WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fiber Enthusiasts

Are you a knitter, weaver, crocheter, or spinner? What are your most useful trail-related projects? Do you take projects with you to work on during down time?

I'm especially interested in experiences weaving with UHMWPE.

Images

I thought this was about being more "regular". But I respect crafters, have some experience with wicker- cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
    I thought this was about being more "regular". But I respect crafters, have some experience with wicker- cool stuff
    I started my day with a laugh! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! The rain and gloomy weather will NOT get me down!

Images

I got started knitting in 2006. Learning to knit for myself was pretty much the only way to get historically accurate, hand knitted clothing for myself and friends. I had been sewing historic clothing since the early 90s so it was just a natural progression. Most of my knitting is WW1 era clothing along with some 17th century stuff. I have a pattern for a 17 century undershirt that I am going to knit in the near future.

While I do enjoy knitting, I find that there are not many things that I would knit for backpacking, other than maybe hats. I find that I would rather buy wool hiking socks rather than make them and I have more fun with the historic patterns rather than contemporary patterns.

The nice thing about knitting though is that it does keep my hands and fingers limber.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I got started knitting in 2006. Learning to knit for myself was pretty much the only way to get historically accurate, hand knitted clothing for myself and friends. I had been sewing historic clothing since the early 90s so it was just a natural progression. Most of my knitting is WW1 era clothing along with some 17th century stuff. I have a pattern for a 17 century undershirt that I am going to knit in the near future.

While I do enjoy knitting, I find that there are not many things that I would knit for backpacking, other than maybe hats. I find that I would rather buy wool hiking socks rather than make them and I have more fun with the historic patterns rather than contemporary patterns.

The nice thing about knitting though is that it does keep my hands and fingers limber.
    Thats awesome! With all the high tech fabric available, there aren't too many practical uses for organic fibery stuff. My luxury item on the trail is always a small bag with a sock project. I've been knitting socks for years but haven't figured out how to knit while walking without killing myself.

Last week I did some research on weaving with UHMWPE and it looks like it's not going to happen. Sourcing the fiber and expense being the prohibiting factors. Woven UH... is being used for modelling (miniature boats, planes, etc.) and high tech medical supplies.

I had a chuckle too... good one keepitsimple! :>) This is a fun thread! I wish I could knit etc.. I can sew on a machine, tho. Love it!

I thought "well I like fiber ok but I don't really get enthused about it" then I saw the post. Like HM I can sew a little but I'm not a knitter.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

++ New Posts ++