WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My experience with 100% merino wool including icebreaker is that it is far less durable then polypro. The perforamnce is great and I expreciate the odor resistance but it tears easier in normal use. I use seam sealer to seal the tears and it works but I have mountain hardware polypros that are darn near impossible to tear in normal camping use. Woold does standup better it you are messing with campfires as one good ember will melt a hole in polpypro.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Just a thought traditional dress never really had wool right against the skin since the death of the British union suit. In Britain, this garment has often been known as "combinations". When made from the traditional wool as recommended by Gustav Jäger, these are "woolly combinations"—sometimes abbreviated to "woolly coms". The invention was truly American and was flannel here-not wool

Oh I just saw the above post - I would never claim to be a gear god... not my style.
    WOO, wool is in fact probably the most traditional fiber worn against the skin, especially with the rise of our underclothing as we know it today.

As well flannel is traditionally wool, probably originating around Cardiff sometime about the 16th century, and certainly well established by the end of the 17th century. Flannel fabric was losely woven yarns for softness and then fulled to increase that softness. Any historic reference to simply "flannel" it is referencing a woolen, and through the 19th century cotton flannel will generally be referenced as Canton flannel. And our modern shirt flannel is more accurately "flannelette."

I have in my collection I have an original pair of gray-stuff (wool cotton blend) unissued drawers manufactered about 1907 (and interestingly with a 44in waist. Probably why they were not issued).
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

I feel left out. I don't wear a single fiber of wool in any of my BPing clothes. Proof that there are 100 ways to do things. Don't sweat the small stuff.

In terms of durability, what are the expectations of someone buying a base layer? I personally would not expect a base layer to last more than a season of heavy use and look at the cost in terms of the dollars spent per day of use. I have a smartwool shirt base layer that I've used probably 40 times over the past nine months and it has developed four holes so far each of which I caught early and fixed with my sewing kit. I have washed it maybe 6 or 7 times - possible because it really doesn't retain odor.

The shirt doesn't look at that great anymore due to the patches but is still perfectly functional and probably good for another 40-50 uses before it becomes too shabby to wear anymore. I paid about $50 for this shirt on sale (Sierra Trading Post) so the cost per use will probably be 50-75 cents before I have to discard it. To me that seems pretty reasonable and a small component of the cost of any trip. The key seems to be fixing the tears early; otherwise the shirt probably would have been useless after 20 uses. Also anyone who puts a smartwool layer in a washing machine really frequently will probably not be happy with durability.

Images

I expect my base layer to last much longer than 40 uses and 4 holes. I also expect it to last more than one season. Or month in your case. So I guess I'll stick with my cap 3. They will last years.

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    I expect my base layer to last much longer than 40 uses and 4 holes. I also expect it to last more than one season. Or month in your case. So I guess I'll stick with my cap 3. They will last years.
    That's definitely true. I have cheap Wal-Mart shirts that I use for running that have lasted for several years.

I've heard so many good things about merino wool that I'm definitely gonna try some. Some things have a bit of lycra in them for stretchiness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++