WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Any regrets?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1) I wish I had taken notes in my guidebook like my partner did, because as much as I want to be able to keep a journal, I didn't keep up with a journal, but my partner wrote down the date he stayed at each shelter, next to the shelter name in the guidebook, and the names of the hikers who were there with him. I think that is a quick simple documentation you can look back on and remember what was happening.

2) I knew how to hang a bear bag before my hike, and had done so many times on many other trips, but I was one of those people who ties their line to a rock to throw it over a branch. And my line got irreversibly wrapped around a branch, never to be used again, and this lead to a very unfortunate series of events that ended with a bear stealing all my, and my hiking partners food, and all our gear that was near our food that was not hung because of said rock throwing incident. But the very very very simple solution is to WRAP your line around a rock many times, then throw it, the rock will always be released and never tangle your line around a branch the way mine was. I hope someone out there learns from my mistake!
    Long distance hiking made simple at https://www.youradventurecoach.com

Quote Originally Posted by MalloryMalarkey View Post
    1) I wish I had taken notes in my guidebook like my partner did, because as much as I want to be able to keep a journal, I didn't keep up with a journal, but my partner wrote down the date he stayed at each shelter, next to the shelter name in the guidebook, and the names of the hikers who were there with him. I think that is a quick simple documentation you can look back on and remember what was happening.

2) I knew how to hang a bear bag before my hike, and had done so many times on many other trips, but I was one of those people who ties their line to a rock to throw it over a branch. And my line got irreversibly wrapped around a branch, never to be used again, and this lead to a very unfortunate series of events that ended with a bear stealing all my, and my hiking partners food, and all our gear that was near our food that was not hung because of said rock throwing incident. But the very very very simple solution is to WRAP your line around a rock many times, then throw it, the rock will always be released and never tangle your line around a branch the way mine was. I hope someone out there learns from my mistake!
    Just put the rock in a sack. Why bother tying rope around a rock?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlaze View Post
    Just put the rock in a sack. Why bother tying rope around a rock?
    I gather that it hit the branch like a batarang tied to a batrope and quickly wrapped itself around the branch multiple times resulting in a kite eating tree situation. I expect the lesson learned should have been about having appropriate slack in the line as the rock/sack/thrown object reaches the branch.

That's right, I'm mixing Batman and Peanuts references.

++ New Posts ++