WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spices

Default spices

so what spices do you bring with you ? How do you carry them? and how much? The local Chinese store has these large bottles of stuff like dried garlic & onions, and several curries, every spice you could think of,and a bunch you did not know about. curried grits sounds ok to me. maybe with dried apricots

Images

My little Lexan pepper grinder. It's reliable enough it does double duty in the home kitchen. I add other spices as needed to the freezer bag of food: garlic powder, dehydrated onions, whatever herbs go with the meal in question.

Most of my meals are homemade dehydrated with all the herbs and spices already in them. I do however take some extra just in case they need a boost. Also for the fresh foods on the first couple of days. Which herbs and spices depends on my meal plan. I individually package them in the small zipper craft bags like these: http://www.amazon.com/1000-Zip-Baggi.../dp/B001G7X3GO

I will be doing a 214 AT thru hike. I will be carry black pepper in a old film canister, also some Frank's red hot

Images

I carry a small 4oz plastic bottle of olive oil, small plastic vile of salt, pepper, ms dash, and a repurposed eye dropper bottle of texas pete.

Spices - for Chai, Oatmeal, and Soup
    Anise
    Black Pepper
    Cardamom
    Cinnamon
    Cloves
    Ginger
    Nutmeg
    Pepper

Herbs for Soup
    Parsley = great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, calcium and mild enough to use alot
    Paprika = also mild enough to use alot in soup of this as it is essentially dried sweet peppers
    Herbs Provence = nice French mix
    Herbs Italian = nice Italian mix
    Dried Vegetable Mix = easy to buy in nice light container often found in herb, spice section
    Dried Onions = also available but usually already in dried vegetable mix
    Dried Lentils or Peas = not really a herb, this is what makes up the bulk of my soup

Salt = if not already in something else like jerky or skim milk powder (sodium that is)

Take drinking straws and melt one end of the straw closed. Then you can fill with spice of choice. Bend the top end of the straw down to make a smooth kink in the straw (this will make it easier to seal) then melt the kink to seal in the favor. Might be a good way to save a few oz's

Hmm, or go to Office Depot and buy tiny little envelopes. Or make small envelopes at home. It'll be like having sugar packets.

Journal Entries
    Images

absolutely won't do it... and I am a big spice fan. Enjoy the outdoors... UL all the way.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I dry most of my meals myself. I add the seasonings at home. That being said, I carry S&P, hot sauce, and little packets of parmesan cheese.

Journal Entries
    Images

Granulated garlic and onion plus chipolte powder in refillable 1 oz plastic shaker jars available from Spice Barn. Olive oil in the smallest plastic containers I can buy along the trail.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

As a bunch of others have said, I prepare my meals at home in advance. When I resupply, I'm usually buying lipton sides or similar which typically already have the flavoring added. However, they don't include a protein so I always ship ahead extra dried chicken, beef, pork so I can mix it in. But it needs flavor so I also include the appropriate bouillon. Other than salt and pepper that's about it for me on spices.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Chicken or beef bouillon cubes- helps flavor mashed potatoes, Small bottle of Texas Pete. Small bottle of olive oil.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.'
    And God granted it.
    Voltaire

As a scout I had a first aid kit converted to a camp kitchen that had more spices than many kitchens. Agree with all who make at home- seasonings aren't needed.
    That said-
    Garlic Salt and a hot thing (i like chipotle flakes) fix alot of stuff for little weight. I also occasionally bring Oregeno to punch up soups as I often water them down to make a bigger meal.

I use the ziplock pill bags from the drug store. The garlic salt can be a few ounces for a full one, but the pepper flakes and oregeno are only a 1/4 ounce or so each and take little space.

Journal Entries

The AT has taught me the value of spices that have drove world history. Food = morale plane and simple, so the addition of a complementary spice is heaven on earth. even simple things like a pack of mustard. mayo, relish can mean a great deal on the trail. IMHO ketchup serves no purpose what so ever here except for those who bear the trail name.

One time I did have a garlic power 'spill' I don't recomend it as it was almost sickening to sleep by.

a thru hike is going to have different parameters, but on a weekend/week hike i carry all sorts of stuffs. i get into cooking incredible meals on short hikes. bottled beer is high on the list. for spices i carry one of those huge coghlans spice kits. for longer hikes i just grab a handful of salt and pepper at mcdonalds like entitled trash. and always have a tiny bottle of tabasco, it goes well on everything, except your fingertips right before you scratch off down there.

I'm leaning towards ground or flaked cayene, rather liquid hot sauce in glass bottles.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I've heard of using repurposed tic-tac containers for spices on the trail.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

Drinking straws for sriracha, olive oil, and pepper:

Skip ahead to 0:50.

That was awesome, thanks for posting! I probably won't carry many spices but the possibilities of using straws for storage is very cool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++