I've decided to extend my spring section hike and now intend to cover the state of Maryland and southern Pennsylvania in addition to Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry. This trip is about 267 miles and I'm planning on fifteen days on the trail. I am somewhat familiar with the trail in VA/WV so I'm on firmer ground with my plans there. But I've never hiked the AT in Maryland or Pennsylvania. I have the Maryland & Northern Virginia PATC book and have used that resource to plan for Maryland. So far I have only used online resources to plan for Pennsylvania.

My understanding is that camping is permitted only at shelters or designated campsites in Maryland and I'm not sure about Pennsylvania's regulations yet. I'm providing my current itinerary below and would like to get feedback on my current choice of camping locations in MD/PA. Should I opt for different choices that could be better in terms of breaking up the days, views, etc?

Also, if anyone has any ideas regarding where I could quickly resupply in MD/PA, that could break up the food carry from Harpers Ferry. Right now, I have a resupply planned in Linden and Harpers Ferry and it might be nice to add one to avoid carrying 5-6 days of food in MD/PA. But I won't worry about the weight if I'd have to go far off trail to a PO, etc...

Thanks.

Day # Start End Day Miles Total Miles Comments
1 Rockfish Gap Sawlog Ridge 12.4 12.4 Dry camp
2 Sawlog Ridge Pinefield Hut 20.8 33.2 Tent near shelter
3 Pinefield Hut Bearfence Mtn Hut 20.8 54.0 Tent near shelter
4 Bearfence Mtn Hut Byrds Nest #3 22.2 76.2 Tent near shelter
5 Byrds Nest #3 Gravel Springs Hut 17.7 93.9 Tent near shelter
6 Gravel Springs Hut Denton Shelter 18.4 112.3 Tent near shelter
7 Denton Shelter Rod Hollow Shelter 18.4 130.7 Linden resupply
8 Rod Hollow Shelter Blackburn Trail Center 17.6 148.3 Stay at Hostel or camp
9 Blackburn Trail Center Harpers Ferry 12.7 161.0 Teahorse Hostel, Resupply
10 Harpers Ferry Dahlgren BP Campground 17.3 178.3 Backpacking campground