I work as project manager for a large contract security company and have worked with the same client for about 8 years now. I gave my notice on Monday and told both my boss and our client that I was quitting and going on a thru-hike of the AT starting in April.

They were both surprised at first and thanked me for the six week notice. They were cool with me working until I left for the hike.

Then yesterday our client told me that he was going to try and work it so I could return to my job after the hike, and my boss said the same. I told them I was flattered, but wasn't sure that I wanted to put them out like that, and to be honest, wasn't sure if I wanted to come back to my job.

I was called down to my bosses office again this morning and wondered what else there was to talk about. He asked me if I would be willing to wear the company brand and take a GoPro with me to record my trip. He said the company would also want to take a few interviews while I was on trail. I politely told him that this was more of a personal thing and I didn't want to go that route, but appreciated the offer. He asked if I would just be willing to do a before, middle and after interview for the company, and before I could answer he told me to think about it for a few days.

This is not what I was expecting. I suppose it's a good opportunity for some folks, but I personally think it would just cheapen the experience.

I'm considering the interviews, but probably will tell him no.

Has anyone else done something like this? I would really like to hear what y'all think.

Cheers.