WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Planning a thru hike to maximize daylight hours

Hi all,

I'm interested in fastest known times on the long trails and how to maximize the chances of success. Daylight is one consideration for any aspiring record breaker. I remember Matt Kirk saying something about extra daylight while he was passing through the Whites helping to offset the slower miles. A hiker who can take good advantage of the light the day affords him could even forgo the weight of a headlamp. But when and where should a hiker start to get the most daylight on his thru hike?

I found this question kind of tricky, because while the summer solstice is the longest day of the year north of the tropic of cancer?, that day is more than an hour longer on katahdin than on springer. I wont try to explain. But the the answer to maximizing daylight the most naive one, that nobo or sobo doesn't matter, but just plan for the middle day of your thru to take place on the summer solstice. This is because either sobo or nobo, by the time you are on K or springer you will be about 30 days from the solstice on a 2 month hike, or 60 days on a 4 month hike, etc. So nobo or sobo doesn't matter because either way your day length will be exactly the same at every location.

Now, I'm assuming a simpler model where the hiker travels at constant speed thru 11 degrees of latitude. In reality speed varies and the trail doesn't always point north. But I think the rule is still true: to maximize daylight on your thru, dont worry about nobo or sobo, but hit the middle of your schedule on the solstice. This should hold on any trail. A 58 day hike on the AT using this rule would have around 865 hours of daylight to work with. Starting 10 days earlier or later results in about 3 fewer total hours of daylight. A small difference, but hell i'd take three extra daylight hours.

Thought I'd share my results with the community.

play with daylight hours as a function of latitude and date:
    http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/ani...sexplorer.html

Yes, on a 57 day hike you would want the 29th day to fall on June 21 (most years that's the date of the summer solstice) to maximize daylight. The hike would start May 24 and end July 19. But keep in mind that conventional wisdom holds that SOBO is the best way to go to attempt speed records (you get the toughest part done first and you don't need to worry about the Hunt Trail to the top of Katahdin being closed down by bad weather on the day you want to do your NOBO summit) and starting May 24 SOBO poses problems. Many years the Hunt Trail hasn't even been opened by then, to name one problem. I believe the recent successful SOBO record speed attempts (Jen and Matt) have started the third week of June (IIRC) even though this does not maximize daylight. Of course you could be contrarian and attempt a NOBO.
    Last edited by map man; 11-02-2014 at 20:08.

I would maximize trail conditions and weather before daylight.

That said-I get hot easy and enjoy night hiking. I'd rather walk two hours in the dark than 12 hours in the heat.

For shorter trails- planning your attempt around a full moon is also common practice out west.
    In my limited experience, this method backfired out east. The moon was just bright enough to hurt your night vision and make your flashlight less effective.

Otherwise a very interesting post and line of thought!

Ditto to JB's assessment. I too would maximize trail conditions and weather before daylight although they often line up with each other. For example, for a FKT attempt of the AT I'm not so sure everyone would want to be at hiking warp speed in the heat and humidity of the daytime ALL the time. Also, what you're contemplating, may not exactly work for all trails for ll trails do not run decidedly north/south.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

That said-I get hot easy and enjoy night hiking. I'd rather walk two hours in the dark than 12 hours in the heat.

For shorter trails- planning your attempt around a full moon is also common practice out west.
    In my limited experience, this method backfired out east. The moon was just bright enough to hurt your night vision and make your flashlight less effective.

Otherwise a very interesting post and line of thought!
    Also agree with both these statements.

Images

Yes, trail conditions are paramount. Like last season when we weren't allowed on K before June 1st. I would also think twice to start a SOBO after a couple inches of rain... That said, SOBO would be perfectly feasible starting on the date map man suggested, given a low snow year. I started last year on June 1st and it was great.

Can't agree with you about night hiking. I'd rather hike in the heat than at night, and of course 12 hours over 2.

