WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Monson Slate & JFK memorial

With this week marking the 50th anniversary of the assassination of JFK, there was just a piece on CBS SUnday Morning that ended with a shot of JFKs gravestone and the eternal flame at Arlington National Cemetery.

The black slate came from a quarry in Monson, as it was considered the very best. I never thought of the slate queries in Monson when walking through, or why even humble homes in the area had slate roofs-- and only learned that when checking the photos on the wall in the town laundromat years later.

I can only imagine how much history and stories I walked by without a second thought.
    Last edited by rickb; 11-17-2013 at 11:59.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

The sidewalks in Monson are made of slate too. Quite slippery when wet.

Monson slate is still available commercially. I specified it for inside my house and for patios. Same price as more common Brazilian slate. It is about double the density of most slates, a true neutral gray in color, and very low cleft, meaning layers don't slough off. Most slates are not suitable for monuments. Kind of fun to have a connection to the Trail in my house, and now I know there's also a connection to JFK. Thanks.

A lot of raw slate is laid out on display in the lot right next to the gas station that makes the wonderful pizza.

++ New Posts ++