WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

One of the cheapest ways is to rent a car and drive airport to airport, for instance Atlanta to Bangor is about $100 a day - drive takes 2 days. Then bus to Millinocket and the AT Lodge package. This has the advantage of avoiding the whole TSA/airport hassle.

Forrest

Images

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    One of the cheapest ways is to rent a car and drive airport to airport, for instance Atlanta to Bangor is about $100 a day - drive takes 2 days. Then bus to Millinocket and the AT Lodge package. This has the advantage of avoiding the whole TSA/airport hassle.

Forrest
    I was leaning towards this idea as well. I know Enterprise has that whole "we'll pick you up and take you to us anywhere" thing, so I was trying to figure out a way to play on that.

Hi SOBOers, I'm planning a YOYO hike. My goal is to be in Katahdin about July 8th then head back south. I'm leaving Springer Mountain on March 1 or 2. I've been training on the PCT and areas around SoCal for seven months. My plan is to speed hike the NOBO route (go as fast as I can), then relax and enjoy the SOBO hike as much as possible. Hiking over 4,000 miles should be enjoyed. It's a dream come true to live in the wilderness for me. I hope to met so of you along the way.

My name is Hank, and you can put me down as a possible SOBO for 2014.

I originally tried SOBO back in 2005, but had to get off the trail near the VT-MA border because of a stress fracture in my foot. Not a day goes by that I do not think about getting back on the Trail. I have been buying new gear and working out some of the kinks.

Probable start date will be around 1 July.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Got my AWOL Southbound guide in the mail today. Looks good. As far as I know, AWOL is the only guidebook that has a special edition for Southbounders. For instance the AT Companion (which I also have) has to be read backwards (from back to front). But AWOL's SOBO guide has Katahdin in the beginning and Springer at the end (the way it should be).

Forrest

Hi Forrest! In your opinion, what is the best way to combat the mosquitoes? I'm considering a SOBO hike and was wondering if any mosquito nets would be necessary, or if deet seems to suffice. Thanks!

Journal Entries

Thanks for the word, Honuben. I will check the Lodge out.
    Nick
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi Forrest! In your opinion, what is the best way to combat the mosquitoes? I'm considering a SOBO hike and was wondering if any mosquito nets would be necessary, or if deet seems to suffice. Thanks!
    I did the 100 mile wilderness last June, the 3rd week in June. Lots of mosquitoes. I will admit to panicking a little when I first got out of the shuttle at Abol Bridge - I was swarmed before I could get my pack on. I was thinging, "what have I got myself into?" Many people were wearing headnets. I had one but didn't wear it - instead I just kept moving when the skeeters were really bad. I did use deet on that first day, but I got used to it as time went on and I got some experience. I wore a bandanna around my neck which helped. You gotta have something at night if you want to get any sleep - if you stay in the shelters you'll have to have deet, otherwise a tent or hammock with netting.

The black flies were rarer, but when they were around they were vicious - you look down and there is blood running down your leg.

So I wouldn't go without a plan for when you start to panic.

Forrest

Journal Entries

I can't believe you can get that sort of rate from Atlanta! I would jump on that, as I have made similar road trips. It's 3 times that from little old Pensacola, via Avis. I could fly to ATL for $100, but at that point, the flight to Bangor for $380 makes more sense.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Images

Getting excited! I have about 99% of my gear now, I'm waiting for a couple final items to come in the mail and then the moment of truth comes.. I GET TO WEIGH EVERYTHING AND DECIDE ON MY PACK!!

Right now I'm sitting between the ULA Circuit and Catalyst, the deciding factor is going to be my gear weight,

How are you other SOBOers coming with gear accumulation and preps? Just thought I'd check in with ya'll.

