WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I'm grateful for all the UL options. If it weren't for UL equipment, I wouldn't be hiking. 20-22 lbs. is all I can comfortably carry so I gladly pay extra to save ounces.

It's just something to talk about on the trail. Like start out with "Wow it's really hot/cold! ... How far are you going today? ... Are Hiker A and Hiker B sleeping together, or are they just friends? ... I thought A had a girlfriend at home? ... But they always get their own hotel room! ... I heard B might be a lesbian ... " Once you have covered these topics to a satisfactory level, what else are you going to talk about? Gear of course!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    You never see them because they hike so fast, but they're there!

Seriously, in my meetup group, we have 3 ultralight guys out of about 15 active members who go on trips.
    My meet up group has a lot more newbies and weekend warriors than serious hikers (me included), but there are a couple of dedicated UL guys. They have their little backpacks and micro tents… its amazing what they can tote around in those little packs. Then there are the guys on the other end. Went on an overnight last month - one guy had an 85 liter pack stuffed full. Now, mine is big - its 75L, so it was nice to see someone in the big boy club, but mine carries a lot more air now that I don't tote so much useless crap (Never let your wife help you pack shop; "Hey, why don't you get this 75L pack, it's on sale for the same price as the 65L pack you want - that's 10 more liters for FREE!")
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

You can tie a lot of stuff on a external pack. I only had to walk about 2 miles. LOL
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    Are Hiker A and Hiker B sleeping together, or are they just friends? ... I thought A had a girlfriend at home? ... But they always get their own hotel room! ... I heard B might be a lesbian ... " Once you have covered these topics to a satisfactory level, what else are you going to talk about? Gear of course!!
    My guess is that if you are not hiker a or b, those outside looking in never cover the topic satisfactorily.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ITri View Post
    I'm grateful for all the UL options. If it weren't for UL equipment, I wouldn't be hiking. 20-22 lbs. is all I can comfortably carry so I gladly pay extra to save ounces.

I can carry more, but I will second that I find about 22-23 lbs as much as I care to carry. And thats about 6-7 days food.
    Its simply much more enjoyable
    And when the food has dwindled a bit, and the pack weighs less than 15 with food and water, you dont even know you have a pack on.
    Anyone that would argue against being more comfortable is ......biased.

I never discuss gear on the trail. Couldnt care less what anyone else has. If it works for them, thats great. Thats really all that matters.

AT towns are pretty close together. But there are other places where the ability to move fast, and carry less overall weight lets you access areas that are not feasible to those carrying too much weight, and moving slowly.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-01-2013 at 17:47.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I had a somewhat haevy pack for my 1992 thru hike but I made it all the way with most of the things I started with. It is now 21 years later and I will still carry alot of things but they will be alittle lighter just b/c I am older, not b/c I wish to carry less or go farther. I'd rather carry the weight and be comfy in any kind of weather eating hot food than go stoveless, eat cold food for every meal and have only just enough clothing protection to save my life when resting.

Gotta love the UL people that on a reg basis ask the heavy loaders for things that they themselves did not bring along b/c it's too heavy. I'll let the m use my stove once b/c they are stoveless, but after that forget it. You put yourself in that situation, you work it out on your own and not have others take pity on you.

Images

I think that many light backpackers( I think OP was referring to them rather than Real ULers) have started with heavier packs at some point in their hiking lives so it is not like that we don't know how comfortable or uncomfortable the heavier backpacks are. Been there done that.

I won't carry heavy loads because :

1- For god sake I have lighter gears that do the same job of heavier loads and I have already paid for them.So why not using them.

2- I plan to hike until I am old enough not to be able to hike and I sure know by carrying heavier packs I AM shortening my hiking carrier and will reach to my retirement earlier.

3- what others carry on their pack has zero effect on what I am carrying on mine so why should I care about it. You have every right to carry as much as you want as long as you want.For me Lighter is more fun . I like to have more fun.

The first debate about pack weight started with humans who hiked out Africa many thousands of year ago! But with all the great technology and competition between corporations for your hiking gear dollar, I would say around 35 pounds seems to be best for most hikers. Also, first rule of light weight hiking is to have a healthy body weight.
    Last edited by double d; 12-01-2013 at 18:24.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Less is better, on and off the trail. I sold off all my stuff except for my Ford Focus, and PC, prior to my 3/6/13 departure for Springer. After completing my AT through hike, all that I posses fits in my Ford. I have a month to month lease. When ever I have the time & funds I will be on the trail again.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Gotta love the UL people that on a reg basis ask the heavy loaders for things that they themselves did not bring along b/c it's too heavy. I'll let the m use my stove once b/c they are stoveless, but after that forget it. You put yourself in that situation, you work it out on your own and not have others take pity on you.
    Just curious how regular this scenario happens. As a UL BPer I have yet to ask any hiker, heavyweight or not for anything because I didn't have it. I have heard this comment before yet it has never happened with me or to me. Would love to know just how regular this really is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Just curious how regular this scenario happens. As a UL BPer I have yet to ask any hiker, heavyweight or not for anything because I didn't have it. I have heard this comment before yet it has never happened with me or to me. Would love to know just how regular this really is.
    It happens to me on a fairly regular basis (a few times a year). They love my Jetboil.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post

I have to wonder how many people carry items requiring a stove, without carrying a stove. Would seem to be very few. I think this is more of a "anti-ULer" myth than anything. (Being offered some some hot food in winter by others might not be though.)

