WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thru-hiking with a hammock, but sleeping in a shelter is inevtiable

I've searched and spent a few hours trying to get to the bottom of this. What is the best way to get the best of both worlds on AT? You want to bring your hammock, but its inevitable you'll be sleeping in a shelter a fair amount of times. It's even mandatory at some points.

So, what do you guys think is the best medium for having your cake and being able to eat it too?

Most people will agree that if your going to bring a hammock. Do it right with an under quilt and top quilt. I would say the best option would be a 20* under quilt coupled with a 40* top quilt.

Couple that with a +15 degree sleeping bag liner and you should be set on warmth the whole hike. Lightweight solution, about 2 1/4 lbs including both uq's and the liner.

Now...you gotta make that switch to to the shelter bunk. Having a 40* top quilt and sleeping bag liner is great. Because when you crawl in the liner, your back isn't exposed. And you should warm throughout the hike.

But what do you do to sleep on? If you carry a thermarest neoair, you know have the best of both worlds.. but your carrying 3lbs of insulation. and you just dropped A LOT of coin.

If you just bring a, for example, gossamer gear torso pad.. are you really gonna sleep well? ... but you also cut half a pound of weight.

Whats your thoughts on this topic?

Regards

A torso length piece of CCF would be better than nothing and a small weight penalty. Your feet could rest on your pack. It'd double as a nice sit pad as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    A torso length piece of CCF would be better than nothing and a small weight penalty. Your feet could rest on your pack. It'd double as a nice sit pad as well.
    That's the only "good" compromise I can find right now. But.. don't most people hang their pack to let it dry out because there are a lot of wet days. Now wouldn't sleeping on your damp or wet sleeping bag with a down bag be completely no bueno.

Images

Just bring a Neoair or other similar lightweight pad in length of your choosing, and dare I say, "suck it up" regarding the little extra weight (less than lb). Good comfortable sleep is well worth it. Carrying only one extra pound in order to sleep comfortably in either system just makes more sense than uncomfortable compromises.

If you're using a torso pad and trash compactor bag as an inner pack liner, just turn the bag inside out and put your pack in it before bed. That way you can still put your legs on your pack. I wouldn't wrap it tight, just leave the end open for a little air circulation. Might even dry your pack a bit.

I can tell you what worked for me. I had my 20 degree TQ the whole time.

(1) 1/8" torso pad from gossamer
    No problems but it wasn't that comfortable. It became gradually better as my tissues toughened (just like cycling).

(2) No pad at all
    It worked but it wasn't the most fun. Unless I was physically tired, I woke up a few times. After long days it was not an issue.

(3) z-lite
    It was worth it.

(4) Carrying a UQ as well as a z-lite
    It was worth it in the cold months.

Edit: I slept in shelters or on the ground a fair bit. I didn't always feel like setting up my hammock. But it was the absolute best thing for lunch .
    Last edited by Meriadoc; 01-10-2014 at 07:16.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Images

First of all, you won't use the bag liner in the hammock, trust me on this one - and maybe try it out to see why. Truth is they don't add all that much in warmth.

You're going to want to be in the hammock, but if you're committed to making your setup multi-applicable, then I would go with an air pad for sure... less bulk packed, more comfort on the ground, and they tend to work a little better in the hammock (IMO). I think what I would do is go with a 40UQ and supplement with the pad since you'll have it. Then, I'd get a 20TQ (no bag liner) which will be versatile enough for most any weather.

I know that in general you want most of the down on the bottom, but it just doesn't make sense to me to 1) use more down underneath AND have the pad, while skimping on top, and 2) to have the pad sitting in the pack all the time while you're hanging just because you would rather (and you will) only use the UQ. And besides, you'll be surprised how low you can go with a 40UQ.

p.s. its not a big deal to have your back directly on the pad - you'd get used to it pretty fast. You might checkout the Klymit pads which seem like they would work well in a hammock in conjunction with an UQ.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Your torso ccf mat allows you to utilize a lighter frame-less pack by configuring it into a coil and inserting it into your pack as structure. Personally I do not want to depend on pads that hold air, where do you go when they start to leak?
    Last edited by Son Driven; 01-11-2014 at 22:26.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    but its inevitable you'll be sleeping in a shelter a fair amount of times. It's even mandatory at some points.
    there are about 4 nights you need to sleep in shelter if it is not full (Smokies). why do you think "a fair amount of times". im just asking before you go through all this.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    there are about 4 nights you need to sleep in shelter if it is not full (Smokies). why do you think "a fair amount of times". im just asking before you go through all this.
    I guess I am under the assumption, that there will be times when you arrive to a shelter late. And instead of setting up the hammock, it is best to grab a spot in the shelter and head to bed.

Images

you will be surprised how fast you get at setting up a hammock some people in shelters don't like late comers or night hikers

Images

Jacks R Better UQ and TQ, Neo Air Warbonnet DB =works fine

Images

Warbonnet SL, Thermarest women's Pro Lite Regular, Winter Warbonnet Yeti 3/4 UQ.For Three Season weather I use a synthetic Baby Orca 3/4 UQ. These set ups give me the option of the shelters and the ability to extend the temps of my UQ's when used together. I don't sweat much, so I put the Thermarest in my Western Mountaineering Bag on really cold nights.

