WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Has it ever been done?

Does anyone know of a case where an unsupported thru-hiker did the trail without ever going in to town? Of course such a hike would entail walking thru Hot Springs, etc. But has a thru hike ever been done without leaving the trail, other than to gather water or sleep in the woods, just off the trail. This would obviously require caching.

No. What would motivate a person to hike like this? Can you imagine what this guy would smell like? Town is where we hike to, it's where we are going. Ask any hiker where he's going. He is heading up the trail to the next town, for a bath, a burger and/or a beer. Without towns we would not last 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    No. What would motivate a person to hike like this? Can you imagine what this guy would smell like? Town is where we hike to, it's where we are going. Ask any hiker where he's going. He is heading up the trail to the next town, for a bath, a burger and/or a beer. Without towns we would not last 2 weeks.
    I live in town. Don't need to go hike to appreciate my burgers, beers, and showers. I actually like it out there, which is a good thing given how many times I've been told I really am out there.

I would be interested in finding out how Gramma Gatewood did it in the beginning of time for ladies. The population was a lot less back then and she only had a laundry bag, ked tennis shoes and a shower curtain. What a lady. Rolls

Do you want to be a hiker or a hermit? I have never encountered a hiker who was not going to town. Not one. Ever. Grandma Gatewood was heading to town. You should try this, could be a book in it for you, maybe a reality TV show.

Do you want to be a hiker or a hermit? I have never encountered a hiker who was not going to town. Not one. Ever. Grandma Gatewood was heading to town. You should try this, could be a book in it for you, maybe a reality TV show.
    I may. Long as I don't have to have jail time to qualify.

I'm VERY comfortable to say this is impossible, not so much logistically, but as far as motivation goes...no way. I cannot possible see the upside to a hike like that.

In 2001 Jon Muir walked across Australia, alone, unsupported and largely lived off the land, I do think he hit one or two towns however, but when I say 'town' we are talking about a extremely remote, Aboriginal village on a unpaved road most likely.

Grama Gatewood stayed in a lot of peoples houses along the way. Back then the trail followed a lot more country roads. Over the years the trail has been moved off the roads and to go around towns.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    I live in town. Don't need to go hike to appreciate my burgers, beers, and showers. I actually like it out there, which is a good thing given how many times I've been told I really am out there.
    Except when you start living on the trail, you do appreciate going to town for those ammenities. And it doesn't take long for most, 3-4 days maybe?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Does anyone know of a case where an unsupported thru-hiker did the trail without ever going in to town? Of course such a hike would entail walking thru Hot Springs, etc. But has a thru hike ever been done without leaving the trail, other than to gather water or sleep in the woods, just off the trail...
    Depends on how you view a thru-hiker(it's just a made up term anyway and it's certainly not universally agreed upon what the hell the definition of a thru-hiker is anyhow(that's quite obvious based on all the threads and debates that ensue here when the topic arises!)). Native American Indians would be viewed as long distance hikers to me who traveled seasonally sometimes 1000's of miles. They didn't have the conveniences of "towns", high tech UL modern gear, all the damn over analyzed to death trail data in umpteen books and websites to follow, etc. If Native American Indians did get to N. America across the Bering Strait via a land or ice bridge or by some watercraft, as some Anthropologist surmise, that must have been one helluva hike/packraft thru-hike!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Depends on how you view a thru-hiker(it's just a made up term anyway and it's certainly not universally agreed upon what the hell the definition of a thru-hiker is anyhow(that's quite obvious based on all the threads and debates that ensue here when the topic arises!)). Native American Indians would be viewed as long distance hikers to me who traveled seasonally sometimes 1000's of miles. They didn't have the conveniences of "towns", high tech UL modern gear, all the damn over analyzed to death trail data in umpteen books and websites to follow, etc. If Native American Indians did get to N. America across the Bering Strait via a land or ice bridge or by some watercraft, as some Anthropologist surmise, that must have been one helluva hike/packraft thru-hike!
    Not a good comparison, because they lived off the land and we really don't know much about how or when they got here. The conventional idea is that they came here starting after the last ice age ~12,000 years ago. However that timeline has been proven very faulty and basically wrong; some say as long as 50,000 years ago. Besides they didn't just walk in one calendar year (sarcasm). It was more of a migration over many generations.

