I think there is a lot to consider for what type of use you intend your hammock for as well as the type of hammock. I have experimented quite a bit with the intend of tackling the AT in 2016. I consider some sort of pad a necessity for going to ground or for shelter dwelling when mandatory (GSMNP). I have a Warbonnet Ridgerunner (WBRR) and a Luke's 90 degree hammock. I have found that my Exped Downmat UL 7 MW works fine in either hammock since they are both double layer. I have been using a variety of systems continuously since before Christmas sleeping in temperatures from 35F to 40F. It is also important to consider what temperatures you plan on using your hammock in. At this point I do not plan on winter camping anymore, although I have a DIY down UQ made from a rectangular sleeping bag that works excellent in lower temperatures. A UQ is warmer, but I like the flexibility of having a pad. Another positive about the pad is it helps with shoulder/foot squeeze if deployed correctly. In the 90 degree hammock it keeps the hammock stretched out, although a UQ simply gives a different sleeping experience and when you get use to adjusting to the stretch and shrink of the hammock as you shift from back to side sleeping it works just fine. The compromise system I will, at this point, be taking on the AT is a Arrowhead Ridgecreek 3/4 UQ in conjunction with a Sea 2 Summit Comfort Light. I simply wrap the UQ around the pad with the pad "foot" toward the hammock head and insert it into the pad pocket. This way I have the warmth of the UQ, the shape forming comfort of the UQ, and go to ground as needed. The S2S inflatable pad deflates into much less space than a CCF and is far warmer and more comfortable on the ground/shelter. The other option that is up for serious consideration is simply taking the Downmat UL 7 MW.