WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Getting the guilt trip?

A few years ago I did a short section hike- Springer to Franklin. I've always wanted to get back to the trail with
    the opportunity to hike longer.

I've got that opportunity now. I'm single, no real bills/mortgage, and the savings to hike as long as like. The thing I got against
    me is that I'm 35. When I mention wanting to hike the AT, I find I'm getting the "when are you going to settle down"? speech.

Just curious to hear what resistance other's encountered when mentioning their AT hike dreams.

Thanks.

I don't think you should worry about what others think and just do what you want to do.

Question: Why does it say ur age is 43 on ur profile?

I plan on attempting a thru-hike in 4 years when I retire at 62. Don't listen to the naysayers. When are you going to grow up? Hopefully Never!!

Quote Originally Posted by erieite View Post
    I plan on attempting a thru-hike in 4 years when I retire at 62. Don't listen to the naysayers. When are you going to grow up? Hopefully Never!!
    People would ask me what I would do when I grow up. I replied you mean "if". Now its a foregone conclusion it is just not going to happen. Thank God.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Life's too short to worry about what everybody else thinks. The more money I make the less important it seems. What good is all the money in the world if you can't enjoy it? Do something you love and love it. If, someday, you love settling down then do that. Otherwise, enjoy it as you see fit.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Journal Entries

Just do it.

Live your life, the way that makes you happy.

Many people that have "settled down" are really not happy.They just dont say it, or maybe even realize it.

13% of americans, mostly young and middle aged, take anti-depressants. Many more cope with alcohol. Some cope with leisure activities.

The average life is mundane, and saddled with debt is much like being in a prison. The american dream is really more like a nightmare.

The most common shortcoming of people that I have observed, is simply the failure to figure out how to enjoy this life they have been given. Life is an amazing gift. Enjoy it!

"Open your eyes
    Realize you're not dead
    Take a look at an open book
    Do what you like, that's what I said
    Do what you like" Blind Faith...The Album

Journal Entries
    Images

a few years ago i was unhappy with my job/city and i wanted to quit work, pack it up, and hike the AT. my mother begged me to at LEAST start by looking for a job closer to the AT (I was 6 hours away) first. So, I did. And an amazing job in the PERFECT town [for me] fell into my lap. it's been > 3 years now and i'm happier than i ever thought i could be! i can drop everything on off days and drive 15 minutes up to the trail to hike or do magic. unfortunately for mom, i'm still single and she's without grandchildren. i suppose she picked her battles. :-p other people told me i was CRAZY for moving in the first place.

so i dismissed some advice...took other advice with a grain of salt...and listened to what was in MY heart.

it's paid off well.
    maybe i'll thru hike someday. i hope. perhaps i can retire early.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. Do it while you knee's, back, feet, etc. are in good enough shape to do it.

Don't listen to them, they are expressing their own failures in life.

I'm with ya brother...I'm 38 right now but have heard this all before. Here's what my life has looked like:
    - 1994: hiked the Long Trail
    - 1995: hike Springer to Troutville, 715 miles
    Then tried to 'settle down' which meant working like 60 hours a week and getting nowhere
    - 1997-2000: joined punk rock band and put out 7 records, toured the United States
    - 2001: hiked Waynesboro to NJ, 500 miles
    - 2002: moved to New Zealand with no job and no plan
    - 2008: hiked Springer to Atkins, 540 miles
    - 2009: moved to Australia
    - 2010: drove 17,000 miles around the United States, hiked the Northville-Placid Trail
    - 2012: spent 6 weeks in the US, road tripping and some touring, went to Peru and Boliva for 2 weeks
    - 2013: went on tour again, 18 shows
    - 2014: going on tour in Feb, 20 shows, then moving to Switzerland in June after 5 weeks hiking in the US or Australia

Settle down? What's that? I think most people look at their lives, they see that they haven't done anything worthwhile, and then they see others 'trying' to get something more out of this world. For some reasons the most common reaction is to discourage others from doing what they want, because it's really not about the other person...it's about them.

"I've done nothing but worked my whole life and did what I was told and what society expected from me, therefore that's what EVERYONE should do"

And despite all my experiences over the years, I still managed to remain debt free until recently when we decided to buy a house.

Settle down, at 35? Here's some news for people, life is not a rehearsal, if you are waiting to you retire to live I feel sorry for you. Start living life at 60? Are you kidding me? The most amusing part of it all is that all the people I know who 'settled down' earlier in life have nothing I don't have, other than perhaps a $100,000 jump on my mortgage.

You could go to the doctor tomorrow and find out you have 6 months to live, anything can happen, get out there and live now. If I can do it anyone can, I have a limited education and have a learning disability...doesn't mean jack, I keep going...why not?

Life is there waiting to be lived, get out there and live it because many, many people don't have that choice.
    Last edited by stranger; 11-17-2013 at 03:34.

Images

Do it! Looking back I have no regrets about my hikes (AT. & PCT) I even quit a great job to finish PCT. A few years ago after my dad retired I was having a heart to heart with him & asked what he thought of my hiking. He said he wished at times he was a little more like me. You are still young enough to get another job without to much trouble if your skills are needed. Make memories. Month of hike will bring you ones that a lifetime. How many of those will you get in the same amount of time working?

Either go hike the AT or not. Stop blaming others. Get over your own excuses. Troll.

Journal Entries

What that speech sounds like is someone, usually a parent, trying to force the person into their paradign onto how they care to see your life progress, guilt is a common weapon that is used often to 'enforce' this.

May I recommend that the only emotion used to influence your decision should be love (and it's forms such as kindness and caring, which btw is overly abundant on a AT thru). And I would add many of those who say you should to do the AT it is the kindness that one should be following, as they are encouraging you being you and following your heart, but that you need to evaluate.

Good Luck and Happy Hiking

Images

2 1/2 years ago you posted something similar about your girlfriend. and today you're still worried about what people think. if you are telling us the whole truth about no responsibilities, then go. enjoy your trip
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 11-17-2013 at 20:15.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

"settling down" is about child rearing mostly.

And the push to encourage someone to do it, is because women have biological clocks, and they want to do it while they have time.

Wait too long, and finding a woman near your age becomes more difficult.

If thats not in someones plans, there is no reason to ever "settle down".

Plenty of people have kids then ditch them, and continue to lead a nomadic lifestyle. They are generally called scum.

Somebody once told me "The most interesting people I've met had no idea what they wanted to do with their life when they were 20. They had no idea what they wanted to do with their life when they were 30. Or 40, or 50, or 60." I say never settle down.

Journal Entries

Set out to have ONE really great experience every couple of years
    And by the time you are 60, you will have had too many to list

Or, you could just play golf on saturdays with coworkers.
    Your choice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++