I think NOBO starting on map man's date would be ideal climactic conditions for a record breaking thru. You get maximum daylight and get to "hike with spring." Matt Kirk's method amounted to hiking into the furnace (never been down there in summer but I doubt its comfortable). Though it was successful for him, it's well documented that the body performs better in cooler conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    keep in mind that conventional wisdom holds that SOBO is the best way to go to attempt speed records (you get the toughest part done first and you don't need to worry about the Hunt Trail to the top of Katahdin being closed down by bad weather on the day you want to do your NOBO summit)
    Getting Maine and NH out of the way would certainly be a relief. Hadn't thought about the possibility of them closing Katahdin.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Ditto to JB's assessment. I too would maximize trail conditions and weather before daylight although they often line up with each other. For example, for a FKT attempt of the AT I'm not so sure everyone would want to be at hiking warp speed in the heat and humidity of the daytime ALL the time. Also, what you're contemplating, may not exactly work for all trails for ll trails do not run decidedly north/south.
    We cant really maximize trail conditions though. Start time is pretty much your only variable here.

Because longitude has no affect on day length, I think the model does work for all trails in the northern hemisphere.

3 hours of daylight over the course of a thru hike is negligible. You could always hike in the dark for a couple minutes to offset that?

I mean, Swami started mid October and finished in 73 days. Sure it's not an FKT, but considering that he got slowed down by Hurricane Sandy and snow and wasn't going for an FKT, is a good pace that certainly wasn't in the ideal sunlight window or weather window and was the result of other factors, like experience.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    I found this question kind of tricky, because while the summer solstice is the longest day of the year north of the tropic of cancer?, that day is more than an hour longer on katahdin than on springer. I wont try to explain.

dont worry about nobo or sobo, but hit the middle of your schedule on the solstice. This should hold on any trail. A 58 day hike on the AT using this rule would have around 865 hours of daylight to work with. Starting 10 days earlier or later results in about 3 fewer total hours of daylight. A small difference, but hell i'd take three extra daylight hours.
    First of all, the June Solstice is the longest day for anywhere north of the Equator, AKA, the northern hemisphere, and sure, the further north you are, the more daylight, taken to the extreme on the North Pole, the sun doesn't set from the spring to fall equinox's. Not much of an explanation really, just simply because the earth is tilted about 23.5 degrees from the plane of the sun.

I, for one, think daylight is a huge benefit, though I like night hiking (my fairly bright headlamp weighs 1.7 ounces), I can cruise much faster in daylight.

But temperature/heat is much more important, and I'd gladly give up a very meager 3 total hours of daylight to have cooler temps, in fact, I think it behooves you to give up even more and start a month or so earlier. Still, tons of daylight starting in, say, April for a NOBO. For a SOBO, the most common for a speed attempt, you really have to start much later and give up tons of total daylight, of course. I'm basically just repeating what has already been said.

Matt Kirk's method amounted to hiking into the furnace (never been down there in summer but I doubt its comfortable). Though it was successful for him,

Getting Maine and NH out of the way would certainly be a relief.
    Something to keep in mind, both Matt and Jen lived/trained in the Asheville area at that time. So that was the climate they were acclimated to. Jen's final record setting hike almost ended due to hypothermia in the whites and into Vermont.

I personally liked Karl's choice of timeline- An August/Sept Sobo seems like the best of weather, trail, and temps. Nobo is a bit harder to pick a sweet spot for me. If you like the heat- June/July is likely a winner. Any earlier and you face some pretty wet/nasty trail up north unless it has been a freakishly dry winter/spring. If it was- I'd probably go mid may start.

Unfortunately, regardless of where you sit on the political/science/religious side of the debate- Climate Change (no matter the cause) is quickly obliterating conventional wisdom for every one of us. Karl faced an unseasonably wet fall, and ultimately paid the price in blisters. Joey's unseasonably wet season could also have been a factor for him. Regardless of your pace or time- weather is becoming so unpredictable that any choice made is at best a coin flip.

