WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How well do you Yogi?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default How well do you Yogi?

The practice/art of yogi-ing involves manipulating a good-hearted individual/chump to give you some thing or some service without asking for it directly. This anonymous poll asks how well do you yogi.

I question the term "chump". I'd like to think of it as giving kind-hearted and generous individuals the opportunity to be kind-hearted and generous.

I question the concept of softly conning unsuspecting people. Only total jerks would do this.

If you are a section hiker is it yogi-ing? Slack-packer? Yellow-blazer?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Is this a poll to see how well you yogi from people, or how well people yogi from you? I think both questions would be valid.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I had some fun with the Art of Yogiing in the Whites. Here is a link to my blog entry from that day: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=429973

Today I want to give y'all a lesson on the art of Yogiing. To Yogi is to
    secure food from non-thruhikers, preferably through very subtle cues. The more
    subtle the cue the better the Yogi. I had a great day with my Yogiing attempts
    today. That has not always been the case. I have often failed miserably on what
    I thought were slam-dunks.

First was breakfast. The dad who has been fly fishing the evening before was
    cooking pancakes on his large camp stove. I mentioned that that was an
    impressive stove. He then asked what kind of stove I had. The bait had been
    taken. The fisherman had become the fish. I said that I didn't carry a stove and
    settled for hot food on town stops. He then kindly asked if I would like a
    pancake. "Heck yes I would." I got three.

The second time was from this nice couple. We were hiking the same trail and
    had chatted on and off. We just happened to take a snack break on the same
    mountain top. I mentioned something about the wild blueberries to get the
    conversation switched to food. They asked how often and where I resupply food. I
    said that in The Whites it can be a long way between spots, which is true.
    Looking good so far.

They then offered me some chocolate-covered cranberries. She opened the bag
    expecting me to reach in. As a thruhiker it is a no-no to reach in another
    person's food bag. Our hands are simply not clean, so I opened my hand to have
    her pour some in. Along with this being proper trail etiquette it scores more
    pieces. Win-win.
    I continued to see this couple and we kept chatting. As we were talking about
    things related to the trail, I owned-up to my Yogiing. Fortunately they thought
    is was funny and all in good humor. It's small stuff like this that just add so
    much to a day.
    I think I had an "accidental Yogi" later on in the Whites. A weekend hiker tried to give me $10 to "get a good meal". I politely declined.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Is this a poll to see how well you yogi from people, or how well people yogi from you? I think both questions would be valid.
    To answer ur question.... I'm terrible at yogi-ing from other people. It's not black and white.. this yogi-ing deal. It's not all a negative, IMHO.

I find it easy to give but find it harder to receive. That's not good, sometimes. TOW helped me with that when we I met him in Damascus. He's a giving person so he wanted to give me something. I told him no at first but he called me on it. I, then, graciously accepted his gift and I have enjoyed it so much. THANKS TOW!!

I don't feel like people yogi from me successfully very often, in a negative way. Giving people take that chance, all the time. I'd rather be taken advantage of sometimes then not be a giving person. I can usually tell when someone is being a jerk, like Rasty said.

If I don't want to really know, I "overlook" things. I'll admit it. But, I feel my generosity is in synch with my "gut feeling", most of the time.

Obviously, there's something in it for the ones that gives to others, that's the way we are "wired". It does feel very good & if you are a "people person", there's that too.

The worst "givers", in my opinion, are the ones with strings attached.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I question the concept of softly conning unsuspecting people. Only total jerks would do this.

This is my opinion as well.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I'm the yogiee not the yogier... I dunno why, but it's always been that way. I think my enthusiasm for things makes it easy to get me sharing what I got with you.

I wish I hadn't read this thread. I'd prefer to be naive and think of myself as kind hearted rather than an unsuspecting fool. I'll never be able to do anything nice for another hiker again without wondering if I'm being played.

