Hi folks -

My first post, hopefully I get the terminology down.

I live near the AT and recently (for the first time) started doing little out and backs of a couple total miles. I've been using an old fishing backpack and only taking water with me.

I want to start doing longer day trips when time allows and have been looking for the proper daypack. I'd like to take a water filtration device, first aid, headlamp (just in case), layers, etc.... I went to the closest REI, about an hour away, but their inventory was very low since they are int he midst of a big sale. I ordered the Osprey Talon 22 based on online reviews and received it today.

I'm just over 6' but have a long torso, usually needing long shirts and my legs only have a 31" inseam. The hip belt, which barely makes it around my size 40 waist, is higher then I think it should be and isn't that comfortable. The mesh section is mostly in my back rendering the pockets not very usable for convenience. The belt sits more on my love handles (I am working on that) then on my hips.

With all of that out of the way...does it matter, really, with light loads expected, that the bag doesn't sit ideally? Is there a more adjustable daypack that I should be looking at or is that the nature of the beast with daypacks?

I'm hoping that I will be able to progress to overnight trips one day with a different bag but 2 right shoulder surgeries and 2 herniated discs in my neck last winter might make that not realistic. Either way, I would like to do more then I am now.

Thanks for humoring the rookie :-)