The Sobo vs. nobo debate generally favors the Sobo for a record, although Joey Camps was only a misstep or two away from a Nobo record. FWIW- he was living/training in Utah at the time. His attempt is an excellent one to review.

The record setter is the biggest factor IMO- play to your personal strengths. I wear my pretty skirt and a Merino 1 top into the 30's when I'm moving- much above 80* and I'm going through 3-4 gallons of water a day and constantly fighting heat illness. I can buy a flashlight or two and carry spare batteries easy enough- can't do a damn thing about the heat except sleep all day.

An August/Sept Sobo seems like the best of weather, trail, and temps.
    I was thinking that, too. Could you elaborate on what you think a "normal" weather/trail/temp timeline for a two month thru starting around then would be?

Quote Originally Posted by jawnzee View Post
    I was thinking that, too. Could you elaborate on what you think a "normal" weather/trail/temp timeline for a two month thru starting around then would be?
    Very generally and mainly pure personal speculation from an out of shape nearly middle aged guy who hasn't done crap-

I like fall- the season inspires me- that's the most important of all the "ideal" conditions I could list.

Rain will happen- worst of the heat will have passed- best ballpark-
    August up north- some odd lows into the 40's, some odd highs in the 80's (but they are Northwoods 80's ) but mostly 50/70 depending on elevations. If things are going well- you'd probably keep that range for the rest of your hike as you moved south with fall. That's skirt and merino top weather all day for me- likely not much more than a windshell, sleeping gear, and safety piece (UL down) for me. (basically summer gear) I'm sure you'd see a 30 or a 90 somewhere in there- but overall pretty good weather.

Assuming nothing too unusual- most of the nasty mud should be gone up north. Water will have dwindled a bit as you head south- but at that kind of pace water isn't that big a deal IMO. When rain hits it won't take days/weeks for the trail to dry back up.

You'll have other hikers around up north (if you get in trouble taking risks on your attempt) and fewer hikers around down south to contend with if you choose to push and want to crash at the odd shelter in the middle of the night, or happen to just lay down on the trail for a nap.

My personal feeling- Regardless of direction- Maine to Vermont is something to move through, and AUG/Sept are historically prime times to be there. August down south is dog days of summer- so hard to do NOBO in the same timeframe if you don't like the heat and historically end of September things get dicey as fall and winter blend.

My purely speculative opinion that has no real value-
    Maine to Vermont should be done at a reasonable (relative to the record) pace. Hit that section in the best possible conditions you can.
    The record should be set from Springer to Maine Junction.

Matt was freakishly steady and disciplined.
    Jen exploded around Maine Junction.
    Joey had the record and ****ed up in the whites. That said- the coin could have easily landed on the other side and he would have seriously shaved Matt's record and I greatly admire his huge, enthusiastic balls.

Point being- his hike reinforced the idea for me that you do not make miles up north- you take what the trail gives you and go all out down south.

Unfortunately- I think most of that is pretty well out the window these days, there isn't a normal anymore.

Images

My ideal fast hike of the AT would start early to mid-September start SoBo and follow the fall south. I would do a bit more relaxed 70-75 day schedule. Even with this schedule you risk fall snow storms like we have seen in GSMNP over the last few years but all in all I believe this would give me the best overall weather and experience.

Images

Funny you mention buying two flashlights, Bill. I ran into Ward on the trail in CT this year and he said that's what he did - a flashlight in each hand - with loads of spares because those were the days before LED. I think he had no qualms with night hiking, and that's part of what made him successful.
    Last edited by Linesman; 11-04-2014 at 19:24.

We cant really maximize trail conditions though. Start time is pretty much your only variable here.

Because longitude has no affect on day length, I think the model does work for all trails in the northern hemisphere.
    These two variables are intimately connected, as I said. Start times will greatly affect trail conditions which is what I think you're saying and then not agreeing with at the same time.

