So I plan(ned) to do the AT this year and now I'm really concerned I’m getting an acute case of cold feet.

By way of background, I decided to do a thru hike this year for a lot of reasons, but the main one is escaping the mind-numbing grind of my job. I'm actually not a mechanic as my handle would suggest, but have been practicing as a civil litigation attorney in Florida for about five years. I work with some amazing people and the actual job is relatively awesome compared to people that do similar work (laid back office, good pay and mostly 9-5 schedule). I'm actually really good at what I do, despite mostly hating the tedious, contentious and unfulfilling nature of the work.

Until about a week ago, I was dead-set on heading out from Springer in March. Last Tuesday, I got an unprompted offer to do a different type of work within my job that could be better/more interesting than what I do now and would definitely be a big, big career booster—a career booster that might lead to work I actually like one day.

It goes without saying that the combined actual cost and opportunity cost of doing the hike is eye-watering. After paying off an ocean of student loans and 10 years of busting my ass in school and work, I’m finally, finally making really good money right now (though this is not the most important thing in life).

On the flip side, I struggle with chasing the dream of “one day my job might be great” further down the pipe. I have never done anything for myself like an AT thru hike—never took time off from school; never have done extended travel, etc.

So are there any 30-something career people who are/were planning on doing the hike and have struggled with the idea of “throwing away” five months and their job, even though you weren’t in love with your job in the first place?