WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Why not moleskin?

It's too thick and like most all other adhesive products, it just doesn't stay put. Before long it's wedged between your toes causing more trouble then good.

Not only do you have to break in the boots, you have to break in your feet. Toughen up your feet by walking a lot and you'll have little or no trouble with blisters. In the mean time, your probably going to get blisters and the best way to treat them IMOHO is with a liquid bandage such as "New Skin" since it does not have the problems Moleskin and other bandages have. I.E., thier too thick and don't stay in place.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    I would suggest wearing snug fitting socks. Loose socks tend to become part of the boot and the sock will rub against your feet. With tight socks most of the friction is between the sock and the boot which is where you want it.

Maybe your boot is too stiff. Try these Merell Proterras, I have the mids, they feel like your wearing high top sneakers. I got mine a full size larger than my foot measures and added a gel insole - extreamly comfortable yet stable too. I love em, never get blisters.
    Agreed...many people assume a thicker shock is better for blisters but the sock compresses and bunches up, also as the sock compresses as you accumulate miles, you have to tighten up your shoes more. I've started using a thin, running sock and it's made a substantial difference.

Andrew Skurka recommends a single, tight, thin running sock. ALso get some Leuko tape

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Why not moleskin?
    Moleskin works okay in certain areas, like the side of a foot, bandaids work in others, like when you have a small blister on the side of a toe. I take a few of several different items in hope that something will work, sometimes nothing is best, had a silver dollar size blister on the ball of my foot last time out that was best left alone except for some New Skin. First thing I go to is a coating of New Skin, wont peal off or wash off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Went out on a 5 mile club hike last Sat. after 2 miles started on a blister, 1 mile more the other heel started. Good boots just did not fit right. Hobbled in the rest of the distance, feet still hurt 5 days later. So I've got a blister issue. My point is, I think I'm going to do blister prevention by taping my heels to begin with , even before I get a blister. probably with cloth 1st aide tape, wont hold moisture the way duct tape would. Your opinion ??
    try trail runners instead of boots
    the only people I see commonly get heel blisters are wearing boots
    YMMV
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Moleskin is a product not made by one company or under one label. As such some brands are thicker/thinner(Dr Scholls Moleskin Plus for example is a thicker product), more/less cushy, and more/less sticky. Read the labels. Look at the products. Consider and adjust if using Moleskin. I look for the thinner types at times. The thicker types at other times. Almost always go for the super sticky super adhesive Moleskin types. Sticks in place much better.

Here's a shorter list of the Moleskin brands I know of: Dr Scholls, Walgreen, Adventure, CVS, SUPER Moleskin, Curad, First Aid, Medline, etc.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Leukotape is the best tape, unless you need to tape up your boots- then you need duck tape. If you need to tape your duct work you need duct tape.
    No you need flue tape - the high temperature foil stuff. Duct tape is good for lots of things, but taping ducts isn't one of them.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    try trail runners instead of boots
    the only people I see commonly get heel blisters are wearing boots
    YMMV
    I use trail runners but still get blisters if the feet stay wet long, the last outing they stayed pretty wet for the first 11-12 days, first got a blister on the ball of my foot (new one for me), then the sides of the heels, then the little toe. I recouped fairly fast from most of them once dry but that little toe just wouldn't go away, I actually believe the band aid on the adjacent toe caused this toe to blister. I've come to the conclusion that rocky terrain, after wet feet, is the major cause of blisters for me, your feet twist in all directions and once a blister starts that motion accellerates the damage. I may try a shoe with a firmer bottom than trail runners for the PA section next time out to reduce the twisting affect on the feet by rocks.

Images

i find its more the socks than the shoes.
    first off shoes should fit right out of the box.there should be no break in period, otherwise you'll be in trouble when you have to switch out shoes during your hike.the real purpose of "breaking "in boots/shoes is to find out if the boots are right for you or not. expensive, i know, but when your trying on shoes, dont ever assume they'll feel better "once theyre broken in." they dont.
    im much happier with trail runners, and the drier your shoes are , the happier your feet will be. but for me, all the difference has been the socks. ive been wearing darn tough socks now for 2 years and havent had so much as a hot spot.theyre absorbent, they breathe, they dry quickly,and they have just enough cushioning that doesnt bunch up under the toes.
    some times it takes a while and some money to find the right shoe. experimenting with socks is a lot cheaper. army ant bought 8 pairs of shoes during his hike this year.maybe all he needed were the right socks.

Ditto. Get this book, best resource available for blister prevention and blister treatment. FWIW, "Hydropel" is no longer available on the market ... one of the best alternative producst out there is "Sportslick". "Florida Mike"
    Quote Originally Posted by ams212001 View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Fe...xing+your+feet

This book has a lot of suggestions for preventing blisters and how to treat them if they do occur.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++