WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default wind gap,pa. lodging and or tenting

any info. about wind gap , pa.? I'm thinking about a weekender from D W Gap to Little Gap. I figure Wind Gap is my half way point. I need a new tent so I don't know which way I'll bed down as of yet. If it's not too cold when I decide when to go maybe I'll just sleep under the stars! Thanks, stillbill

I stayed at the Travel Inn last year in Wind Gap. I think it was fifty bucks for the very nice clean and quiet room. The owner offered me a ride back to the trail, but I was road walking through Penn Argyl to see the towns and villages, so I turned him down. There is no big supermarket, I only saw a convenience store. There is a great pizza place, a Wendy's, a beer distributor, etc. I think you could stealth camp south of the town, if you get that tent.

It's been very dry through PA, I just finished this section on Sat. (DWG to 501 Shelter) Plan on carrying extra water. The motel at Wind Gap (listed in Companion) filled up my water bladder. They were very nice about it. Spring #2 at Leroy Smith Shelter was dry, but #3 was running. If I had to do it over, I would have brought my filter instead of Polar Pur, as water levels were very low and pumping would have been easier. Water at Kirkridge was a spigot, with a sign noting drought conditions.

There were some additional tent sites at the Leroy Smith shelter. I ate dinner there and continued on south. I didn't find any tent sites until after Smith Gap. It was dark though. It was midday when I went through Wind Gap, so I wasn't paying attention to tent spots. 2.5 miles south of Wind Gap is a pipeline gap. If necessary, you could tent there, open skies at least. The pipeline is buried as far as I could tell.

P.S. Know where Keasbey is?

Images

Default tent sites

There is at least one tent site north of the climb out of Wind Gap and south of a private woods road. I know because the wife and I used it recently.

Default I know Keasbey!

Alligator, Keasbey is the next town over next to Perth Amboy. Thanks for the info. , stillbill

I used to live in one of the houses opposite the fuel tanks on the river. The collection of two families that all look the same.

Journal Entries
    Images

I stayed at the Gateway Motel earlier this month. It's just a few hundred meters off the trail as it crosses US Hiway 33, and they most definitely welcome hikers. My room cost a total of $62, and included full bath, AC, refrigerator, microwave, phone, and 70-channel cable TV. Considering it was right next to a highway, it was surprisingly quiet. There was no clock. There are no services less than about a kilometer away in town, but WG has just about everything you could want. This motel is a great place to stay for the money.

Images

we had a hurricane party at the travel inn in '03 as isabelle was passsing through. the nearby beer distributor has a great selection as i remember.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Wind Gap!

LeRoy Smith is the shelter closest to me. You will find a lot of spots along the trail that you can throw a bag & mat down. The tent area is on the left side of the blue trail going to the shelter. Its under pine trees - so its nice & soft there.
    There's not much water between the DWG and LeRoy Smith shelter, so hydrate and stock up at the Kirkridge shelter.

When U going?
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Forgot to look at the date of the first post.............
    need to get my eyes checked.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

++ New Posts ++