Hello all,
This is my first post so please bear with me.
I have been looking at the new Big Agnes tents and really like the Angel Spring line. My question is, I am looking for a UL tent that my son and I can use for backpacking and car camping but is also light & small enough that I can also use it on solo backpacking trips. Below are the specs of the 2 & 3 person variations. BA only list a 6oz difference in weight between the two tents but the 3 person gives an additional 11sq ft! From what I have read most any 2 person tents are tight if not uncomfortable for 2 people. Normally a good rule of thumb is a 2 person tent makes a good roomy 1 person tent and a 3 person tent makes a roomy 2 person tent. So with that in mind I am leaning towards the UL3 @ 3lb.6oz and nearly identical pack size. I think with custom stuff sacks, trimmed guidelines & UL tent stakes I could get this close to 3lb. 3lb doesn't seem bad for even a solo tent let alone a 3 person. Can anyone give me any pointers as to any disadvantages to going with a larger tent for solo backpacking? Or any other thoughts you might have with this setup.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Tent trail wt packed wt fast fly wt packed size floor area vestibule area head ht price
Angel Springs UL2

2lb 10oz 3lb 1lb 14oz 4.5" x 20" 29sq ft 10sq ft 42" $379.95
Angel Springs UL3

3lb 3lb 6oz 2lb 1oz 5.5" x 18" 41sq ft 11sq ft 44" $449.95