WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 100 Mile Wilderness

Nearly all of my hiking is done in Virginia. Looking at the topo maps for the AT in Virginia, and the AT in Maine, it appears to show the Virginia areas having more elevation changes. I can easily cover 20 mile days in Virginia. For those who have been through the 100 mile wilderness, what makes it so "slow going" that they advise 10 days of food? The 10 day supply suggests 10 mile days. Thanks in advance.

I think that if you read some journals you will get a better idea of what hikers have done. 6-7 days is not all that hard to do. The trail is not as smooth as in Virginia-think rocks, roots, and mud so that hiking is slower. The other issue is re-supply. Although there are indeed some limited options it is not as easy as in the south. Many folks rate this 100 miles as one of the best sections on the whole trail. Hopefully we can limit the huge wind turbines that threaten this section so that it remains special.

Images

the trail is more rocks and roots. its more of a foot path than it is a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I think that if you read some journals you will get a better idea of what hikers have done. 6-7 days is not all that hard to do. The trail is not as smooth as in Virginia-think rocks, roots, and mud so that hiking is slower. The other issue is re-supply. Although there are indeed some limited options it is not as easy as in the south. Many folks rate this 100 miles as one of the best sections on the whole trail. Hopefully we can limit the huge wind turbines that threaten this section so that it remains special.
    Appreciate this. All the books I have read pretty much glance over it and say rivers/mud were their main "complaint". Perhaps journals, as you suggest, will indeed go into specific details to paint a better mental picture for me.

Thanks Doc and MrCoffee

Images

maine doesn't know what a switchback is. many info you read is people starting SOBO with little hiking experience.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

AT 2012

...so, yes, for everyone the mph is somewhat reduced in the 100 miles, in comparison, from the trails in VA, but that just means a little longer day if you want to hike farther. It isn't particularly hard- you are right about the elevation changes. figure about a quarter mile an hour pace reduction. i suppose as a disclaimer i should say -- also depends on personal variables: how sure footed/nimble you are and how much you like to climb.
    Lazarus

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

As 1asarus said, it depends on how nimble you are. I do not remember very much of the trail where you could just flat out stride at least not at my age. It is mostly all rocks and roots with mud, scrambles, and climbs thrown in for good measure. Having said that it was one of my favorite sections. I was able to do a resupply half way through at White House Landing.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Garlic
    Images

My general impression of the HMW was a difficult wet stumble through the southern half, then a pleasant easy trail walk in the northern half. I hiked it in four days and change. My average for the whole trail was twenty miles per day.

In general, I remember VA as having much better trail tread. Total elevation change does not tell the story in ME.

Just did it last June in 7 days. The northern half is relatively flat, but can be boggy. Southern half has more climbs. Make your time in the northern half. Very little trail maintenance in Maine. Just rocks and roots. If it rains the trail will be a stream.

I parked at Shaw's in Monson, ate breakfast with them, and then got a shuttle to Abol Bridge and hiked back to my truck. Took a shower and drove home to GA. Good deal.

I think the 10 day thing is a hold over from the old days when hikers were lugging 40+ pound frame pack loads around. With the much lighter loads now common, most can shave 3-4 days off the trip, doing it in a week or less.

But overall, the trail in Maine is much rougher than the rest of the AT and that slows you down a lot. The climbs are steep and the decents trecherous and that slows you down a lot. In the 100 Mile Wilderness, there are also the river fords to contend with. Take all that together and it takes about the same amount of time and effort to do 10 miles in Maine as it does to do 20 miles Virginia.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I believe the 10 day suggestion applies to weekend warriors.

I wanted to make sure I could take all the time I wanted to traverse the HMW on my thru, so I started with 10 days worth of food. And, because it was getting cold, I bought some extra clothes in town. I started the HMW with a 62 pound pack, which was the highest of the entire trip. It took me 6 days.

Class o' 2013

well this year with the amount of rain in september, the trail was flooded with shin-deep water for 30 straight miles we never stepped out of the water. and we still made it all the way thru the 100 miles and the the majority of the way through baxter in only 4 1/2 days. Its exactly like the rest of maine, hard and slow-going; if Virginia is running... then Maine is tip-toeing, its such a huge difference from the South.

The first half is still mountainous and like others have said, even in the sections where the trail is fairly flat flat the rocks and roots are a huge pain. There are people in Monson who do food drops in the middle of the wilderness. A lot of people took advantage of that so they didn't have to carry 5-6 days of food.

The first 30 miles out of Monson took me 21 hours. The footing is just so tedious. Just looking at elevation maps does not paint the picture.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I didn't do a resupply cache out of Monson. I'll show you my actual itinerary & the probably itinerary if I ever do it again.
    Day 1: 15.1 M @ Long Pond Stream Lean-to
    Day 2: 10.9 M @ Chairback Gap Lean-to
    Day 3: 9.9 M @ Carl Newhall Lean-to
    Day 4: 18.9 M @ Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to (nice location)
    Day 5: 14 M @ White House Landing
    Day 6: 19.4 M @ Rainbow Lake Campsite
    Day 7: 21.2 @ The Birches Lean-to (Baxter St. Park)
    Day 8: 5.1 summit of Katahdin & back down.

At the start, I was carrying the most food weight of the entire trip. I took my time to try & bleed off some of the food weight. If I were to do it again, I'd use the food cache service at Lakeshore House in Monson (Shaw's was really expensive; when I heard how much it was, I didn't bother checking w/ Lakeshore... regretted not doing so). Probably do the same distance on day 1, combine days 2 & 3, and probably follow the same itinerary the rest of the way (maybe bypass White House Landing to go further on that day & shorten the other days).

As others have said, elevation at the beginning & roots at the end. Just prior to stopping at Rainbow Lake Campsite (next to the last night on the AT), a root tripped me & I did a face-plant on the trail. I was so happy that I didn't hurt anything (other than my pride). It was literally two minutes before I got to the camp. I was very cautious on the next two days (Birches & the summit).

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I would take 7 days food and resupply at Abol Bridge campground if needed for the short hike into Baxter SP and the climb up K the next day.

Two years ago Shaw's charged $80 to do a food drop at Jo Mary Rd (half way through the 100 mile). If you have several hikers go in on it and split the price that's not too expensive.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Roots rocks rain not many if any switchbacks- rain slowed me down a bit you have to really watch your footing in certain areas northern part was fairly easy I resupplied at whitehouse landing creek crossings were not bad at all beautiful section of the AT If I had to choose one section to redo it would be the HMW.

Hillbilly

Check the status of White House Landing before leaving if you are considering it for a stopping point. Wonderful place run by wonderful people who are trying to sell the camp and enter next phase of life.

Maine is beautiful. Enjoy.
    Dimples

The 100 Miles of Wilderness in Maine differ significantly from the AT in Virginia. Although there are some stretches of the 100 Miles where you might make 20 miles a day, jagged peaks (very slippery when wet) and swampy low areas will slow you down. The 100 Miles took me 7 days (in July) and it rained nearly every day. As others have stated, the AT is better maintained in VA, where I can generally make 15-20 miles per day.

Images

from what ive heard from linda this was their last year wether they sell or not. No whl in2014

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++