WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    . .
    ah, didn't know that, thanks for the info

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    My caffeine = Diet Coke. Same as my wife. But, we both drink a lot of it. Withdrawals? Usually I don't have any. Maybe a slight headache. My wife? She'll get migraines. So, she takes No-doz tablets (cut in half) several times a day when were out hiking.

Well Carl - its not as much as coffee.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Instant coffee packets don't weigh much. I dump one in my Gatorade bottle as needed.

Coffee has a heavy load of caffeine. I thought you preferred tea? Keep your input nice and steady and then taper down slowly, a cup at a time. Get your "cups" down to regular size too. You could sub in a cup of black tea instead of a cup of coffee and switch over to black tea eventually. Then move to green tea. I drink green tea, 3 cups a day. Used to be four but I cut one out after lunch. On the trail, I brew two cups in the morning. I sometimes bring instant tea which has caffeine but I don't always do that. Even with just two cups, the exercise of hiking seems to ckeep away the light headache I might start to get if I were to skip the third cup at home.

Coffee is hard to regulate because it can be brewed to different strengths, it's generally brewed a pot at a time, and it is served in different sized cups. As long as you are not using loose tea, the tea strength caffeine-wise is about the same, regardless of the cup. Don't brew pots of tea.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thanks again for the comments and advice. Keep 'em rolling. Splitting headache this morning so I caved and grabbed a large double double on the way to work for 1pm shift, and backed that up with 2 ibuprofen. Tomorrow I will make it a medium coffee and 1 ibuprofen if needed. See how it goes.

I like your recs Alligator. That's one of the things I've been doing in the last yr or so - decreasing my coffee intake by drinking more green and herbal teas.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and advice. Thinking about my increasing caffeine consumption over the past 10-20 years. Noticed a trend towards more and more caffeine in the marketplace, in various forms, and a lot of marketing to go with it. 30-40 years ago McDonalds was Big Mac, Fries, and Shake. For the past 20 years it has become more about the Big Coke, and now they are pushing the coffee, which is really good by the way. Can't fault them for keeping up with the trend. The marketing of energy drinks to kids by Red Bull etc does concern me. Gotta keep a closer eye on caffeine consumption. These headaches and aches and pains piss me off. I know a big coffee would fix me right up, and that pisses me off even more. Gonna try cold turkey for a few days. When I do go back, it will be a smaller coffee, good quality, and just one in the morning. Cheers.
    LOL. "These headaches and aches and pains piss me off. I know a big coffee would fix me right up, and that pisses me off even more." LOL. That's the way I feel. It tells me too that I have more than a recreational use of coffee.

I'll tell you as I've heard it from those on the inside of the coffee biz - coffee has a HUGE HUGE mark-up. Coffee drinking has exploded in the U.S. The last time I saw a gas station or restaurant not offering up the drug habit was many decades ago. Coffee shops/cafes and drive thru coffee shacks dot nearly major city/town I travel through. Coffee AND COFFEE RELATED PRODUCTS have the potential for HUGE profits. I've read in a few places that the U.S. drinks more coffee than any other nation based on population. And, even with "gourmet" coffees coffee is ridiculously inexpensive at wholesale bulk prices. When I was initially told how cheap the coffee itself is I was astonished not wanting to accept the product costs. Then I started eliciting feedback from others in the coffee biz. What we pay for in that "cup" of coffee is actually very little in terms of the coffee itself. I'm hearing in a $1.20-$2.20 coffee(just fresh brewed coffee) the coffee itself is only 5 -25 cts.

Journal Entries
    Images

Whoo - when you drink these drinks be thankful you can piss and Bear isn't there to show you how to drink it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Had a really bad coke habit in the past. Snorted it all the time. Had to give it up because the ice cubes kept getting stuck in my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Had a really bad coke habit in the past. Snorted it all the time. Had to give it up because the ice cubes kept getting stuck in my nose.
    I've only experimented with snorting coke once or twice, but even I knew enough to take the ice cubes out first.

