WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike In NC Questions

I am starting to plan a section hike in NC in early May ( 2 half days and 3 full days). I have just got into backpacking and have only done the Uwharrie Trail (took 1 1/2 days:19 miles) and looking forward to getting on the AT. I know it will be alot different than Uwharrie but I was wondering if anyone had any advise on where to start and finish. I was thinking Deep Gap to NOC or NOC to Fontana Dam, but dont know if it is do able in that amount of time.

Also any extra advise is would be nice as well. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DMoose View Post
    I am starting to plan a section hike in NC in early May ( 2 half days and 3 full days). I have just got into backpacking and have only done the Uwharrie Trail (took 1 1/2 days:19 miles) and looking forward to getting on the AT. I know it will be alot different than Uwharrie but I was wondering if anyone had any advise on where to start and finish. I was thinking Deep Gap to NOC or NOC to Fontana Dam, but dont know if it is do able in that amount of time. Also any extra advise is would be nice as well. Thanks.
    Fontana dam is a really cool thing to see! If you have the time try to make it to the fire tower after Fontana , it is pretty awesome up there!

This is what I would do. After securing the permits and reservations, I would go to Newfound Gap in the center of GSMNP and hike North to Davenport Gap where I-40 is. It is a much nicer thrill of a hike, beautiful, remote and not many big climbs.

Images

So, you have 4 nights and 5 days, with the starting day and ending day also as travel days? That's a pretty good amount of time to get on the AT, especially if you can get an early start and be on the trail by lunchtime.

If that's the case, I'd probably do this: Park my car at Standing Indian Campground, and get a ride to NOC, then start hiking south. It's a good climb out of the gorge, but it should take only half a day, and you'll have plenty of daylight into the evening. Then hike for the next three days, which should get you down near Albert Mountain or even Standing Indian Mountain, then take whatever side trail is appropriate to get to your car from the AT (there are several choices depending on how far you get.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I just got back from doing the Standing Indian loop.

Its worth making it up to Standing Indian mnt. The trail up is pretty easy and the views are nice. The trail coming down is also nicely graded.

I took the kimsey creek trail( which is about a mile down the trail at Deep Gap) back down to the backcountry info kiosk. Or you can take the lower ridge trail at the base of Standing Indian mnt back to the campgrounds.

Images

I almost agree with big cranky. Park at standing indian, follow kimsey creek to the AT at deep gap, then head north. Noc is probably doable but (I think) there are several bail out places along the way. This also avoids the climb out of noc on your first day!

Journal Entries

Or park at fontana, shuttle to winding stair, and hike back to your car.

Journal Entries

Or park at fontana, shuttle to winding stair, and hike back to your car.
    arrive late, spend night in the hilton, then shuttle out in morning and you can be hiking at 8am.

Images

My only concern with the Fontana > Winding Stair (or vice versa) is that it's almost 60 miles of some of the toughest terrain in the South. That's a bit much for a first-time AT hiker to do in 3 full days, IMHO, even with a half day on either end. Scratch that -- it's way more than a "bit" much. That's why I suggested doing half of it (easy enough) then keep going down into the Standing Indian area, with several spots where one can take a side trail to the car.

And yes, the climb out of NOC will be an eye-opener....

Another option for the OP is to head to Georgia and hike from Springer north for 4 nights. Easy logistics (stay at The Hiker Hostel and let them shuttle you/pick you up), plenty of places to finish the hike, and a nice section of trail. Early May is beautiful. And it's not much more of a drive.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thank you all for the great ideas. I do agree with bigcranky that 60 miles is too long of a distance to cover in that amount of time. I think some where around 40 miles will be more realistic like the section throught the smokies like moldy said but dont want to deal with getting the premit and reserving the shelter. Though i bet it is worth it. I figure I can get 10 miles a day. If I were to add a day do you think that I could make it from NOC to standing Indian 51.9 miles or should I remove a day and do NOC to Fontana 29.8. It is me and a couple of buddies going and I want to get the best experience possible. Agian thanks for all the input.

Images

"Best experience possible" might not include the climb out of NOC... Hmmm.

Your analysis of the Smokies is spot on; also, there are no really good bail-out points along the AT through the Smokies -- some side trails, but no road crossings other than 441.

How about leaving a car at Winding Stair, and getting a shuttle Dick's Creek Gap in Georgia? That's almost exactly 40 miles, and includes Standing Indian, Albert Mountain, etc. Nice section. You could hike to Plumorchard Gap four miles in on day one. Should be a reasonable hike for three full days and two driving/hiking days.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    "Best experience possible" might not include the climb out of NOC... Hmmm.

Your analysis of the Smokies is spot on; also, there are no really good bail-out points along the AT through the Smokies -- some side trails, but no road crossings other than 441.

How about leaving a car at Winding Stair, and getting a shuttle Dick's Creek Gap in Georgia? That's almost exactly 40 miles, and includes Standing Indian, Albert Mountain, etc. Nice section. You could hike to Plumorchard Gap four miles in on day one. Should be a reasonable hike for three full days and two driving/hiking days.
    This sounds like a winner to be. Plus you can brag to your non-informative friends about hiking the AT in two states. You'll be treated like a god.

Journal Entries

To appreciate standing indian you will need to take a sidetrail to the summit and back.

NC has the best views from its balds and firetowers. Albert mtn, Siler bald, Wesser bald, Wayah bald, Cheoah, and a few other places.
    It really beats the smokies, so your not missing anything. Id say see as much of the winding stair-Fontana as you can. It starts getting good at Albert, and even though you think it cant possibly , each bald gets better than the one before. Seriously.

Everything before NOC is easy, except the last 300 ft of albert mtn, and its a fun rock climb basically. NC is well graded, you simply walk uphill and downhill on a nice trail. North of NOC is a bit harder.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-07-2013 at 23:21.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    To appreciate standing indian you will need to take a sidetrail to the summit and back.

NC has the best views from its balds and firetowers. Albert mtn, Siler bald, Wesser bald, Wayah bald, Cheoah, and a few other places.
    It really beats the smokies, so your not missing anything. Id say see as much of the winding stair-Fontana as you can. It starts getting good at Albert, and even though you think it cant possibly , each bald gets better than the one before. Seriously.

Everything before NOC is easy, except the last 300 ft of albert mtn, and its a fun rock climb basically. NC is well graded, you simply walk uphill and downhill on a nice trail. North of NOC is a bit harder.
    Couldn't agree with your observations more!

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    This is what I would do. After securing the permits and reservations, I would go to Newfound Gap in the center of GSMNP and hike North to Davenport Gap where I-40 is. It is a much nicer thrill of a hike, beautiful, remote and not many big climbs.
    +1..........

Think about this, Winding Stair Gap to N.O.C that's a good 2-3 day hike.

Based on your prior experience being the uwharries I would take the Smokies trip. Park at the Big Creek Ranger Station and have a shuttle take you to Newfound gap then hike north. You can stay the first night at Icewater spring only 3 miles in and do the side trip to the Jump off and one to Charlies Bunion. Day two hike to Pecks Corner 8 miles, day three to Ticorner Knob about 6 miles, day four to Cosby Knob just under 8 miles. On the last day you can hike to the Cheastnut Branch trail just over 6 miles and take back to your car at the ranger station 2.1 miles, but do the side trip to Mount Cammerer Fire Tower well worht the time 1.2 mile round trip.Total miles with side trips about 35.5 miles. This hike has a few climbs but not to bad, it has everything the smokies has to off as far as views. The shelters are large and well maintained with good water sources. One of my favorite hikes for scouts and others who are new to backpacking.

++ New Posts ++