WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Alone

Default Hiking Alone

I plan on hiking alone and wondered about the problems with resupplying in towns while wearing a pack. Seems like a store would not like it due to stealing problems but I cannot just leave it and go shopping. Has anyone encountered this problem?

If staying in town for the night I would leave my pack in the room. Otherwise you will probably meet another hiker along the way, you can watch each others packs. If not maybe talk to the store manager, maybe he will let you leave it in the office or behind a counter while you shop. (as long as its not too funky smelling)

I haven't done it but I've heard that others have placed their packs in the shopping cart and wheeled them thru whatever store they are in. I agree with you - I'm not leaving my pack unattended.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Pack in shopping cart works a treat, just ask at customer service once you go in, always pays to ask.

I've left my pack outside many places, never had a problem but I keep it in a visible location

I think it helps to have a fairly compact pack in terms of volume/size and to clean up prior to going to a store. Unless there is a sign, I'd say taking the pack in is fine. If the store manager has an issue, ask nicely about leaving the pack up front where they can keep an eye on it. Ironically, it seems like the national park concessionaires are the most strict when it comes to packs. SNP, Yosemite and Grand Canyon were all like that on my trips this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Opa View Post
    Has anyone encountered this problem?
    No...........
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

You'll find that most trail towns are very use to you lugging a pack around. In small stores, (dollar general, etc), I felt fine leaving mine either just outside or inside the front door. You will find some businesses that ask you to leave your pack outside, (I think it's probably an issue of smell more then shop lifting). In larger stores, I would just wear it around the store while I shopped or throw it in the cart and push it around.
    After the first time or two, you'll see that it's really not a huge issue

Wow, that's great that you are thinking about this before you even get on the trail!

I live near a small resupply town so I have seen what hikers do with their packs. I've seen them laying out on the sidewalk in front of the local outfitters. (I might not feel comfortable doing that myself) They have a room, in the back, where you could ask to put your pack, while you shop. I'm certain the Kroger (grocery store) would allow you to put your pack in ur buggy to shop, if you didn't leave it at the hotel (assuming you were spending the night)

If you want to go inside a restaurant, with your pack, that would be the biggest challenge, I see. I was eating outside at a restaurant when some hikers walked by... Of course we spoke, I ended up watching their packs for them while they ate. They didn't want to bring them inside b/c of the smell. They could have eaten outside, as well, so that wouldn't have been a prob. They wanted to eat inside... something to do with air conditioning.

I've never had a problem. I guess I've been lucky. I've always found people willing to help when I'm in town for resupply. If you're not sure, ask.

Pack in a grocery cart, ask an employee if it is ok and then when checking out, put the food into your pack so you dont use bags that you are just going to throw out 30 seconds later. LNT should be used in towns as well
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Can't say I've ever had a problem with this. It's just not normally much of an issue. A couple of weeks into it and you'll have figured out the lay of the land.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    Ironically, it seems like the national park concessionaires are the most strict when it comes to packs. SNP, Yosemite and Grand Canyon were all like that on my trips this year.
    I'd be willing to bet thats because of terrorist concerns.

I put my pack in the grocery cart in bigger stores. At most restaurants, I put my rain cover on my pack to 'hide' stuff & left it near the front door. If possible, I sat where I could see it. That wasn't always possible. In towns that I stayed in, it stayed in the hostel or motel room.

Not an issue in 99% of trail towns, the local businesses depend on hiker traffic and accommodate it. In many cases thruhikers are tourist attractions that attract business. There are some businesses that unfortunately may have had several bad encounters with so called thru hikers and generally its easy to figure out. Even with them a bit of politeness goes a long way. It is extremely rare that you ever be the only thru hiker in town and you will quickly figure out the folks that are hiking are roughly your speed so when you get into town its usually easy to meetup with someone you know.

In general despite having goodwill to 99.9 percent of hikers and town folks, my wallet and id stays with me at all times even if the pack gets stashed somewhere.

I somewhat disagree with the idea that "it pays to ask". Sometimes this will be true, others I think this old adage may apply: "Easier to get forgiveness than permission". I.e., if you ask, someone might think they're required to tell you 'no', whereas they might not say anything if you just do it, or at worse ask you not to. In any event, I think intuition and situational awareness will tell you when it's best to use which approach.
    Restaurants generally have allowed me to put the pack somewhere indoors.
    Bigger issue for me generally is gas station mini-marts. Narrow aisles, not a lot of room to schlep a pack around in, no place to put it inside, yet cars driving up and departing constantly. Just sort of "being aware" and of course not taking more time inside than necessary, and recalling that such crimes are pretty darned rare.

Agree with peakbagger that wallet/ID stays with you. On other trails I often stash my wallet in my pack somewhere but on the AT you go into towns often enough or share shelters with non thru-hiking strangers that I just always have my wallet on me. I think it's a good idea to have your phone readily available and stuff it in a pocket when leaving the pack even for a moment too.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Nope. Pack goes in the shopping cart in Wal-Marts/grocery stores and on the porch or in a grassy area that you can see from inside the building for small general stores/restaurants if stopping in a town you're not staying for the night. Take your $, phone and electronics in with you. No one in the general public wants your smelly tent, clothes etc and other hikers already have that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    No one in the general public wants your smelly tent, clothes etc and other hikers already have that stuff.
    Most non-hikers have no idea how much gear costs. I sent a picture of my Hexamid to a family member when I got it earlier this year and they wanted to know why I was being such a cheapskate instead of getting a "proper tent".

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    Most non-hikers have no idea how much gear costs. I sent a picture of my Hexamid to a family member when I got it earlier this year and they wanted to know why I was being such a cheapskate instead of getting a "proper tent".
    Really. Don't you know you could of had a 2 room cabin tent from Walmart for $79.00.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries

I just placed my pack in the cart, never a issue.

Almost never an issue. Don't even worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++