It seems to me, and as others are pointing out, and from what I've seen elsewhere from other speed record holders and attempters, is that a later, possibly much later start date than the typical moderately paced thru-hikers, whether going SOBO or NOBO, is the thing to do. I think some good advice was given - play to your strengths.

Also, you mention maximizing daylight hrs. I believe more important than that is that FKTers have OFTEN previously hiked/thru-hiked the trail they attain their records on! If you can name a FKTer who wasn't intimately familiar with a trail previous to their attaining their FKT OR hadn't already attained a FKT on another trail or something similar please let me know about it because I can't name one!

Images

Camps hadn't ever hiked the AT before. I'm not sure the supported PCT dude had hiked the PCT before either.

Obviously there are many factors that go into preparing for a successful fkt. Daylight is just one, but I hope my topic has given it a clear answer.

While we're off topic, why is it that you guys think starting a late season sobo is such a good idea? Mud? I'm personally not sure why MK started so late. As I think I've said, there's nothing wrong with hiking in Maine as early as June 1st.

I betcha if you looked more closely at Camps background it would be telling!

"...why is it that you guys think starting a late season sobo is such a good idea? Mud? I'm personally not sure why MK started so late. As I think I've said, there's nothing wrong with hiking in Maine as early as June 1st."
    I would hope based upon how deep you are are already into the maximizing daylight beta you would already know the answer to this.

Many many times we aren't apprised of record holders complete backgrounds, history, preparation, etc. I find it a VERY RARE thing for someone who doesn't come from a history of long distance running, long distance hiking, etc being inexperienced in trail logistics to pull off a FKT out of the box on their first attempt, especially as one doing their first long thru-hike@$#!

While we're off topic, why is it that you guys think starting a late season sobo is such a good idea? Mud? I'm personally not sure why MK started so late. As I think I've said, there's nothing wrong with hiking in Maine as early as June 1st.
    You live in Maine- you know best what makes sense for you. 80 in Maine is pretty sweet. 80 in Shenandoah can be horribly miserable.
    It's not so much that June/July/August are bad times to be in Maine-Vermont. It's that July/August are horrible times to be down south IMO.
    Somebody like JPD, by all accounts loves and thrives in the heat, and struggled in cold.

Again it's up to you- I live in Chicago- when I go down south and it's 50 I wear shorts and t-shirts while the natives have on 4 layers and gloves. As a Mainer I would think you would see something similar.

Much of the "profile" of the FKT hiker is changing. More and more runners like Joey will keep coming, and at some point massive physical prowess can make up for a lot of shortcomings in experience. This is especially true of the 300 mile or less trails. At some point- if you can run a fast 100 mile Ultra- no amount of cunning or experience will make a hiker beat a runner.

DW is correct though in that most of the longer FKT's favor a better balance of experience vs. pure power. Most of, if not all of the "low hanging fruit" in terms of FKT's are gone. Nearly every FKT of popular trails has been set at or very near the limit. To break any of them requires an exceptional performance.

Most important of all though is you, your relationship to the trail and pure luck.
    I can think of fewer people better qualified than Karl.
    I can think of fewer people less qualified than Joey.
    One or two things could have easily bounced the other way for either of them and we would be discussing their FKT. There is much to be said for experience, wisdom, athleticism, or pure joy- but that isn't the whole story.

People like Matt, Jen, Anish, or Scott are such different folks that the only thing I can find in common with them is that they are fantastic human beings with a very intimate relationship with the trail and the land they travel. While their athletic ability, discipline and experience come to mind, the first thought I have is what good people they are. I for one hope that the FKT's continue to fall in the hands of people like this. It is a romantic notion for sure, but I like to believe the trail is kindest to folks like this. That one does not set an FKT, but exceptional people are occasionally granted one.

Setting an FKT on one of the big trails is like winning the lottery, you can buy a few extra tickets with experience, physical skill, gear, logistics, and a few other factors. But one ticket or ten- your odds of winning are still very slim. Mathematically you may even call a new FKT a miracle.

++ New Posts ++