I have used a CCF pad and a UQ in winter and doubled the CCF pad to sleep on in the Shelters. I slept well, but was a little sore in the mornings, that is why I switched to the Thermarest, no soreness in the morning. Good luck with your hike and hope to meet you on the trail.

I had great success with double CCFs in very cold weather, never needed an expensive underquilt. 2 CCF pads is a lot of bulk, but cheap and effective. But you know what's easier? Sleeping on the ground.

Your post reads like you never actually slept in a hammock in the cold, just read about it on the internet. Give it a try first. Also try going our for 4 night (heck, that's just a long weekend). You're third day on the trail your perceptions about minimum acceptable comforts start to change.

AT 2012

there is the social component -- maybe that's the issue. or there is the weather component -- maybe that's the issue.

social: everyone else sleeps side by side, chats and hangs out. you sleep in a hammock and you lose a large part of that. it is hard to tell in advance if you will miss that piece of the hike.

weather: no doubt, when it is cold and raining nobody is excited about setting up outside, hammock or tent... well, at least not many are. for one thing, it means waking up in the morning with a least some wet stuff. i think that is the most compelling reason for being able to use a shelter from time to time.

setup time: i agree with Kayak Karl -- not an issue. anyway, what else do you have to do?

comfort: no way to beat the hammock -- but it is more comfortable with an underquilt than a pad, period.

i have a neoair which i bring hiking (rarely) when i think i might need to sleep hammock-less in a shelter. come to think of it -- i've brought it along a handful of times and have never been forced to use it, so my comments about that comparison are worthless. that includes the Whites and the Smokies...
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by DaBrownie View Post
    I had great success with double CCFs in very cold weather, never needed an expensive underquilt. 2 CCF pads is a lot of bulk, but cheap and effective. But you know what's easier? Sleeping on the ground.

Your post reads like you never actually slept in a hammock in the cold, just read about it on the internet. Give it a try first. Also try going our for 4 night (heck, that's just a long weekend). You're third day on the trail your perceptions about minimum acceptable comforts start to change.
    I have camped in my Hennessy a good amount of times. And when I first got it, I was completely unaware of how cold it can get in one. I camped out in the White Mtns with it in March. Temps got down to 28*F. I had a walmart ccf pad, a wool blanket, and a bulky cheap 20 synthetic bag. I was VERY cold that night. Now, after some trial and error. I have slept in 30* temps with a closed foam pad and a nice 20* bag. My old cheapie synthetic just was more like a 35*bag.

I feel as if with a nice extra wide ccf pad and my 20* down bag. I would be plenty warm in my hammock for a thru hike.

I've been out backpacking for 5 nights. But it was warm out, never dropped below 50* and I slept in my hammock every night. I am also proficient at setting up my hammock. I've prob set it up 60 times and I'm at the point where once I find my ideal trees, it takes 5-10 minutes before I'm in bed and that's taking my sweet time. No longer than my buddies who sleep in tents.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the extra wide pad, and next time I go out camping. I'm gonna sleep on that. Who knows, I LOVE a stiff bed.

Thanks for your input

Why is it inevitable that you sleep in a shelter a fair amount of time? The only place it's mandatory is in GSMNP, and that's just 4 nights out of your hike.

I thru-hiked with a hammock and simply committed to the hammock most of the time so carried no pad. I had my Thermarest sent to me for the Smokies, and again when I went through the Whites so I could do WFS and sleep in a few of the huts. Other than that I just slept in my hammock every night.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I like to sleep on the ground sometimes, like when you have the chance to sleep in a meadow on a perfect night, so I carry a pad. Here's what I carry: Warbonnet top quilt - 23 ounces, Warbonnet underquilt - 12.5 ounces, 1/2 of a z-rest pad (6 sections, 6 ounces) and a thermarest prolite shorty pad, 13 ounces.

All together, that's about the same weight a regular sleeping bag and a full-length inflatable.

The quilts are comfortable by themselves in most conditions in my hammock. If it's too cold to hang with them, I can use the pads inside the hammock, too, or I can go to ground with one or both pads, and put both quilts on top. The z-rest is on the outside of my pack, always handy for a sit pad, an afternoon snooze, to go under the inflatable pad to protect it, to bring in the hammock for my feet, etc.

That's my setup, very flexible for almost any conditions I'm going to encounter.

Yea, the extra wide pad would be sweet. Good idea. Gotta keep the shoulders and thighs and knees warm when the hammock squeezes you. I also use to cut sections of a regular blue CCF, maybe 10" wide, stick 3 or 4 inside my bag. That helped too. I never used an underquilt as they always seemed like a lot of trouble and expense compared to CCF pads.

Most of my hiking is in the VA-MD-PA area. Sometimes I got set up for the night before tenters even found a spot sufficiently free of rocks. I haven't used a hammock for the last 2 years. Now you got me thinking about breaking it our of the closet again!

Images

you do miss the social stuff in the shelter. the conversations to all hours, noises in the night, people climbing over you when nature calls, early starters and sometimes the occasional musician, but if you don't take a pad you will miss this. many times saying i wish i could stay, but the hammock you know

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++