Last night I started mapping out a rough plan for the Colorado Trail next summer using the official guidebook and map book materials. I am planning a 20 mpd average pace with, at most, 4 zero or near zero days for a total trip length of four weeks. Part of my motivation for doing around 20 mpd (even though I have the time to go slower if I wish) is to "test" myself for the pace I intend to hike on the PCT in 2015.

One question I have is whether I should take it relatively slow on the 105 mile section from the start to Breckenridge. I intend to arrive at the trail in solid shape already so the main issue is elevation. The trail doesn't rise above 10,000 feet until about mile 50 or so. My current plan is to take six days to reach Breckenridge rather than five with the first day at only 8.7 miles (to reach Bear Creek). I wouldn't sleep above 10,000 feet until night 3 in the middle of Segment 4.

I don't intend to resupply before Breckenridge so I'll be carrying around 5 1/2 days of food at the start with total starting pack weight of ~27 pounds.

This year I hiked the JMT and slept under 10,000 feet on the first three nights and then had very minor altitude related issues on day four over Donahue Pass (just over 11,000 feet) and never had altitude issues after that. So my current plan is similar except I sleep above 10,000 feet on night 3.