Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I don't know if they are still open, but we got a shuttle from Buck n Bass in Salt Springs. I hope they are -- they were really nice and helpful.

I remember hanging my food some nights, and sleeping with it other nights in actual campgrounds. I don't recall any trouble finding a tree to hang.

I liked this section of trail. It was unusual, not as easy as I expected, and I'd like to go back at some point.

BTW it's okay to sleep behind the 88 Store, though we ended up tenting in the woods maybe a quarter mile back on the side trail from the FT to the store. The store is amazing in all sorts of ways.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

checkout my Trail Journal from my Ocala NF thru hike in Feb 2012: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14701
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I'm planning to hike 80 or so miles of this area sometime in the next couple of months also, is there any info on the web about water sources and camp sites?

I was very lucky last year to get in touch with a nice lady from a local FTA chapter near Buckman Lock... she was nice enough to shuttle me from the southern end of the forest up to Buckman Lock. I could not find a reasonable shuttle driver down that way, there was one person advertised at a bait n tackle store, but her price was very high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Footer View Post
    Fellow Hikers,

Since I plan to end at Alexander Springs, that is where I would like to leave my car. What would be my best way to get a ride/shuttle to Buckman Lock to start my hike?

you definitely do NOT need a bear canister on the Florida Trail. You can try hanging, but I just double bag food (currently using an Ursack), and keep food with me at night in tent or tarp. Never had a problem.... just follow normal camp protocol for food and cooking, eliminate any food odors that might attract Florida black bears and you will not have any problems......
    Quote Originally Posted by Footer View Post
    As my plan hike get closer, I keep coming up with additional questions. Will a bear bag work, or will I need a bear resistant canister?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++