WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cheoah Bald overnighter.

I'm thinking about doing an overnighter leaving the NOC and camping on Cheoah Bald the weekend before Christmas. Return the way I came the next day and finish with lunch and a beer at rivers end. It looks like a hard pull. Technical or just steep? Doable in 5 hours for someone in good shape but not thru hiker shape? Should I fill all my water bottles at sassafras shelter? If the weather is crazy, I figure I can drop back down to the shelter. Hoping to catch the sunset.

Its a long steady grind, not technical at all. The NOC is only 130 miles from Springer, so nobody is in thru hiker shape yet. If you search around on this website you see posts where people say there is water on top of Cheoah. I'll just point out that neither the Companion nor the ATC GA/NC Guidebook show water on Cheoah. If I was going I'd take water from Sassafrass.

5 hours is more than enough time. I did it pretty quick in 2012. I'm not sure about water but I would leave Noc with 3 liters just to be safe.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Images

Fill all my water bottles at sassafras shelter. View from the top are great. Enjoy!

5 hrs should be plenty of time to get to Cheoah Bald. It's just 1.2 miles from sassafras shelter to the bald which has great views and take your water with you, there is no water up there.

Images

Incredible sunset. Enjoy! Get water at sassafrass.

Thanks guys!

Or...leave your car at the NOC and get shuttled to Stecoah Gap and hike to the bald. Easier climb starting at the Gap. Hike down to the NOC the next day as planned.

Images

Good plam. Will aldo get to see more of the trail.

Yes water up at Sassafras Gap Shelter, I have heard some folks talk about an water source on Cheoha but i have never found it, but their is water at a small gap about half way between Cheoha and stecoha," about a mile past cheoha", Me and my girlfriend is basically doing the same thing this up coming Weekend. except we are hiking from N.O.C camping on Cheoha and hiking on to Stecoha Gap. No the climb is not that hard it's just a steep, steedy climb from the NOC, 5 hours should be plenty of time, I did it in like three to four hours on all of my thru-hikes.

If I wanted to to do the stecoha gap to NOC section, who's a good shuttle? Also I assume you can pretty much park anywhere on the NOC campus for free?

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

No water on top, but a great place to camp.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

No suggestions on shuttle. Yes you can park for free at the NOC. Ask at the main office on where to leave a vehicle. In the past, I've always been directed to park up the hill past the fancy restaurant. I think it was near base camp.

Journal Entries

Why not do Siler's Bald instead unless you just want to hike. Park at Wayah Gap and hike up two miles and you get the sunrise and sunset and great view.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My newbie 23-yo daughter and I made it to Sassafras in 4 hours on a humid, warmish afternoon in mid-May without difficulty. We stopped for an early dinner at the shelter, swatting gnats the whole time, before covering the last 1.2 miles to the Bald in half an hour. Yes, steep towards the end but pretty easy after a quick rest and re-fuel.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Have done it both ways and the hike from Stecoah Gap is much easier. Plenty of water when there has been rainfall. If you get in a bind on top and dont have water, walk down the Bartram Trail til you hit Ledbetter Creek.

Call Donna at 828-735-3368 or Kathy at 803-899-4438 for a reliable shuttle

++ New Posts ++