BTW, I'm not sure of how far they traveled from their tribal camps during hunts, i.e. in one trip (not accumulated miles); I'm kind of curious. Can you provide a link? But again I know they carried provisions and I know they did live off the land somewhat, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had "towns" that they could stop in, i.e. other tribe establishments. And they didn't take on these adventures alone. We humans are just not too good at living off the land in a purist way; this was something they were trained (knowledge gained over generations) for and planned for, they didn't just go out into the wilds. They were also known to follow established trails, so in a sense that kind of hints at them following a routine.

I think one would have to be supported in order to thru-hike without stops in town, but then that would be self defeating and really wouldn't be a note worthy accomplishment. I wouldn't be impressed one bit, even if it was done via caches.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    I would be interested in finding out how Gramma Gatewood did it in the beginning of time for ladies. The population was a lot less back then and she only had a laundry bag, ked tennis shoes and a shower curtain. What a lady. Rolls

Try this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Spring.../dp/0917953843

Or This

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gran...1613747186&r=1
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

No, no one has ever done it.

There were some slack-packers this year that came close, but even they flocked to town comforts.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by rickb; 11-16-2013 at 10:45.

Journal Entries
    Images

Does anyone know of a case where an unsupported thru-hiker did the trail without ever going in to town? Of course such a hike would entail walking thru Hot Springs, etc. But has a thru hike ever been done without leaving the trail, other than to gather water or sleep in the woods, just off the trail. This would obviously require caching.
    While he certainly came into towns, Eustace Conway hiked the AT in a way that might capture the spirit of what you are asking about. Dumpster diving not withstanding.

He is easy to google, but unfortunately there was only a small bit written about his thru hike in Gilbert'sThe Las American Man. Which is understandable, but still. He certainly didn't go the B&B route.

I think WB's own Tipi Walter spent some time with him.

Images

The scenario you describe is a very specialized set of rules. has there been a hiker that hasn't spent a night in town, likely. Gone without a civilized shower, likely (I know a woman did the pct a few years back and went most of the trip without a shower.) Cached vs walking into town a half mile to store. is there really a difference? Buying food at the store vs eating at a restaurant. Is there much of a difference? Could someone do the exact scenario that you're describing? likely but it would only be to make a point or set some silly record so I am doubtful that anyone actually would find the "rules" worth it.

Images

What be be the longest section without walking into a town?
    Hotsprings, resupply .. Erwin, resupply .. Damascus, resupply
    If the towns were close enough farther north I could see it as a real possibility. I only got off the trail once between springer and Damascus. A trip to smokey mountain brewery because the group I was hiking with through the smokeys worked there so we went for pizza and beer then back to the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    If the towns were close enough farther north I could see it as a real possibility.
    Harper's Ferry is 540 miles north, unless you include Daleville (the AT empties out on Rt. 220, quarter mile from a Kroger's).
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    If the towns were close enough farther north I could see it as a real possibility. I only got off the trail once between springer and Damascus. A trip to smokey mountain brewery because the group I was hiking with through the smokeys worked there so we went for pizza and beer then back to the trail.
    I don't get your point. It is irrelevant (if I understand the op correctly) how the towns are situated. This is all about not resupplying in town, nor taking advantage of any amenities; the fact that the AT goes thru some towns is irrelevant, if this person just simply walks thru, period. If he stops for a shower, bed, resturant, dumpster... then he's failed; but to simply walk thru town (without stopping) is really no different than walking down the trail.

Images

The way I take it is not to leave the trail to go to town. But if the trail goes through a town, nowhere does he say he wouldn't resupply. I guess we both read it differently.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++