I finished my first ever thru-hike late last year on the PCT. Like most, I found the experience mind-altering and life-changing and I'm therefore having a difficulty integrating with the working world.

I am fortunate in that I may have some opportunities to go back to a salaried programming job but the thought of being stuck in a cubicle seems like a step backwards in a way. That kind of work - historically - has eaten up most of my time and energy, leaving little of either for more personal development and life goals. I have more thru-hiking aspirations and I love giving time to support these trails and the outdoors community in general.

So it seems there is a catch-22 between needing a decent income to save for another trip while keeping up with living expenses and (hopefully) saving for retirement, but also having time and energy to do what you love and pursue greater challenges.

Certainly I'm not the first to have these issues, so I'm curious how others have dealt/are dealing with this apparent contradiction.

Have you gone back to a familiar job and then taken off for another thru-hike after a year or two? If so have you had any career consequences after a few times of doing this work, then quit, then thru-hike cycle?

Or have you found totally different careers more suitable for this lifestyle? If so, what is your new career path and how do you feel about making the transition?

Your thoughts are much appreciated!