Images

Forrest
    Enterprise is more like $195/day plus drop off charges, etc = $400. Now add $120 in gas (35mpg) and $30+ tolls. $550 Maybe cheaper if you can find a few people to split the cost, but an airline ticket can be had for under $150 Atlanta to Boston. TSA is only a hassle if you insist on carrying-on your pack (get an old duffel, check your pack, and chuck it once you arrive) or are trying to travel with illegal substances.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Enterprise is more like $195/day plus drop off charges, etc = $400. Now add $120 in gas (35mpg) and $30+ tolls. $550 Maybe cheaper if you can find a few people to split the cost, but an airline ticket can be had for under $150 Atlanta to Boston. TSA is only a hassle if you insist on carrying-on your pack (get an old duffel, check your pack, and chuck it once you arrive) or are trying to travel with illegal substances.
    For me to fly one way one person from Chicago to Bangor it's $320, I'm going to be flying with my girlfriend so that brings it up to $640. Flying just isn't an economical option for me.

Just a few days ago changed my plans from a 2015 NOBO to a 2014 SOBO! So suddenly everything is much closer, and I'm working on getting all my gear together, planning logistics, and um, getting in shape…but I am also that much more excited (and nervous). Early-mid June but I don't have an official starting date yet.

Would love to have a buddy to start out hiking with, not a trail-long commitment or anything just someone to hang out with for the first bit

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DocMahns View Post
    For me to fly one way one person from Chicago to Bangor it's $320, I'm going to be flying with my girlfriend so that brings it up to $640. Flying just isn't an economical option for me.
    Chicago to Boston is $90 on Southwest, Concord Coach bus from there to Bangor is $44

kflo i got the same anxious/nervous feeling. Checking, changing double checking gear and starting all over again. I will start hiking on the 14th of june after relaxing in town on the 13th. I'm a bit older than you at 37 but for safety sake i'll be out there in that time frame.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Chicago to Boston is $90 on Southwest, Concord Coach bus from there to Bangor is $44
    That's a lot more manageable, I'll have to look into that. Thank you for the post and the research!

Getting excited! I have about 99% of my gear now, I'm waiting for a couple final items to come in the mail and then the moment of truth comes.. I GET TO WEIGH EVERYTHING AND DECIDE ON MY PACK!!

Right now I'm sitting between the ULA Circuit and Catalyst, the deciding factor is going to be my gear weight,

How are you other SOBOers coming with gear accumulation and preps? Just thought I'd check in with ya'll.
    In my case it's more a case of fine-tuning everything. Ordered skins for my tarp from one of the small cottage industry places. I love those tiny businesses. I used to make a lot of my own gear, but now there are so many people out there making bits and pieces with just a little web page to sell their stuff that it is much easier to support them with a few bucks.

Take a look at the Gossamer Gear packs - I use one of those - if your pack weight fully loaded is 30 pounds or less they are a good lightweight choice.

Forrest

Here you go DocMahns---
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...it-or-catalyst
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 02-09-2014 at 09:46.

Images

In my case it's more a case of fine-tuning everything. Ordered skins for my tarp from one of the small cottage industry places. I love those tiny businesses. I used to make a lot of my own gear, but now there are so many people out there making bits and pieces with just a little web page to sell their stuff that it is much easier to support them with a few bucks.

Take a look at the Gossamer Gear packs - I use one of those - if your pack weight fully loaded is 30 pounds or less they are a good lightweight choice.

Forrest
    Thanks Forrest, I'll have to take a look at it. I don't know if my full load out will be under 30lbs though. I picked up my box o' stuff today and it seemed kinda heavy....

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Thank you Hiker Momma, always a plethora of knowledge!

For you hikers leaving in June, you can make your reservations now for camping at Baxter State Park. That is, if you plan to camp in the park around the date of your summit of Katahdin. Unlike NOBOs, SOBOs can't just show up and stay at Katahdin Stream Campground. You can reserve a spot 4 months in advance, so if you are planning to stay June 10 you can reserve it starting Feb 10.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....servations.htm

Sam

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++