WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Witnessed a AT thru-hiker GOING OFF on another thru-hiker because he threw a banana peel into the woods. Do you know how long that banana peel takes to fully decompose?, Would you want to see a banana peel in the woods?, Do you know the damage that can occur by doing this? Do you know bananas aren't native to this area? were her questions to the dumbstruck guy. I was ALMOST by the confrontation when she suddenly turned to me and asked: what do you think?, with a huffy tone of voice. I said, "breathe deeply and do be aware of the blades of grass you're crushing underfoot." And hiked off before she could say anything else.

Just googled it, it takes 3-4 weeks for a banana peel to decompose. I don't see what harm it would do, but then again, I'm a former apple core tosser. (Don't toss them any more because I eat the whole apple core and all--disgusts most people).
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Are you drinking green or oolong tea? I drink it several times per day at work or at home. Did you know the used leaves taste good? You can add them to a salad, I just munch on them as the time goes. If I was on a thru and if I had the presence of mind to make tea twice per day I would probably come up with some way to stash them and munch on them throughout the day as I hiked.

Otherwise just toss it away from the trail where no one can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ileah7 View Post
    So I'm a tea drinker who starts and ends every day with a cup of tea, and I do the same when backpacking. I was wondering what the general thought is to scattering or burying loose tea leaves on a thru? I am talking about nothing but the leaves, no paper, staples, string or any other trash!!!!! At home we compost tea leaves into the garden and it works great. I know it wouldn't save much weight, but that would be the main reason for doing it, and also to avoid a wet, smelly trash bag because of the tea.
    Let me go

Journal Entries
    Images

Just drink the Tea... avoid the Kool-Aid. Don't step on any Banana's and avoid the pits. - Woo
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Are you drinking green or oolong tea? I drink it several times per day at work or at home. Did you know the used leaves taste good? You can add them to a salad, I just munch on them as the time goes. If I was on a thru and if I had the presence of mind to make tea twice per day I would probably come up with some way to stash them and munch on them throughout the day as I hiked.

Otherwise just toss it away from the trail where no one can see it.
    I wonder if you could just put a pinch between your cheek and gum. Kinda like Skoal. I wonder if it would buzz ya.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I asked a similar question almost four years ago. A nice discussion ensued. You may find some of the comments enlightening. After 84 posts, I summed up what I learned here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...l=1#post976581

LALTARPITPSTTCBPFTEOFG

Odd Man Out, you have a good looking daughter. Seems bright too. Must take after her dad.

Images

Tea leaves, basically being crushed leaves, should blend right in with all the other crushed leaves along the trail… I wouldn't think anything of it, as long as you pack out the baggie and the little string thing. I understand some tea companies are getting rid of the little string, staple and paper do-dad, and only have the baggie now you lift out with a spoon.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I take your reply seriously - but to be honest isn't that what Johnny Appleseed did from a horse? And just because folks here practice LNT - nobody else does...tons of fast food trash from cars create lots of mice breeding along a highway - running over critters cause roadkill that is an attractive free meal to hawks. Because we eat food around a shelter, we have shelter mice. Preaching to a few to take on LNT isn't going to solve this... I have to freshen my cup of tea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=road...w=1600&bih=731

I'd rather pack out my trash and not be part of the problem. Period.
    Apple cores, banana peels, empty food packages -- if I packed it in, there's no reason that I can't pack it out.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

From Georgia to Maine, I brewed a quart size tea bag about every evening. I drank a pint of it with my dinner and a pint of it after I started my day.

I used the spent bag to wipe down the dinner pot (sometimes a breakfast fry pan).

Then I squeezed it out and put it in my trash baggie.

It really is easier to pack out what you pack in than to disassemble the damn thing.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Skip the tea bags. Buy loose leaf tea. The leaves sink to the bottom of the cup. Broadcast when done. I prefer tea in the PM and coffee in the AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ileah7 View Post
    So I'm a tea drinker who starts and ends every day with a cup of tea, and I do the same when backpacking. I was wondering what the general thought is to scattering or burying loose tea leaves on a thru? I am talking about nothing but the leaves, no paper, staples, string or any other trash!!!!! At home we compost tea leaves into the garden and it works great. I know it wouldn't save much weight, but that would be the main reason for doing it, and also to avoid a wet, smelly trash bag because of the tea.
    From an LNT perspective, the used damp tea leaves would not be damaging to the environment. Potentially if left on the ground in a clump at your campsite they would be a "smellable" that might cause an animal to come by to check out what is making that aroma. So a purist would probably either pack them out or scatter them well away from any established camping area. Being sort of a purist myself, that's what I do.
    Last edited by QiWiz; 11-12-2013 at 17:43.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I can never decide if I should feed the feral cats or trap them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++