WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Thanksgiving

Images

Default Thanksgiving

As some may know, I'm re-hiking the trail. I do it mostly in big sections.
    Tomorrow, I'm skipping out on the traditional family stuff and hiking in NC -
    I'll be at Jerry Cabin Shelter tomorrow night - I expect snow and night temps
    in the mid-teens. I might build a little fire. If anyone is game, join me. I'll
    be hiking in from Devil Fork Gap and then hiking back out on Friday - probably
    staying at Flint Mtn Shelter on Friday night. I'll have a 0 deg bag, down jacket,
    and pretty much the works when it comes to winter gear and suggest the same
    for anyone interested - - I might get a crazy person like Tipi Walter to respond
    to this.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'll respond....but unfortunately can't join you. I wish I could though as I suspect your time will be more fun. Anyway, I wish you the best of Thanksgivings in a beautiful place. (and I hope someone shows up to celebrate with you)
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

happy thanksgiving papa d

Images

Thanks - - I like the prospect of solitude - - if my family would let me (and they won't), I think it would be cool to be somewhere really remote on Christmas Eve night - - like Joyce Kilmer Wilderness - - - bet Slickrock Creek and Wildcat Falls have never been jumped in and swam on Christmas Eve - - - brrrrr - - - just the thought chills to the bone (but if you had a big campfire at the nearby campsite and a shot of liquor, I might do it and run to the fire) woo hoo
    Last edited by Papa D; 11-27-2013 at 21:57.

Images

Maybe next time. I'm hiking from Sams Gap - Hot Springs in a couple of days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    Maybe next time. I'm hiking from Sams Gap - Hot Springs in a couple of days.
    nice - - I'll leave you a shelter journal note. Sometime last winter, I hiked into Jerry Cabin from a side trail and did a little clean-up there and then hiked to Hot Springs. The folks at Hemlock Hollow (near Log Cabin Road) just before Allen Gap are great if you plan a stop - - I didn't stop last time but have been there before.

Images

No stopping on this trip. But someday I hope to check out hemlock. Looks like some night hiking too this trip

I'll be thinking of you at our family table. Do enjoy your Holliday your way.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Have fun Papa D... I know The Cleaner went up there and chopped some wood for Jersey's Cabin recently!

++ New Posts ++