WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Another MYOG Backpack

I got bit by the DIY/MYOG bug real bad after I made a Caldera Clone. I have been trying to upgrade my back for some time now and since I have recently picked up some decent second hand gear. A have been combing Craigslist and the for sale forum here with no luck. I have a pretty long torso, 22-23" and apparently most that hike at 5'8" with a 18" torso. So buying a new pack was out and I know how to sew and figured I could accomplish it. I did a good amount of research while looking here and BPL. Looked at Zimmer packs, the G4, countless other packs and visited Bass Pro, REI, and Field and Stream.

Went to JoAnn fabrics and got some ripstop, some of the lighter so I think 1.4oz/yrd? and the heavy black, some buckles, some clips, thread, and an awesome seam ripper. So I did the shoulder straps first and used the good ole Wal-Mart blue ccf pad. My first set felt too skinny so made a wider set and they were too big but I could take them in. I think 2.5" wide foam is what I ended up with. So then came construction of the back panel, I knew I wanted 2 stays and hopefully a back sheet. I found a Ospery hip belt at REI for $6 during their garage sale. So the back panel has a lot going on. I wanted everything removable so that added to it all as well. Used grossgrain to contain the stays and some velcro to be able to remove them. Made a sleeve for the corrugated plastic as the back sheet. Got some mess for a front pocket to put wet things in and I wanted shock cord for a webbing structure but had some paracord around. Tapered height pockets with grossgrain edges for side pockets. I used the side stabilize straps from the Osprey pack to cinch the lower part of the pack closer. This really helps. Has a removable/adjustable pack pad. I wanted airflow to my lower back and achieved this my stacking 2 - 3/8” pieces of CCF together.

When I first designed it I didn’t want it to be too big so It was somewhere in the range of 9” deep x 15” wide x 24” tall plus the collar so ~55L plus. Which was way too big even for the winter. So I took it each panel apart and chopped away. Tapered the bottom of the pack because I didn’t like the way when it was rectangular the back billowed out. So the pack now it 13” wide at the back panel, 10” wide at the front panel, 8” on the diagonal and still 24” tall. So now down to 32L or so which fits my cold winter gear and 4-5 days of food.

It could be lighter of course but I like that I can decide if I want a hip belt, back sheet and stays in the pack. Without the sheet it becomes lumpy and rounded and with it the stability increases. So just under 2 pounds with hip belt and stays 1lb 14 oz and with sheet 2 lbs 2oz. Holds my gear well and is comfy. I have never owned a pack tall enough to get the straps off the tops of my shoulders and this one finally does. What a difference.

Pictures!!!! First is it with my winter gear and my sleeping bag unstuffed in the bottom to give the pack shape. Next 3 are the "big" size bag and the last 2 are of the new bag with all my winter stuff in it. Roll top isn't even being used. I bet with 3-4 ds of food it will come in handy.

IMG_20131020_094752.jpgIMG_20131024_212832.jpgIMG_20131024_212853.jpgIMG_20131024_212912.jpgIMG_20131116_164715.jpgIMG_20131116_163018.jpg

Images

You seem gifted. I love both designs and color and pretty much everything. Congratulations.

Images

Nice job !!!

Well made. Great colors.

Thanks, I have a 3 day hike from Springer to Neels in a week. Hopefully it does well. It has about 40 miles on it as the bigger pack.

Nicely done. Looks very professional.

Very nice, envy people who can sew. I have been banned from the wife's machine. I am constantly changing a G4 pack, will try the corrogated plastic instead of my current aluminum and pvc pipe stay. The Osprey belt is a great idea. I might add shock cords to place a CCF pad on the top, easy access for stops. Thanks for the posting, great ideas.

++ New Posts ++