My Marmot Helium Long 15 degree bag and Monbell UL Down Parka finally got smelly enough for me to overcome my fear of washing down and actually do the job. I purchased Nikwax down wash from REI and went to a local laundromat with extra large front end washing machines. I used 5 ounces of the down wash and ran the machine on the gentlest setting with cold water for *both* the bag and the parka in the same load. Then, according to the label instructions of the parka, I air dried it while I ran the bag through a giant front end dryer on the lowest setting for five minutes at a time over two hours using balled up socks (rather than tennis balls) to break up the down clumps. Then I let the bag air dry.

End result: I am really happy with how the bag turned out. After redistributing and fluffing up the bag a number of times, I feel like the loft is as good or even better than when it was new, and certainly better than when it was filthy.

However, I feel like the parka is not relofting that well. When I look at the individual down compartments in the jacket, I see the down still kind of clumping even though I can't imagine that it is still wet at all (and it doesn't feel wet). As a result, the down isn't lofting very well at all, certainly not like before the wash.

So did I screw up by washing the parka at all? Or should I have not run it in the same load as the sleeping bag? Or should I be patient and see if it relofts over time? The wash took place last Sunday. Thanks.