I personally feel better if I am in a position to reciprocate in some way. I do not feel good about accepting things of value from strangers without providing anything in return. The instinct of reciprocity is a fairly basic psychological trait that most people seem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by ITri View Post
    I wish I hadn't read this thread. I'd prefer to be naive and think of myself as kind hearted rather than an unsuspecting fool. I'll never be able to do anything nice for another hiker again without wondering if I'm being played.
    Then you've been played. Don't neglect the natural generosity in your spirit. Its a gift given to you, for your benefit. There is a difference between being a fool and a friend.
    Trust your gut.
    Last edited by aficion; 11-18-2013 at 14:45.

A lot of people don't get what it is to be a yogi. It's not the same as begging and you DON'T do it to other hikers. And you're never ever direct, such as walking up to picknickers and saying something like: "Boy, those are some real nice looking hotdogs..." That would be too direct.

This is all about unloading food off of over-fed Americans that have obviously brought out too much food with them, as they always do. You also have to know when you've overstayed your visit, even if you failed at your yogi attempt.

Americans throw away 90-billion pounds of food per year; that is why yogi'ng is a good thing http://www.fresnobee.com/2013/06/16/...d-at-home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    A lot of people don't get what it is to be a yogi. It's not the same as begging and you DON'T do it to other hikers. And you're never ever direct, such as walking up to picknickers and saying something like: "Boy, those are some real nice looking hotdogs..." That would be too direct.
    So it is basically some sort of game? I don't get it ... if I ask someone at a trailhead for a ride, that isn't part of the game but if I say "Man, that's going to be a LONG walk to town" and try to look pathetic and tired and THEN get a ride offered, that's within the rules?

Seems like a silly distinction to me. Might as well be direct and, if possible, offer something in return like helping chip in for gas.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    So it is basically some sort of game? I don't get it ... if I ask someone at a trailhead for a ride, that isn't part of the game but if I say "Man, that's going to be a LONG walk to town" and try to look pathetic and tired and THEN get a ride offered, that's within the rules?

Seems like a silly distinction to me. Might as well be direct and, if possible, offer something in return like helping chip in for gas.
    It is basically hanging around people who are out for the day who are interested in what you are doing and have stuff they are glad to share while you both enjoy each others company, and you enjoy their generosity. Nothing sinister. I don't do it because I'm pretty much out there to get away from people for a bit and have what I want and need with me.

Quote Originally Posted by ITri View Post

Your avatar is so cute & goes along with ur comment, I think.. CUTE!

I can relate & I'll tell you straight up how it's affected me.

If you do nice things for hikers & then hear how people really feel about your generosity and how they "play" you, it's depressing and hurtful. It makes you not want to do anything nice for anyone EVER again.

I have felt like a total fool after reading such comments.

The negative thing that has happened to me, personally- I have changed b/c of it. I'm not nearly as generous as I used to be & I think twice about everything I do.

On a positive note... I have learned that not everyone wants to be "bothered" with acts of kindness. I am so much more aware of that now too. That was a good thing that came out of it all. I can totally understand that. It's good to find that balance.

It caused me to do a lot of introspection, that was a good thing too!

It rocks ur world for a moment but then you find your joy again. :>)

I've been taken advantage of many times and there's nothing that I hate more. As a nurse, I've gone hungry after giving my lunch away to homeless patients, and buying food for their children, and partner, only to see them later buying cigarettes and junk food. This **** is no different. I'm outta here, WB is definitely not good for my soul right now.

Holy Cow, that is the mother of all overreactions.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Holy Cow, that is the mother of all overreactions.
    Seems to be going around. Did you see that moon last night?

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    It is basically hanging around people who are out for the day who are interested in what you are doing and have stuff they are glad to share while you both enjoy each others company, and you enjoy their generosity. Nothing sinister. I don't do it because I'm pretty much out there to get away from people for a bit and have what I want and need with me.
    I don't think that it is sinister, I just wonder whether being direct isn't a better way of going about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++