My stove/pot/windscreen weighs a grand total of 1.9 oz. Stove and enough fuel for two weeks weighs 8oz total. Its a myth that a ULer wont carry a stove because its heavy. People dont carry stoves, because they dont care to fool with cooking 1 meal a day, when they already eat the 80% of their food cold. What makes sense?

I have also met heavier-minded hikers, that were still more simplicity minded and did not carry stoves. Just dont see the point when there are many non-heat options.

Theres a whole spectrum.

Maybe UL hikers should not help heavy hikers that twist their ankle or have blisters because they were carrying a heavy pack. Serves the fools right afterall.
    Or maybe no one should help overweight people, because they should know better than to come out without being in top condition.
    Or even, tell anyone else where the water is, because you know, its their responsibility to know these things. If they had a guidebook, they wouldnt have to ask.

We should all help each other out when possible........just because we can.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-01-2013 at 20:13.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I have to wonder how many people carry items requiring a stove, without carrying a stove. Would seem to be very few.

I have also met heavier-minded hikers, that were still more simplicity minded and did not carry stoves. Just dont see the point when there are many non-heat options.

Theres a whole spectrum.

Maybe UL hikers should not help heavy hikers that twist their ankle or have blisters because they were carrying a heavy pack. Serves the fools right afterall.
    Or maybe no one should help overweight people, because they should know better than to come out without being in top condition.
    Or even, tell anyone else where the water is, because you know, its their responsibility to know these things. If they had a guidebook, they wouldnt have to ask.

We should all help each other out when possible........just because we can.
    Great comment.

But it each hiker's responsability to have certain necessary things , like guide books, water filter, stove. If you are going to use it, bring it.

Images

I have no problem with ultralight hikers at all, and I have no problem heating up water in my Jetboil to help them out, or sharing my water. I am a weekend section hiker however and have more fuel than I normally need and I always carry extra water.

Typical situations I have run into with ultralight hikers is:

1. They either run out of alcohol for their stove or are almost out and need hot water for their noodles.

2. They run out of water on a hot dry section of the trail because they only carry enough to get to the next water source (which is further than they expected).

3. They arrive at a full shelter, cold and wet and expect people to make room.

As it has been said on here more than once, their is a fine line between ultralight and stupid light.

There is nothing wrong with packing light, but packing so light you need to count on the help of others on a regular basis when the going gets tough is stupid light.

I pack as light as I can and still be able to care for myself in the expected conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I have no problem with ultralight hikers at all, and I have no problem heating up water in my Jetboil to help them out, or sharing my water. I am a weekend section hiker however and have more fuel than I normally need and I always carry extra water.

Typical situations I have run into with ultralight hikers is:

1. They either run out of alcohol for their stove or are almost out and need hot water for their noodles.

2. They run out of water on a hot dry section of the trail because they only carry enough to get to the next water source (which is further than they expected).

3. They arrive at a full shelter, cold and wet and expect people to make room.

As it has been said on here more than once, their is a fine line between ultralight and stupid light.

There is nothing wrong with packing light, but packing so light you need to count on the help of others on a regular basis when the going gets tough is stupid light.

I pack as light as I can and still be able to care for myself in the expected conditions.
    Bolded says it all. Too many hikers try to go lighter without the understanding of what they need. World of difference between a calculated risk (Using a cat can stove that is super light, but easy to crush) and an unnecessary risk (not taking a stove expecting to be able to use strangers' stoves).

No one, I think, can argue that carrying a lighter weight is easier to do and on the body, and can make for potentially more enjoyment in the hike, so long as you have what you as an individual need to enjoy yourself on your own hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nyte View Post
    Bolded says it all. Too many hikers try to go lighter without the understanding of what they need. World of difference between a calculated risk (Using a cat can stove that is super light, but easy to crush) and an unnecessary risk (not taking a stove expecting to be able to use strangers' stoves).

No one, I think, can argue that carrying a lighter weight is easier to do and on the body, and can make for potentially more enjoyment in the hike, so long as you have what you as an individual need to enjoy yourself on your own hike.
    As much as I love to think that no one can argue that, this simple fact has been argued numerous times right here on WB.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I am just glad I hike where there are not all these people sitting around a shelter arguing about how they won't help ultra liters who don't pack jetboil..or whatever nonsense is being talked about.
    Last edited by Mags; 12-01-2013 at 21:42.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    As much as I love to think that no one can argue that, this simple fact has been argued numerous times right here on WB.
    So they are arguing that carrying less is not easier on the body? I'm not saying there isn't lots of contention over going light to go light, just that it's less work to carry less weight, but bring what you need to be comfortable and safe.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++