I tried snorting caffeine free diet coke for a while. It didn't do anything for me.

Images

tried new coke once, not as good.

Alligator got it right. I used to drink a lot more tea, especially when hiking. I need to ween myself off of coffee altogether, or maybe limited to one cup in the morning. When hiking I am confident I can leave the coffee home and just go with tea. I like black tea and have it chai style with lots of skim milk powder and my own spices, many of which also go well in porridge or soup. Cardamom, Anise, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cloves are my staple spices, and I keep them separate to add in different measures depending on what I am doing. When hiking I have never taken ibuprofen or any other painkiller but I have carried it in my first aid. Haven't gone for a decent hike since these headaches have started as I've tried to cut down on my coffee addiction. Maybe that's a big part of my problem / problems. I need to make time for a decent hike. Ideally, a 4-9 day hike at least once per season.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Alligator got it right. I used to drink a lot more tea, especially when hiking. I need to ween myself off of coffee altogether, or maybe limited to one cup in the morning. When hiking I am confident I can leave the coffee home and just go with tea. I like black tea and have it chai style with lots of skim milk powder and my own spices, many of which also go well in porridge or soup. Cardamom, Anise, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cloves are my staple spices, and I keep them separate to add in different measures depending on what I am doing. When hiking I have never taken ibuprofen or any other painkiller but I have carried it in my first aid. Haven't gone for a decent hike since these headaches have started as I've tried to cut down on my coffee addiction. Maybe that's a big part of my problem / problems. I need to make time for a decent hike. Ideally, a 4-9 day hike at least once per season.
    I'm slightly addicted to coffee and only drink 3 to 4 cups per day plus a Mountain Dew on the drive to work. When hiking it doesn't seem to bother me to drop to one cup in the evening with dinner.

Images

Mens health said that drinking 4-6 cups of coffee a day reduces chances of stroke and heart disease in men. Enough said. No other further studies necessary that may attempt to refute this one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear:1816574
    Mens health said that drinking 4-6 cups of coffee a day reduces chances of stroke and heart disease in men. Enough said. No other further studies necessary that may attempt to refute this one.
    In about 3 mins I will be further reducing my chance of stroke. Very happy about taking proactive steps towards wellness.

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    Lead Scientist was named Juan Valdez.

Garlic
    Images

First time someone handed me a water pipe I laughed, "You can't light water. That $hit will not burn!"

The other thing I am contending with, hear at home rather than on trail, is timing things so I get the right kind of sleep at the right time of day. I do papers in morning, so I get up around 5:30am, then work later in the day on an 8 hour shift that might run 9am-5pm s late as 1pm-9pm. Ideally I get sleepy around 10pm, and fall asleep by 11pm, and I don't mind waking up in the middle of the night for an hour as long as I fall back asleep again and am fully awake 30 minutes into my paper route. Lately things have gotten a little wacked and I've woken up bright eyed and bushy tailed either too long or to late in the night only to be completely comatose and with legs like lead when it comes time to do the papers, or later when it comes time to do my shift. For the past year I have managed things poorly by drinking way too much coffee whenever needed, rather than limiting it to a more reasonable dose at just the right time of day. Also complicated by big cokes from McDonalds now and then, especially during the summer when they have their $1 deal. So knocking the coffee down to small cup once a day, not quite sure when yet. Thinking best time might be when I drive my wife to work at 7:30. I would like to be able to do the papers after a good night sleep without having to use the coffee right away, but maybe 5:30 might work better than 7:30. It will take some time to find the right routine, but getting the dose down, and getting the timing right, that's where I am heading. Diet and exercise and sleep is a big part of it also. I think a big part of the aging process if finding a routine that works long term. Finding the wisdom to do what makes you feel got tomorrow rather than for the moment. Much more necessary when you are older.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++