsite to rest up and enjoy the company I am with. Maybe if I can get in shape, I could go farther in a day, but right now, I just have to be happy with my miniscule distance.

totally agree with this. To me it is just being out there not how fast I can hike
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    totally agree with this. To me it is just being out there not how fast I can hike
    I'm not a fast hiker. I just start early and hike all day to do anywhere between 16 and 22 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I have no problem with that at all!

I was careful to put this in the "speed hiking and trail running" forum I thought... let me check.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i do whatever i want. sometimes i hike fast and far. sometimes i hike slow or not at all. whatever the mood i'm in. and i rarely keep up with it. people often ask me how far i have walked that day. i usually say something like "i figure between 12 and 15 miles." they usually reply by saying "we did 12.36, but went off trail for 0.78 miles" or something ridiculous.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    Better pull up a chair and get a long tall drink.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Better pull up a chair and get a long tall drink.
    ...and get ready to be fed a long line of bs

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    He's too busy being an outdoorsman and saving lives and stuff to care about what happens on the internets.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++