Just thought I'd share this with you folks that are using your Sawyer Mini with Smart Water/Soda Bottles as your hydration system.

First let me tell you what my hydration system is.

I use 2x 700ml Smart Water Bottles with Closure Caps
I have a 2L Evernew Bag as extra storage to make life easier at camp.

The Mini Sawyer threads directly onto each of these and I can use water directly from the container.

Now, back flushing the Sawyer isn't hard but can be kind of a nuisance with the supplied syringe Sawyer gives you. If you've used it, you know that it's easy to fumble around with
the syringe.

Someone recommended me to pick up a smart water bottle with the sport cap. The sport cap is of those "nipple" caps. There are some advantages to this.

1. Screw the cap directly to your h20/soda bottle and use it to back flush your mini filter. It works better and makes back flushing much easier than using the syringe. It mates perfectly with the outlet nipple on the filter and it doesn't leak. I also feel like you get a better back flush than use with the syringe. Rather than fumble with the syringe you just squeeze your water bottle.

2. Weight savings! The syringe I got with my sawyer weighs 1.12oz on my kitchen scale as I type this. The Smart Water sport cap weighs 0.18oz. Almost a full 1 oz in weight savings for free. Not bad if you ask me.

3. I keep the regular closure caps on my water bottles and keep the sport cap in my pack as my back flushing tool and as a spare cap just in case I lose one of my regulars.

So, go pick up a smart water bottle with the sport cap and see for yourselves!

Regards